No display detected in System Information

Nextdoorboy

AMD OS X Member
Guys I have weird problem with my hack, I'm using USB-C Monitor with my setup but it does not recognized under Graphics/Displays and no graphics information in About This Mac pane. Also display workin in screen mirroring mode, it is my only display I can't figure why its in mirroring mode and Night Shift does not work.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Questions.
  1. What does System Information show under USB? Is your Display shown on the USB tab connected to the Type-C port?
  2. What does System Information show under Thunderbolt? Is your display shown on the TB tab connected to one of the TB ports?
  3. Is the Display Preferences forcing Screen Mirroring, or saying that it is available from your system to the screen named Meitian?
  4. Does all this change when you connect the display via a DP, HDMI or DVI connector directly from the dGPU?
MacOS expects the display to be provided by the IGPU or dGPU via a Thunderbolt/DisplayPort connector, not through a Type-C USB port. So is it really surprising that the built-in reports show nothing when they can't find the device in the expected location?

Most of these reports are provided for information purposes. Incorrectly reported devices, or devices not showing do not normally affect the usability of the system or device. So unless the display is not showing anything, behaving poorly, i.e. graphics artefacts and glitches, I wouldn't worry too much about how the system reports your dGPU and display. As long as they work.

This is a Hack after all, why would you expect everything to work 100% the same as it does on a real Mac, when your system is not setup or using the same/identical components as a real Mac.

Nextdoorboy

AMD OS X Member
1. Shows nothing about Monitor because monitor using usb-c DisplayPort alt mode, basically it is connected through Rx5500XT DisplayPort outs>Titan ridge DisplayPort in>TitanRidge Type-c outs>monitor's type-c in
2. I have not flashed Titan Ridge2 for macOS, because of that Thunderbolt bus not working so there is nothing detected Thunderbolt section. Without flashing custom rom only basic thunderbolt features are working, no pci-e tunneling etc.
3. I think it is available from system to display (Meitian)
4. On the IORegistryExplorer display connector port shows 0x400 so it is connected over DisplayPort as it should be.

Yeah you are right but they are all there before, few month ago they disappear and never came back.
This monitor has built-in USB HUB and micro USB port over usb2.0 and that is breaking sleep and shutdown and also monitor does not wake from sleep until any keyboard strokes. I followed dortonia guide for it but didn't worked for me, still have to press keyboard to wake monitor.
When I disconnect TitanRidge2 usb2.0 header this USB HUB disconnects and sleep and shutdown works also I have tried opposite, connected titan ridge's usb header and disconnected the monitor and sleep worked well and that's mean this monitor hub breaks sleep, not titan ridge or its usb header. Also I have tried to disable this header on the usbmap but its still breaks sleep. My USB ports are all successfully mapped

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Sorry but that explanation doesn't sound like it is from a correctly mapped USB configuration. It sounds more like a partial correct USB configuration.

Care to post your USBMap.kext so we can see if anything looks misconfigured?

Part way through the Monterey cycle Apple changed a few things that had an effect on some systems. With the release of Monterey 12.4 if I recall correctly. That may be why your display stopped showing in the reports etc. a few months ago.

Nextdoorboy

AMD OS X Member
Hello Edhawk, sorry for late reply. You are right, I have installed BigSur and everything is there which supposed to be.
And I found another strange problem, I have rx5500xt, both DisplayPort outputs are workin on Monterey but HDMI port is not, it is working on BigSur and Windows but not in Monterey or Ventura.
Right now I can not upload my usb map because my efi partition and ssd are borked because of my mistake, I am creating new efi from based on Audiogod's Gigabyte x570 guide (I'm just gonna update open core and kext and make my usbmap :D)
I have just able to install macOS after two days of fight to save my files. AudioGod's usb map is %90 true for me but few ports are wrong because of my Titan ridge and front usb connectors.
I will upload my usbmap when its done. Do you have any idea why HDMI port problem ? I have weg, pikers boot argument and tried with and without device properties for Radeon Pro W5500x

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Only thing I can thing of is the Big Sur is using a different Framebuffer, compared to Monterey and Ventura.

You may need to see which Framebuffer your RX5500 XT is using in Big Sur and provide the necessary DeviceProperties for the dGPU to use the same Framebuffer in the two newer macOS releases.

Have a read of this Post by @miliuco over at Tonymacx86, regarding Rx6000 series (and RX5000 Series) dGPU's and fixing issues in Monterey.

Nextdoorboy

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the reply, I have already tried some Framebuffers from GitHub and will give shot to miliuco's too.
I have found strange behavior, HDMI port working but does not support hot plug, I have to restart computer to get HDMI port work.
After restart macOS recognizes external display, fills necessary entries at system info and about this Mac but doesn't show two display seperately, gets data and resolution info from Type-C(DisplayPort\Meitian) and gets monitor name from HDMI external tv

Last edited:

Nextdoorboy

AMD OS X Member
I finally solved the problem, all this fuzz is about my Chinese monitor, all it need was edit injection, now nightshift works, about Mac and system info shows graphics and recognizes monitor and HDMI hot plug works. I think buying portable monitor from aliexpress was not a good idea.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You mean EDID injection/patching for the monitor, yes?

Good find if that fixed the issues.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.