R7 6800H, RX6850M laptops having USB issues while installing Sonoma

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Hello, I recently tried to install MACOS on a laptop model: Legion 7 Gen 7. It has a RX6850M XT graphics card. Thanks to the NootRX project, it can run successfully. I encountered a USB non-recognition problem during the installation. It may be The reason why the USB controller bus is slow is not identified. I have tried booting the system to the hard disk without any USB-related kext. The performance is that the keyboard and mouse are very slow. It takes a long time for keyboard input to respond, and it takes a long time for the mouse to move. I used many methods to customize the USB port. Finally, I used the old version of GenericUSBXHCI. kext to start the system on the hard disk. At this time, the keyboard and mouse were normal, but the USB storage function was invalid. It was the same as the Legion 5, but not exactly the same. Does anyone know? Any idea how to solve it?

Model :Legion 7 Gen 7(R9000K2022)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 6800H 3.2 GHz
dGPU : AMD Radeon RX 6850M XT 12 GB ( Navi22 )
Memory : DDR5-4800MHz 16 GB
SSD : Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus +WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0
WiFi : Intel AX210

截屏2023-10-31 12.08.01.png
截屏2023-10-31 12.18.54.png截屏2023-10-31 12.20.38.png截屏2023-10-31 12.22.06.png

WechatIMG3.jpg

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.8 MB · Views: 104
  • Legion 7 Gen 7-debug.zip
    181.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Legion 7 Gen 7.ioreg.zip
    10.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
None of the USB configuration kexts you have in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder are enabled in your config.plist.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 16.21.55.png USB configuration kexts all set to False in Kernel > Add section of your config.plist.

Assuming I found the correct Legion 7 Gen 7 laptop,

It should contain the following external ports:

Left:
  • USB-C 4.0 (40Gbps data transfer, DisplayPort™ 1.4)
  • USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (20Gbps data transfer, DisplayPort™ 1.4)
Right:
  • USB-C 3.2 Gen 1
Rear:
  • 2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 (1 x always on)
  • USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (20Gbps data transfer, DisplayPort™ 1.4, 135W power delivery)
Internally it will contain these two USB ports:
  • Bluetooth USB2
  • Webcam USB2
If this is correct for your laptop, this would mean you have a maximum of 14 x ports available in your laptop.
  1. Only 2 x ports should be set with connector type Internal (255), Bluetooth and Webcam.
    1. UTBMap has 6 x ports, UBMap has 6 x ports and USBPorts has 9 x ports set with Internal connector type.
  2. 4 x ports should be set with connector type USB3 (3), 2 x Type-A ports on rear of the laptop.
    1. The 4 x port consist of 2 x Physical USB3 ports and 2 x USB2 virtual ports.
    2. None of the three kexts have any ports set with USB3 connector type.
  3. 8 x ports should be set with connector type Type-C (9) or (10),
    1. Which connector type is used depends on how the port works when a type-c device is inserted, removed, flipped 180° and reinserted.
    2. If the same USB port is highlighted when it is tested, then this is a Type-c + Switch port and requires the connector type (9)
    3. If two different USB ports are highlighted when it is tested, this this is a Type-C without Switch and requires the connector type (10)
    4. Each USB Type-C connector will consist of a Physical Type-C port and a Virtual USB2 port.
    5. There should be a maximum of 8 x ports set with connector type (9) if they are all Type-c + Switch ports.
    6. UTBMap has 6 x Type-c+sw ports. USBMap has 6 x type-c+sw ports and USBPorts has 6 x Type-c+sw ports. None of these are correct.
None of the three USB configuration kexts you have in your EFI match this setup.
  • The UTBMap.kext contains 12 x active ports.
  • The USBMap.kext contains 12 x active ports (the same as the UTBMap.kext)
  • The USBPorts.kext contains 16 active ports.
The three kexts all contain ports for these USB controllers:
  • XHC0
  • XHC1
  • XHC2
  • XHC3
  • XHC4
XHC1 usually requires renaming (on intel systems) as it can clash with the USB controller Apple uses in their real Mac systems. XHC1 is usually renamed to XHC_ via an ACPI Patch in the config.plist, to prevent this issue arising.

