Need help with choosing a CPU

inpoww

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

I'm going to upgrade my hackintosh with intel i3 8100 to Ryzentosh. Now I'm choosing between Ryzen 5800X and Ryzen 5700G. I'm more inclined to the processor with iGPU, because I live more calmly with integrated graphics.

What problems can arise with the 5700G, in addition to sound, since I use an external audio card.

Thanks!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The AMD Integrated IGPU is not supported in macOS. So if you go AMD purchase the Ryzen 5800X and a compatible discrete graphics card (dGPU).

Do not purchase the Ryzen 5700G, as it won't work in macOS on its own. Not without disabling the IGPU and having a compatible dGPU providing all the graphics processing.

Alternative.
You might want to think about an upgrade for your current Intel Hack. Installing a i9-9900K, i7-9700K or similar high end Coffee Lake CPU would be logical, as all the other parts you already own would work with the new CPU. Your Current i3-8100 is at basement level and you would see a big improvement on your current setup just by changing the CPU.

The link below is a comparison of your current CPU vs the i9-9900K.

Here is a comparison between the i7-9700K and i9-9900K.

Depending on which type of drive you are currently using, upgrading the macOS drive to a WD SN750 from an SSD or HDD would also be a big improvement.
If the current system is running on 4GB or 8GB of basic DDR4 RAM, upgrading to 16GB of faster (XMP2) RAM would also be beneficial. Assuming your current Intel motherboard can work with the faster RAM.

inpoww

AMD OS X Member
Understood, thanks.

I've read about problems with Adobe and the VM. I strongly doubt the choice of amd, I often use Parallels and Photoshop. In addition to all this, I need integrated graphics, it has already helped out twice.

Therefore, I tend to choose Intel. I'm thinking of buying a 10900K, not a 9900k, to replace the motherboard. My current motherboard is already 5 years old and it has been repaired once (I have the same motherboard as you). Although my last computer lived for 8 years, I don't want to take any chances.

Maybe I'll buy a WD SN 750 on your advice. An additional SSD won't hurt me. I already have 16 GB of RAM. Only if I upgrade to 32 GB.

Thanks for the tips!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.