My New Plex/NAS Build

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Thought I'd share this here.
My current Plex/NAS used a 1600X on a B450 board and a GTX 1070Ti I started having random reboots and instability issues. Swapped in a 200GE and it's been stable so I've come to the assumption that the CPU is toast. Confirmed it by moving the 1600X to another system which was stable, only for it to have the same issues.

I've decided to up the game a bit with it. I'm moving this system to Intel :eek: I've got a Xeon E5-2660 V4. Still waiting on the motherboard to arrive. Hoping to future proof the build a bit. Also upgrading the memory from 16GB to 32GB.

Of course though I'll be trying macOS on it before moving my current storage drives over for normal use. I'll be trying Ventura on it using OCLP for the GPU, just to try it out and mess around. Because why not ;)

I'll try keep you all updated if you want.
IMG_7459.JPEG

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Ok so update...

There seems to be an issue with the motherboards BIOS, I'm unable to disable CSM so no macOS. On the plus side Unraid is running perfectly on it with my current drives running ZFS imported successfully :D

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Which GPU are you using in the server? Some Nvidia GPU's won't let you disable CSM, if they are to display any output once the boot loader has completed its tasks. LGA2011 motherboards are notorious for raising unexpected issues.

You may want to have a look at these guides over at Tonymacx86 for a Broadwell X99 and Skylake X299 setup. They may contain the answer to your issue.

The Skylake is the better of the two guides, but both should contain relevant information that you can use. Especially the extensive list of SSDT's required to fix different issues.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
It's a GTX 1070Ti. I've updated the GOP on the card and can boot UEFI systems just fine. In fact CSM was disabled on the AM4 board I was previously using so I know it's not a GPU issue.

For reference this is the board, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003155932553.html

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The first guide linked above (Broadwell-E & X99 motherboard) should be a better match for your Plex server system. Never heard of Machinist manufacturer so have no idea what their systems are like to run macOS. The X99 chip was used by a lot of Hack owners, so should be OK to run macOS up to Ventura with an AMD dGPU.

Do you want to share the EFI and the system DSDT.aml, I might see something that helps.

I assume as you have an Nvidia dGPU that you are looking to run macOS High Sierra initially.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
To be honest was only going to run macOS as a bit of fun before I got the system up and running on Unraid. Moved over to it from just an Ubuntu install.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Ok. that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.