Sanity check for macOS 13 or Later

TheOcter

AMD OS X Member
Specs:
MoBo: ROG STRIX X570-i Gaming
RAM: 32GB (2x 16 GB DDR4 GSKILL ROYAL Z)
M.2 SSD: 4TB Kingston FURY Renegade
Processor: AMD RYZEN 5700X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX

Alternatively, I have a different System with:
MoBo: ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
RAM: 32GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 GSKILL Trident Z)
M.2 SSD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO
Processor: AMD RYZEN 2700X
GPU: NVIDIA GTX-1080ti

I'm wondering if I can run Mac OS on either of those builds.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Both systems have the same issue, problems with the discrete GPU.
  1. The AMD RX 7900 XTX is not supported in any version of macOS.
  2. The Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti is only supported in macOS High Sierra, as it requires the very latest version of the Nvidia Web Drivers.
    1. It won't work with full acceleration without the Nvidia Web Drivers, even though there are native Nvidia drivers in other versions of macOS.
    2. These native Nvidia drivers only work with Kepler 600 & 700 series GPU's, but not all of them.
If you have the option to get an older AMD dGPU, as listed in the guide linked below, both systems would then run macOS High Sierra up to and including the latest Sonoma release. Depending on the discrete graphics card you obtained, as some only gained support in newer versions of macOS.

TheOcter

AMD OS X Member
Both systems have the same issue, problems with the discrete GPU.
  1. The AMD RX 7900 XTX is not supported in any version of macOS.
  2. The Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti is only supported in macOS High Sierra, as it requires the very latest version of the Nvidia Web Drivers.
    1. It won't work with full acceleration without the Nvidia Web Drivers, even though there are native Nvidia drivers in other versions of macOS.
    2. These native Nvidia drivers only work with Kepler 600 & 700 series GPU's, but not all of them.
If you have the option to get an older AMD dGPU, as listed in the guide linked below, both systems would then run macOS High Sierra up to and including the latest Sonoma release. Depending on the discrete graphics card you obtained, as some only gained support in newer versions of macOS.

Alright thank you for the information.

I am mainly aiming at being able to run SwiftUI so I need MacOS version 13 or higher as far as I know.

I however don’t know how resource intensive that is so I am unsure what older AMD gpu I should aim for.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You could also use an AMD APU, instead of a GPU if you don’t plan to run any games or high end graphics apps in macOS. I would look at swapping the older 2700X for a Ryzen 4700G/5700G with the Nvidia GPU disabled in macOS. These CPU’s can be obtained from eBay for a reasonable cost second hand, depending on your location.

The motherboard in your second system has an X570 chip and that would make a good base for an AMD Hack.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
AMD RX 580 or better/newer GPU would be more than sufficient for your needs.

TheOcter

AMD OS X Member
You could also use an AMD APU, instead of a GPU if you don’t plan to run any games or high end graphics apps in macOS. I would look at swapping the older 2700X for a Ryzen 4700G/5700G with the Nvidia GPU disabled in macOS. These CPU’s can be obtained from eBay for a reasonable cost second hand, depending on your location.

The motherboard in your second system has an X570 chip and that would make a good base for an AMD Hack.
Would it be possible to get a 5700G and run a dual boot on this system then?

MoBo: X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
RAM: 32GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 GSKILL Trident Z)
M.2 SSD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO
Processor: AMD RYZEN 5700G
GPU: NVIDIA GTX-1080ti

One with windows utilising the 1080ti and the other running MacOS Ventura using only the AMD CPU?

Thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, to both questions.

TheOcter

AMD OS X Member
Yes, to both questions.

I haven't seen so much about the dual booting on the same computer. Is that a much more complex task than just a hackintosh?

And as for an internet connection does the integrated Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 in the motherboard function with MacOS?

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I haven't seen so much about the dual booting on the same computer. Is that a much more complex task than just a hackintosh?

Yes it's possible and relatively easy to do, my suggestion is to install windows first, then remove that drive if not needed for setting up macOS, and then install macOS. That way boot managers do not get tangled up.
And as for an internet connection does the integrated Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 in the motherboard function with MacOS?
Yes if properly configured. Search for OpenIntelWireless or see some of the success stories here.

TheOcter

AMD OS X Member
Yes it's possible and relatively easy to do, my suggestion is to install windows first, then remove that drive if not needed for setting up macOS, and then install macOS. That way boot managers do not get tangled up.

Yes if properly configured. Search for OpenIntelWireless or see some of the success stories here.
So you would recommend getting a second SDD for just Mac OS and?

Which would be better suited:
SATA SSD Samsung 870 EVO 500GB or NVME M.2 Samsung 980 500GB?

Thanks for the help!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Of those two drives, the Samsung SSD is the better option. As the Samsung M.2 980 can be problematic in macOS due to the proprietary NVME controller Samsung have used. I tend to favour Western Digital & SanDisk drives when creating a Hack as Apple used the same NVME controller as used in the WD drives. The SN570, SN770 & SN850 being the most commonly used drives, depending on the PCIe speed of the M.2 connectors on the motherboard.

Dual booting Windows and macOS is very easy, if you keep the two OS's on separate drives. All of my Hacks, 11 desktop systems at the last count, dual boot Win10 or 11 and macOS Catalina or newer.
  1. As @leesurone said, install Windows on a separate drive, but make sure the drive is formatted with GPT UEFI settings (not MBR).
  2. The formatting of the Windows drive is really important to get right. As creating an MBR formatted drive will cause you unnecessary issues and the Windows drive won't be selectable by OpenCore.
  3. I use Rufus to create my Windows installation USB's - http://rufus.ie/en/
  4. Once you have Windows installed shutdown the system and disconnect/remove the Windows drive temporarily.
  5. Then install macOS on a separate drive, once completed reconnect the Windows drive.
  6. Make sure that your Bios points to the macOS UEFI partition as the first boot option, this will allow OpenCore boot loader to discover the Windows drive when it is reconnected. Adding a new icon/name to the OpenCore boot screen or picker list.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.