You need to have another attempt at creating a custom USB kext for your laptop. Taking the above information in to account.

I would try enabling the XhciPortLimit quirk in your config.plist, disabling/removing the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and using Corpnewt's USBMap in macOS.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Hello, I recently tried to install MACOS on a laptop model: Legion 7 Gen 7. It has a RX6850M XT graphics card. Thanks to the NootRX project, it can run successfully. I encountered a USB non-recognition problem during the installation. It may be The reason why the USB controller bus is slow is not identified. I have tried booting the system to the hard disk without any USB-related kext. The performance is that the keyboard and mouse are very slow. It takes a long time for keyboard input to respond, and it takes a long time for the mouse to move. I used many methods to customize the USB port. Finally, I used the old version of GenericUSBXHCI. kext to start the system on the hard disk. At this time, the keyboard and mouse were normal, but the USB storage function was invalid. It was the same as the Legion 5, but not exactly the same. Does anyone know? Any idea how to solve it?

Model :Legion 7 Gen 7(R9000K2022)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 6800H 3.2 GHz
dGPU : AMD Radeon RX 6850M XT 12 GB ( Navi22 )
Memory : DDR5-4800MHz 16 GB
SSD : Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus +WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0
WiFi : Intel AX210

View attachment 12259
View attachment 12260
View attachment 12261View attachment 12262View attachment 12263

View attachment 12267
Use the new build of GenericUSBXHCI.

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
None of the USB configuration kexts you have in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder are enabled in your config.plist.

View attachment 12268 USB configuration kexts all set to False in Kernel > Add section of your config.plist.

Assuming I found the correct Legion 7 Gen 7 laptop,

It should contain the following external ports:

Left:
  • USB-C 4.0 (40Gbps data transfer, DisplayPort™ 1.4)
  • USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (20Gbps data transfer, DisplayPort™ 1.4)
Right:
  • USB-C 3.2 Gen 1
Rear:
  • 2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 (1 x always on)
  • USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (20Gbps data transfer, DisplayPort™ 1.4, 135W power delivery)
Internally it will contain these two USB ports:
  • Bluetooth USB2
  • Webcam USB2
If this is correct for your laptop, this would mean you have a maximum of 14 x ports available in your laptop.
  1. Only 2 x ports should be set with connector type Internal (255), Bluetooth and Webcam.
    1. UTBMap has 6 x ports, UBMap has 6 x ports and USBPorts has 9 x ports set with Internal connector type.
  2. 4 x ports should be set with connector type USB3 (3), 2 x Type-A ports on rear of the laptop.
    1. The 4 x port consist of 2 x Physical USB3 ports and 2 x USB2 virtual ports.
    2. None of the three kexts have any ports set with USB3 connector type.
  3. 8 x ports should be set with connector type Type-C (9) or (10),
    1. Which connector type is used depends on how the port works when a type-c device is inserted, removed, flipped 180° and reinserted.
    2. If the same USB port is highlighted when it is tested, then this is a Type-c + Switch port and requires the connector type (9)
    3. If two different USB ports are highlighted when it is tested, this this is a Type-C without Switch and requires the connector type (10)
    4. Each USB Type-C connector will consist of a Physical Type-C port and a Virtual USB2 port.
    5. There should be a maximum of 8 x ports set with connector type (9) if they are all Type-c + Switch ports.
    6. UTBMap has 6 x Type-c+sw ports. USBMap has 6 x type-c+sw ports and USBPorts has 6 x Type-c+sw ports. None of these are correct.
None of the three USB configuration kexts you have in your EFI match this setup.
  • The UTBMap.kext contains 12 x active ports.
  • The USBMap.kext contains 12 x active ports (the same as the UTBMap.kext)
  • The USBPorts.kext contains 16 active ports.
The three kexts all contain ports for these USB controllers:
  • XHC0
  • XHC1
  • XHC2
  • XHC3
  • XHC4
XHC1 usually requires renaming (on intel systems) as it can clash with the USB controller Apple uses in their real Mac systems. XHC1 is usually renamed to XHC_ via an ACPI Patch in the config.plist, to prevent this issue arising.

