Random slowdowns and freezes on 7800x3d

istir

AMD OS X Member
Hello,
I ran Ventura on Ryzen 5 3600 without any problem, but recently upgraded to Ryzen 7 7800X3D, Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX and 32GB Corsair Vengance CL30 6000MHz.
After fiddling around in the EFI config, I managed to make my existing installation work. However, every 5-10 minutes, the system stops responding. The mouse works fine, and I can hover over things, but when I click, nothing happens. Music and videos keep playing, although sometimes they freeze for 1-2 seconds (though it's rare). Each slowdown lasts around 10-15 seconds, after which my previous inputs get quickly executed, and I can see a huge spike in disk writes and CPU load.

Initially, I suspected something was wrong with the SSD or the installation, so I tried installing a new copy of Monterey (just what I had on hand) on another SSD, but I encountered the same results. It was a freshly installed OS without any other apps.

Now I'm suspecting the issue may be related to my OpenCore config. I am running the newest release version (0.9.3) and I kinda followed this guide, based on the config.plist by Lorys89. I have attached my EFI folder (with serial numbers removed, they are normally there).

Thanks for help!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have you read and followed this guide for a similar system?

It might be worth a read before you throw in the towel.

istir

AMD OS X Member
After many hours of debugging, changing stuff in EFI and googling, Tim Apple got the better of me and I bought a Macbook.
Now that I think, i haven’t tried installing clover instead of opencore, maybe that would give a different result

svan71

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
After many hours of debugging, changing stuff in EFI and googling, Tim Apple got the better of me and I bought a Macbook.
Now that I think, i haven’t tried installing clover instead of opencore, maybe that would give a different result
Have you given up entirely? What video card are you using?

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yeah, mostly. I still have the drive with hackintosh on it though. My GPU is 6800xt
A quick check of your EFI shows you have multiple entries in your device properties defining wake type I am unfamiliar with, you can disable. I have never seen those used in the many builds here or other OSX sites, not that they don’t work but best to try without. Also your kernel patches are incomplete as only 18 are included, see attached for the latest. The last thing I saw is you haven't undertaken mapping of your USB ports, that by itself could be the root of any of your issues.
Also note if you search here you can find examples of other users builds using the same or similar motherboard and the EFI folders, I've attached mine for reference configured for an 8 core CPU

Attachments

• patches.plist
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
  • EFIGigAMD5.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.