Radeon VII - black screen on GPU load

Seehank

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys, I am running Radeon VII with multiple monitors. Its a grading editing setup. Now the main monitor id 4K the rest are HD I think.

When I used to start rendering the 4K display would flicker once or twice, just a little blink when GPU goes under high load. Now I added long DP cables with repeaters to move the PC out of the room and now when I start rendering the whole screen goes black repeatedly.

Any Idea what could be the problem? Definitelly the repeaters did do some change. The PSU is a quality Seasonic with some overhead, so I dont think its power delivery.

Any idea?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Ok, you already know the repeaters are part of the new problem. So you either need to move the case back in to the same room with shorter DP cables, or purchase longer high quality DP cables, so you don't require the repeaters/connectors.

The original issue of the screen blinking under load may be due to the framebuffer and power settings being used by your Radeon VII.

A lot of users have needed to create a custom Soft Power Play tables for fan and power settings to get their AMD Navi cards to work correctly. If I recall correctly this can take the form of an SSDT, Kext or DeviceProperties injected under the GPU's ACPI path.

I've not needed this with my older RX400 or RX500 series cards, so can't provide a fix but there are a number of guides around for creating the SPP-tables for the Radeon VII and other Navi cards. The link below is for an RX5700 XT but I think there was a link for a Radeon VII in amongst the posts.

Seehank

AMD OS X Member
Ok, you already know the repeaters are part of the new problem. So you either need to move the case back in to the same room with shorter DP cables, or purchase longer high quality DP cables, so you don't require the repeaters/connectors.

The original issue of the screen blinking under load may be due to the framebuffer and power settings being used by your Radeon VII.

A lot of users have needed to create a custom Soft Power Play tables for fan and power settings to get their AMD Navi cards to work correctly. If I recall correctly this can take the form of an SSDT, Kext or DeviceProperties injected under the GPU's ACPI path.

I've not needed this with my older RX400 or RX500 series cards, so can't provide a fix but there are a number of guides around for creating the SPP-tables for the Radeon VII and other Navi cards. The link below is for an RX5700 XT but I think there was a link for a Radeon VII in amongst the posts.

I was affraid you will bring this up :D Buuut I guess its time to do this :) Thank you!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
This might help.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.