You need to have another attempt at creating a custom USB kext for your laptop. Taking the above information in to account.

I would try enabling the XhciPortLimit quirk in your config.plist, disabling/removing the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and using Corpnewt's USBMap in macOS.
It should not be a problem with USB port customization. I have tried many kinds of port customization, including SSDT. No matter how I start the USB installation program, it will get stuck in the same place. I can start the system, but the keyboard and mouse are invalid, but not completely invalid. The response speed is very slow.

This is the .ioreg I saved using the touchpad operation when all USBs were invalid. You can see that it recognized all USBs, but I don’t know what caused the slow data transfer, so slow that it is basically unrecognizable.

Last edited:

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Use the new build of GenericUSBXHCI.
I have already used it. The principle of this kext is to skip certain errors and connect to AppleUSBXHCIPCI. Legion 7 Gen 7 does not have this error and can directly connect to AppleUSBXHCIPCI. The USB transfer data is very slow, so slow that it is ineffective. I use the touchpad to operate and save it. Ioreg can see that it actually recognizes all ports.The mouse and keyboard actually work, but it takes a long time to respond.

WechatIMG6.jpg
WechatIMG7.jpg

Attachments

• Legion 7 Gen 7 (2).ioreg.zip
    10.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Your IOReg may show all the USB ports. But that doesn’t mean they are set with the correct connector type.

The laptops trackpad isn’t connected to a USB port. So it working slowly or not working has nothing to do with your USB configuration.

The trackpad requires an edited Voodooi2c.kext. As the current Voodooi2c kext is designed to work with an Intel laptop, not an AMD laptop.

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Your IOReg may show all the USB ports. But that doesn’t mean they are set with the correct connector type.

The laptops trackpad isn’t connected to a USB port. So it working slowly or not working has nothing to do with your USB configuration.

The trackpad requires an edited Voodooi2c.kext. As the current Voodooi2c kext is designed to work with an Intel laptop, not an AMD laptop.
I don't think it's a USB port customization problem, I used USBToolBox to customize it, and the USB customization problem doesn't cause all interfaces to be invalid or slow. (The touchpad is perfectly fine, it may be mistranslated)
By the way, I haven't been able to get Thunderbolt to work, and it's possible that it's affecting the speed of all USB controllers

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I have already used it. The principle of this kext is to skip certain errors and connect to AppleUSBXHCIPCI. Legion 7 Gen 7 does not have this error and can directly connect to AppleUSBXHCIPCI. The USB transfer data is very slow, so slow that it is ineffective. I use the touchpad to operate and save it. Ioreg can see that it actually recognizes all ports.The mouse and keyboard actually work, but it takes a long time to respond.

View attachment 12275
View attachment 12276
Sounds like a TSC syncing issue. Try getting AMDTSCSync with IOCPUNumber set to 0.

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
After several days of constant trying, it still failed. I think this may be a USB4 compatibility issue. Most USB controllers of the R7 6000 CPU are based on USB4. I saw such as HX99G and Legion slim 7 Gen 7 (RX6600S 6800S ) all have the same situation. There is a special GA402 controller that is not based on USB4. It seems that this cannot be solved in a short time, unless the RDNA2 architecture core display can be successful and more people join.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Considering on getting the Alienware R5 with the RX 6850m XT at 175watts. But I am curious if may have the same issues as the Lenovo legions laptops?

Cool to the Legion 7 doing good progress

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Considering on getting the Alienware R5 with the RX 6850m XT at 175watts. But I am curious if may have the same issues as the Lenovo legions laptops?

Cool to the Legion 7 doing good progress
It should be able to be installed normally, as there is no USB4 interface and it will not be affected.

memorytest

AMD OS X Member
pcbeta上看见兄弟的帖子,一路追到这来了,手里r9000p安装了13,看见兄弟的帖子对9000k种草了,有换的必要么?除了usb有点问题,其它都OK?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.