NVME not working on mini PC MF UM690

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi all,
I was able to install macOS Sonoma 14.3 to a MinisForum UM690 (Ryzen 9 6900HX).
I installed the OS onto a SATA SSD. Unfortunately I am not able to get the NVME working, it is not recognized by the OS, neither before installing the OS nor while in the OS and using disk utility.
I have the NVMeFix.kext in my kext folder and also enabled it in the config file. Still no luck.

Hardware:
MinisForum UM690
CPU: Ryzen 9 6900HX

Obviously the graphics acceleration is not working (Radeon 680M is not supported) and thus there is a bit of a lag but still ok.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Which NVME drive do you have installed? Make and model number/capacity etc.
Have you checked that the NVME drive is discoverable in the BIOS, i.e. that the M.2 connector is enabled?
Have you removed and reinserted the NVME drive, to check that it is fully connected in the M.2 connector?
Assumption is that you have the drive connected to the Socket 3 M.2 connector, not the M.2 connector for the WiFi/BT card, which is a Socket 1 connector.

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The NVME drive is a HP M16789-001, it has 512 GB.
I have Win11 on it and it is working fine. OpenCore shows the Win installation on the boot screen but after that nothing.

Attachments

• PXL_20240128_144059079.jpg
    PXL_20240128_144059079.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The NVME drive is a HP M16789-001, it has 512 GB.
I have Win11 on it and it is working fine. OpenCore shows the Win installation on the boot screen but after that nothing.
Hynix controllers can be an issue, I would try a different nvme drive such as a crucial or Western Digital of best compatibility.

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hynix controllers can be an issue, I would try a different nvme drive such as a crucial or Western Digital of best compatibility.
You were right, I used a different NVME and now it sort of is working.
The issue I have now is, I am unable to format it. It starts but after a few seconds I get an error.
Tried in the installer as well as in the OS (which was running from a SATA SSD).

Attachments

• PXL_20240128_162906599.jpg
    PXL_20240128_162906599.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 6

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try running 'First Aid' on the drive, see if that helps.

You could try booting in the Recovery Mode from the OC boot screen, using Disk Utility from the Installation Wizard to Erase/Repair the drive.

The other option is to use Terminal/PowerShel in Windows to Clean, Erase and Format the drive.

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I got it working, it was the NVME.
The first was not recognised because of Hynix, and the second was...no idea what brand it was.
I now have a Samsung 980 PRO and that one works.

Thank you @Edhawk and @leesurone

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You should know that Samsung M.2 drives aren’t great when used as a macOS boot drive. They will work, but tend to have Trim and boot issues after a while, as the Samsung NVME controller isn’t 100% compatible with macOS.

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You should know that Samsung M.2 drives aren’t great when used as a macOS boot drive. They will work, but tend to have Trim and boot issues after a while, as the Samsung NVME controller isn’t 100% compatible with macOS.
Cheers for the advice.
I am still in the testing phase, maybe I will get a WD or so.
Anyway, the GPU (Radeon 680M) is not supported so I am not sure about the computer. I may switch to a HX99G.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
HX99G containing a 5000-series Ryzen CPU/APU would give you a better Hackintosh.

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have seen the HX99G, will try to get my hands on one.
So far it was simply a test, to see how slow is the computer without the GFX acceleration. I doubt the Radeon 680M will ever be supported (maybe with nootedRed).

juanmigueldrt

AMD OS X Member
I have an HX99G machine with a BCM94360NG wifi card and I haven't been able to install any version of Mac yet. Any ideas on what I could do next without having to follow Dalianski's guide in Chinese? I don't have much experience, and I'm quite lost. I know it's possible because I bought this machine just for that purpose. Thanks!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
See this thread regarding the HX99G, there are a couple of EFIs for this system which you can use as a base for your machine.

juanmigueldrt

AMD OS X Member
Thank you soo much

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.