Mac os contantly hangs

sojab0on

AMD OS X Member
Hi
My thinker box with ventura constant ly hangs
Install went fine
but the system constantly hangs after booting also it doesnt detect the ryzen 5 cpu but rather an unknown 3.7GHZ cpu

any one that can guide me

System specs
Asus B450M-K
Ryzen 5 3400G
16GB ddr4
WX7100 pro
running Open Core 0.9.6 from usb
os boots fine
but when in it , it just crashes by the looks of it
want to also copy the 120gb boot ssd to the m2 drive

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi
My thinker box with ventura constant ly hangs
Install went fine
but the system constantly hangs after booting also it doesnt detect the ryzen 5 cpu but rather an unknown 3.7GHZ cpu

any one that can guide me

System specs
Asus B450M-K
Ryzen 5 3400G
16GB ddr4
WX7100 pro
running Open Core 0.9.6 from usb
os boots fine
but when in it , it just crashes by the looks of it
want to also copy the 120gb boot ssd to the m2 drive
You will need to zip and upload your EFI folder for any help, specs are only part of the picture

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
When using amfi=0x80 boot argument some apps might crash or might not work properly in macOS Sonoma.
So you may want to remove this boot argument if it is present and use AMFIPass.kext.

You also need to use -amfipassbeta boot argument for macOS Sonoma with AMFIPass.kext v1.3 or older.
With AMFIPass.kext 1.4.0 and later, there's no need to use -amfipassbeta boot argument.

sojab0on

AMD OS X Member
i used this one as a base to start with, took out the wifi kexts and added
SSDT-CPUR.aml
recreated the info.plist with opencore configurator.
disabled setupvirtualmap
set the cpu register to B04 as stated for the 4 cores i have
and tried setting the sensitive data so opencore kan read data about the gpu cpu and ssds

Attachments

• ASROCK-B450M-PRO4-HACKINTOSH-opencore.zip
    11.8 MB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You don't need SSDT-CPUR.aml with your B450M motherboard.

That SSDT is only required for B550 & A520 motherboards, which you should know if you read the first part of the OC guide for Ryzen systems.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.22.01.png SSDT-CPUR.aml instructions in OC Ryzen guide.

sojab0on

AMD OS X Member
also one strange ting is that mac os doesnt seen to detect the ryzen 5 3400G it justs shows unknown 3,7ghz

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The EFI you posted above is not set for your Ryzen system. It contains a number of issues including missing essential SSDT's, incorrect and unnecessary kexts plus other issues I would consider basic and essential to the EFI working with macOS.

Your current EFI folder contents looks like this:
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.25.15.png

These are the main issues regarding the kexts.
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.27.58.png

This is how your EFI folder should look with the rubbish removed.
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.28.23.png

This is how your EFI should look when correctly set for your system.
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.38.16.png

The AMDUSBPort.kext in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder is wrong. All 20 x ports are set as USB3.

Your motherboard contains the following USB ports, so we know this kext is pants!
  • 3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :
    • 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue)
  • AMD B450 chipset :
    • 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s) (2 at back panel, Cyan)
  • AMD B450 chipset :
    • 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at mid-board)
  • AMD B450 chipset :
    • 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (4 at mid-board)
This means only 16 x ports should be set with connector type USB3 (3).
The other 4 x ports should be set aswith connector type 'Internal' (255), i.e. the USB2.0/1.1 ports served from the motherboard USB2 headers.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.26.44.png Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.26.55.png contents of AMDUSBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist

Using this incorrect AMDUSBPorts.kext will cause some sleep/wake/ and instant reboot issues, due to the incorrect settings for the 4 x Internal USB header ports. Best to remove the kext until you know which four ports are connected to the Internal headers, so they can be edited.

Your CPU not showing with the correct name is cosmetic. It has no bearing on how the CPU works. It is easy to fix, but not essential.

