Laptop has a kernel panic when booting up and then reboots

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Yesterday my Hackintosh was working perfectly but I can't seem to load in today anymore. The Apple logo is shown and the progress bar gets to 50% before rebooting. I'm unsure what the issue is as it worked perfectly yesterday. I haven't changed my EFI. The errors shown are here.

Opencore version: 0.8.5

macOS version: Ventura

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5584

CPU: i7-8565U (Whiskey Lake)

GPU: Intel UHD620

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Post a copy of your current OC EFI folder so we can better understand what you are using to boot your system.

Remember to redact/delete the serial number from your config before you post a copy here.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Post a copy of your current OC EFI folder so we can better understand what you are using to boot your system.

Remember to redact/delete the serial number from your config before you post a copy here.
I've attached it to the main thread.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I have checked your EFI and things look OK for a Dell CFL/WL laptop.

Debug entries:
A few items were different to the Dortania guide in the Misc > Debug section of the config.plist.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 16.18.31.png AppleDebug, ApplePanic and DisableWatchDog entries are set as false the guide recommends these be set as True.

You also have a number of unused/unnecessary entries that are just placeholders for the config.plist creator, which your Dell laptop doesn't need. Removing these unused entries makes it easier to navigate and read the config.plist.

IGPU:
The IGPU Framebuffer in the DeviceProperties section of the config.plist seems to be missing the Con0 entries.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 16.16.55.png Framebuffer for IGPU con1 and con2 entries highlighted, missing con0 entry.

You have provided con1 and con2 'AllData' entries (2 x HDMI connectors) but not the main/built-in laptop screen, which I would expect to be set with an LDVS/eDP/DP connector.

Did you take these IGPU framebuffer entries from someone else's config or have you undertaken the framebuffer port discovery process yourself?

Not setting the con0 entries may be part of the reason for the system reboot.

ACPI > Patch entries:
The 3 x ACPI Patches in your config are not fully configured.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 16.48.20.png Errors in OC.log regarding ACPI Patches.

The first 2 patches (HPET & RTC) are missing the Base and BaseSkip entries.
The _OSI to XOSI patch is missing a number of entries.

Each patch should have 14 child entries, the first two have 12 child entries the 3rd only has 8 child entries.
All 14 are required for each patch if they are to work. Even if the entry is empty or '0'.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 17.08.43.png This is a screenshot showing the 3 x patches in your config.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 17.13.07.png This is a screenshot showing how the 3 x patches should be written in your config.

LauncherPath:
I would suggest changing Misc > Booster > LauncherPath from 'Default' to 'Full', as this would add a permanent OpenCore bios option to your system.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 16.50.15.png LauncherPath > Default

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 16.50.30.png LauncherPath > Full

OC GUI error:
There seems to be an issue with the OC GUI icons being found in your setup. This is highlighted in the screenshot from your Pastebin.com OC log.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 16.59.56.png screenshot showing GUI errors, related to /EFI/OC/Resources/Image/Acidanthera/GoldenGate icons not being found.

I take it your are dual booting Windows and macOS on this laptop.
Are you using separate drives for the two OS's?

The OC.log shows a number of entries for missing partitions on the APFS drive. This is not normal. but have no idea why these entries are showing in the log. Possibly using the ResetNvram option from the OC GUI would help clear these entries from the log.

I have edited the config.plist.
  1. Changed the three Debug entries to true,
  2. Corrected the 3 xAPCI patches,
  3. Changed the LauncherPath entry,
  4. Added -v, keepsyms=1 & debug=0x100 boot arguments ,and
  5. Deleted the unused entries from the config attached below.
I have also replaced the /EFI/OC/Resources folder, with a folder from one of my OC EFI's.

Try this EFI and see if it provides any more information, after you have added your SMBIOS data to the revised config.plist.

You need to look in to the con0 framebuffer entry, I can't add that to the config without a lot more information.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 3

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
I have checked your EFI and things look OK for a Dell CFL/WL laptop.

Debug entries:
A few items were different to the Dortania guide in the Misc > Debug section of the config.plist.

View attachment 8967 AppleDebug, ApplePanic and DisableWatchDog entries are set as false the guide recommends these be set as True.

You also have a number of unused/unnecessary entries that are just placeholders for the config.plist creator, which your Dell laptop doesn't need. Removing these unused entries makes it easier to navigate and read the config.plist.

IGPU:
The IGPU Framebuffer in the DeviceProperties section of the config.plist seems to be missing the Con0 entries.

View attachment 8966 Framebuffer for IGPU con1 and con2 entries highlighted, missing con0 entry.

You have provided con1 and con2 'AllData' entries (2 x HDMI connectors) but not the main/built-in laptop screen, which I would expect to be set with an LDVS/eDP/DP connector.

Did you take these IGPU framebuffer entries from someone else's config or have you undertaken the framebuffer port discovery process yourself?

Not setting the con0 entries may be part of the reason for the system reboot.

