Slow to load OpenCore/slow to boot Mac

scythelz

AMD OS X Member
Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to OpenCore, not new to Hackintosh, started back in the Chameleon days.

So I just got Mac up and running on my PC, but I have 3 issues I can't quite figure out as nothing jumps out at me. Wondering if anyone else would have an insight, OpenCore is quite slow to load, hangs after selecting Mac OS and then Mac boots up fine but is fairly slow to boot, then just before login I get about 10 seconds of a black screen and my monitor goes on and off. Everything else appears to work absolutely fine though.

Specs are;
Ryzen 5800x3d
MSI X570S Torpedo Max (I've heard a lot of people don't like MSI boards for ryzentosh?)
32GB Gskill Tridentz
WD Sn850x 1tb
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro 4GB
Using Mac Pro 7,1 smbios, I did try iMac Pro 1,1 but got slightly longer boot times with this. Attached is my EFI if anyone can help, I have tried with and without the ssdt for the RX 580, I didn't think this was needed but saw on a few places it increased performance so gave it a shot. Thanks for any help:)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

scythelz

AMD OS X Member
Just to add an update to this, I've just upgraded to a 6800XT and removed the 580 ssdt and dAGPM kext and my black screen with monitors turning off and then back on just before the login screen issue has worsened, this process is now much longer

Update changing GPU to the 6800XT has also interestingly broken sleep, I get a KP now upon sleep

Last edited:

scythelz

AMD OS X Member
If anyone does come across this and would like to help here's my debug log if anyone can spot any issues would be highly appreciated cause the delay in OpenCore loading is all over the place, thanks

Attachments

• opencore-2023-08-02-182556 (1).txt
    256 KB · Views: 0

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi @scythelz,

I've had a look at your build. It seems you were missing a few things in the EFI namely:

SSDT-HPET
SSDT-PLUG
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC
SSDT-SBRG

UEFI > Drivers > Connect enabled

OC Resources folder

boot-arg: agdpmod=pikera (for activating the RX6800)

I've made the changes to your EFI so give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    14.2 MB · Views: 6

scythelz

AMD OS X Member
Hi @scythelz,

I've had a look at your build. It seems you were missing a few things in the EFI namely:

SSDT-HPET
SSDT-PLUG
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC
SSDT-SBRG

UEFI > Drivers > Connect enabled

OC Resources folder

boot-arg: agdpmod=pikera (for activating the RX6800)

I've made the changes to your EFI so give it a try.
Thanks so much for your help @Middleman :) the delay to OpenCore loading has gone now, the only issue I'm still experiencing is this between the stage of the boot process finishing and Mac OS loading, assuming this is where display drivers get inisitalised? I'll link a video of it as it's easier than trying to explain. Not sure if this is something that's fixable?

Thanks again for your time I really appreciate it!

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
Seems normal to me.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi @scythelz,

Good to hear your system is working well! With regards to the screen blackout just before the login page, unfortunately I this also happens to my other systems as well (I have a Z690 board with RX6800 & a Z590I with RX6600 which has the same issue).

I suspect it may be something to do with the IGPU detection that causes the delay. Maybe you could try adding -wegnoigpu and see if it works better.

scythelz

AMD OS X Member
Hey @Middleman just wanted to say thanks again for your help! :)

It is strange isn't it, my 570 never did this, but my 580 did and the 6800XT does it even worse. Interesting that we experience the black screen flashing when these cards can be put in real Macs but don't expedite the same issues lol

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.