Adding all those DeviceProperties to the config.plist was a bad move. It is more likely to cause things to go wrong than it is to help. I would only retain the NVME and Ethernet DeviceProperties, as those are the most likely to require setting in the config for macOS.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.51.46.png

You have set the AMD Kernel Patches incorrectly for your 4-core CPU. You have 06, in the first four patches, you should have 04.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.57.58.pngThese are your current kernel patches.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 20.58.36.png These are the correct kernel patches for your 4-core CPU.

As your AMDUSBPort.kext is not correct, I would recommend using the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry to all your system to boot with the USB ports working. This should only be used short term, until you sort out the errors in the kext.

I have added a populated Resources folder and OpenCanopy.efi driver to your OC setup.
These elements along with the Misc > Boot > PickerMode entry changed from Builtin to External will allow you to see the OC graphics user interface, in place of the text list when you boot the system.

As you are using the WX 7100 dGPU you do not require agdpmod=pikera boot argument. This is only required for Navi dGPU's, i.e. AMD RX5000 and RX6000 series graphics cards.

Using the iMac20,1 SMBIOS is wrong with your system. You are not using the AMD IGPU to drive a display, you are not using NootedRed.kext to get the AMD IGPU working in macOS. So you should be using the MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS with your system.

I would strongly recommend you change the SMBIOS data to one of the two systems listed above. Otherwise you will keep having issues with your Hack.
Personally I would use the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS with your setup.

I have edited your EFI and config.plist to reflect most of the issues raised above. I have not generated a new SMBIOS for you, but I have changed everything else.

Testing/Booting:
If you want to try this revised EFI, simply add the new Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID data to the revised config.plist. Don't make any other changes to the setup.

I would use Corpnewt's GenSMBIOS script to generate a new MacPro7,1 SMBIOS - https://github.com/corpnewt/GenSMBIOS
Select the Green button named 'Code', then select Download Zip.
  • You should sign out of any Apple services you may have activated, such as Messages, FaceTime, iCloud and the App Store, before you use the new EFI.
  • Otherwise you may have issues when you boot back into macOS.
Copy the revised EFI folder to the EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive and boot from the pen drive to test the EFI.

Don't replace your current EFI until you are sure the revised EFI works and boots macOS without any issues.

You will need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi option before you boot with this revised OC setup.
  • Simply boot from the USB pen drive, use the F8 key on your Asus motherboard when you see the Asus splash screen.
    • Then press the Spacebar when you arrive on the OC boot screen (GUI),
    • This will unhide the tools and drivers contained in your OC setup.
  • Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi and the system should automatically reboot.
  • Select your USB pen drive from the system Boot Menu again, and
    • This time boot in to macOS using the revised EFI.

Attachments

• EFI-B450M.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 2

sojab0on

AMD OS X Member
trying this EFI out now, the cosmetic issue is that the gpu mac os sees is shown as a 500GB ssd also in the profiler video section it stated
WD Blue SN550 NVMW drive with chipset model WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD
i got it working better now it detectes teh gpu good its a laugable kwirk on cpu side now it says 3,7 GHz quad core Intel Core i5 and applied the amd patch script.
Is there a processortype code that will show amd ryzen 5 3400G to make it a completed build :)

After dooing the changes you sugested to do , the mashine boots fine but it panics on the nvme controller when beeing idle for some time does a driver like nvmefix or something fis that

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
NVMeFix.kext deals with power management for non-Apple NVME drives, it will work in Ventura, but not in Sonoma.

Yes there is a fix for the CPU name, I will post details later when I am at my desk. Currently on an iPad so don’t have access to the settings.

sojab0on

AMD OS X Member
pc has been shut off ever since the panics on teh nvme controller happend :(
hope to get it working as it should without the sudden panics/reboots and hangs

sojab0on

AMD OS X Member
NVMeFix.kext deals with power management for non-Apple NVME drives, it will work in Ventura, but not in Sonoma.

Yes there is a fix for the CPU name, I will post details later when I am at my desk. Currently on an iPad so don’t have access to the settings.
i am still trying to figure it out but it give so mucht hurdle with this board , and panics on the nvme controller keep happening random

sojab0on

AMD OS X Member
have been checking but cant seen to get this board to work normally , i will stop this project and turn the pc in to an desktop for simple editing tasks

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.