ACPI > Patch entries:
The 3 x ACPI Patches in your config are not fully configured.

View attachment 8971 Errors in OC.log regarding ACPI Patches.

The first 2 patches (HPET & RTC) are missing the Base and BaseSkip entries.
The _OSI to XOSI patch is missing a number of entries.

Each patch should have 14 child entries, the first two have 12 child entries the 3rd only has 8 child entries.
All 14 are required for each patch if they are to work. Even if the entry is empty or '0'.

View attachment 8973 This is a screenshot showing the 3 x patches in your config.

View attachment 8974 This is a screenshot showing how the 3 x patches should be written in your config.

LauncherPath:
I would suggest changing Misc > Booster > LauncherPath from 'Default' to 'Full', as this would add a permanent OpenCore bios option to your system.

View attachment 8968 LauncherPath > Default

View attachment 8969 LauncherPath > Full

OC GUI error:
There seems to be an issue with the OC GUI icons being found in your setup. This is highlighted in the screenshot from your Pastebin.com OC log.

View attachment 8970 screenshot showing GUI errors, related to /EFI/OC/Resources/Image/Acidanthera/GoldenGate icons not being found.

I take it your are dual booting Windows and macOS on this laptop.
Are you using separate drives for the two OS's?

The OC.log shows a number of entries for missing partitions on the APFS drive. This is not normal. but have no idea why these entries are showing in the log. Possibly using the ResetNvram option from the OC GUI would help clear these entries from the log.

I have edited the config.plist.
  1. Changed the three Debug entries to true,
  2. Corrected the 3 xAPCI patches,
  3. Changed the LauncherPath entry,
  4. Added -v, keepsyms=1 & debug=0x100 boot arguments ,and
  5. Deleted the unused entries from the config attached below.
I have also replaced the /EFI/OC/Resources folder, with a folder from one of my OC EFI's.

Try this EFI and see if it provides any more information, after you have added your SMBIOS data to the revised config.plist.

You need to look in to the con0 framebuffer entry, I can't add that to the config without a lot more information.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for fixing my EFI! I still get the same issue of the kernel panic and reboot. Weirdly, I did get in once but that seemed to be an anomaly as I haven't been able to get back in since.

I am dual booting and have them both on separate SSDs.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk I also keep seeing this same error in the boot up.235AB036-F990-44B8-80ED-C878CEF13A3C.jpeg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
That error is related to USB audio device/codec/kext.

Does your motherboard have a USB audio device?

Are you using/injecting AppleALC.kext or AppleALUC.kext?

I don’t recall seeing either kext In your OC setup.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
That error is related to USB audio device/codec/kext.

Does your motherboard have a USB audio device?

Are you using/injecting AppleALC.kext or AppleALUC.kext?

I don’t recall seeing either kext In your OC setup.
I am using AppleALC for my audio. 1670411450795.png

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK that looks correct.

But that is what is shown in your config.plist, what does your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder show?
Have you updated the AppleALC.kext and by mistake copied the AppleALCU.kext to the Kexts folder? It is easily done.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
OK that looks correct.

But that is what is shown in your config.plist, what does your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder show?
Have you updated the AppleALC.kext and by mistake copied the AppleALCU.kext to the Kexts folder? It is easily done.
It also shows AppleALC.kext.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK, have you tried removing AppleALC.kext from the config/kexts folder to see what happens?
Do you have any third-party kexts installed in your /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folders?
Are you using the latest version of the kext?

Your Audio Codec is the Realtek ALC3204-CG, according to the EN specification manual.

I understand from reading other threads that ALC3204 codec is the same as ALC236.
ALC236 codec should work with AppleALC.kext and injecting one of the following layout-ids - 3, 11, 15, 16 & possibly 54.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
OK, have you tried removing AppleALC.kext from the config/kexts folder to see what happens?
Do you have any third-party kexts installed in your /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folders?
Are you using the latest version of the kext?

Your Audio Codec is the Realtek ALC3204-CG, according to the EN specification manual.

I understand from reading other threads that ALC3204 codec is the same as ALC236.
ALC236 codec should work with AppleALC.kext and injecting one of the following layout-ids - 3, 11, 15, 16 & possibly 54.
I’ve tried removing it but the same error happens. There’s no third party kexts installs and I am using the latest version. I’ve also tried all the layout ids and still the same error occurs.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Post a photo showing the verbose text that appears after the section you posted above. So we can see if something else is causing the KP, and the ALUC entries are unrelated to the KP.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
This is the backtrace before the laptop reboots. C7E3C769-7B1D-4A85-8008-962A26178508.jpeg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Which version of VirtualSMC.kext are you using? Is it the most recent? Is it set to be injected immediately after Lilu.kext in your config?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Which version of VirtualSMC.kext are you using? Is it the most recent? Is it set to be injected immediately after Lilu.kext in your config?
It is the most recent (v1.3) and it’s injected straight after Lilu.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.