Issue trying to upgrade Ventura from 12.6.3 to 13.3

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I have tried to upgrade to Ventura 13.3 from 12.6.3 and I kept getting the following error. I replied to @Edhawk on another post thinking my issue was the same and mistaking a reply that I thought was to myself. I used that EFI and now I can’t boot into my system 😔

Hopefully it’s not as big of an issue as I think because I already have the system installed. So I’m hoping it’s a correction of the EFI then I can put it onto a usb and boot back in and save the EFI to my drive.

I will add the 2 images for you to see what the issue is.

I just need to get back into my system to run the update. Thank you for any help

Attachments

• IMG_3099.jpeg
    IMG_3099.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try this OC 0.9.1 EFI created for a X570/Ryzen 8-core/RX570 system.
  1. It doesn't contain any Intel WiFi or Bluetooth kexts. Try using the EFI without the Intel WiFi/BT kexts just to see that it works.
  2. You need to add your SMBIOS Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID to the config.plist before you use it. I have assumed you are using the iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS as you are looking to run macOS Ventura.
  3. You will need to use the ResetNvramEntry from the OC boot screen, before you boot your system with this EFI. The ResetNvramEntry icon will be hidden, simply press the spacebar when you are on the OC boot screen to display the hidden icons.

Attachments

• EFI-0.9.1.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 10

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
This unfortunately has not helped. I’m getting the same error but a different code. I cannot seem to get my system to recognise the additional EFI. I have attempted CleanNVRAM and ResetNVRAM. I only ever get 2 options and one is to continue to boot to Ventura and the other option is to continue to update. I have set the UEFI (USB stick) as the 1st boot option. When I do this my system powers down and on 3 times and then begins loading. I can do a fresh install in the morning if necessary.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
A clean installation might be best, as the update process seems to be borked.

You might want to make sure the macOS Ventura installer is not compromised, i.e Erase the USB and restore the Ventura installation app on the USB drive.
Then copy the EFI folder above to the EFI partition on the USB drive.

If you have a spare drive use that in place of the Monterey drive, so you don't lose any data etc. from your current macOS installation.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
To install a fresh Ventura, I need to use gibMacOS as the OpenCore MacRecovery doesn't have a Ventura version. Am I able to use the InstallInstant.pkg and additional files downloaded from gibMacOS to install Ventura fresh? Can I simply place them into the com.apple.recovery.boot folder? As I cannot get into my system, I need to use Windows to build my install USB.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I found the Ventura install string for Macrecovery.py in one of my other posts. I’ll download this and then the Realtek kext and see how I go. Thanks

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I’m experiencing some serious strangeness. I took out the SSD that had my old non working Ventura installation so that only the HDD that my new installation was going to be installed onto was on the system. I booted the USB drive, it begins to load, then reboots and then tells me to insert a bootable drive. I am downloading a new copy of Ventura from macrecovery.py to see if I just had a bad copy.

Edit: A new download has not helped and I do not understand why the system is refusing to boot the opencore usb. I have tried googling the boot error and I saw the disable secure boot and to enable legacy boot. This has not helped me. There is nothing that has changed on my system and I have tried to use a different USB stick to see if that is the problem. I was able to get it to continuously load the usb efi but it just kept posting the text in the screenshot and then rebooted. I will try putting the Monterey install onto the usb and add the monterey specific kexts and see if there is any joy from this @Edhawk

Attachments

• EFI.7z
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3129.png
    IMG_3129.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I believe there might have been an issue with the installer or my EFI. So I decided to go back a few steps and put on an old copy of Catalina I had saved on one of my USB sticks. It has an old EFI. I was able to install it and all was good, so I downloaded a 13.2 version of Ventura from gibMacOS and tried to upgrade. I’ll let you know how it goes

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I was able to fix my old SSD. Because I had not had the chance to erase the SSD, I was able to reconnect it after installing onto my HDD and copy my EFI folder. I then booted up and everything works and I've lost nothing.

Now I am going to lock down my system and never do a OS update ever again. I don't think I even need to worry about the security updates? A bit of a workaround to fix it, but it worked haha

Now I just had one question. It's about the memory modules, the system is always telling me they are configured incorrectly. I have DDR4 A1 and B1 filled. Is there a better configuration for Apple? I will be getting modules for each bay eventually @Middleman @Edhawk

Current EFI is attatched

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Your memory configuration is shown in the motherboard manual as one of the options for two memory modules. Although it is not the best.

Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 17.20.14.png

Gigabyte recommend that you install them in the DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2 sockets, i.e the first option for two memory modules.

So it should be simple enough to switch the modules to the adjacent slots, for optimised memory settings with two memory modules.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Oh my, I don’t know how I did that. I usually make sure I follow the manual to the letter. I have pulled it apart and put it together a few times. I originally thought Apple might have had a different requirement. I’ll fix this up when I get back home. Thanks

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I thought I would try installing the update again. This section "Goldfish64 - Bypass GenuineIntel check panic - 12.0/13.0" is jumping out at me but I am unsure of what it is saying. When I researched it, was saying to enable the "ProvideCurrentCpuInfo" though I did try setting this and it did not help. This is in the very first recording I provided. Is it important? Is this what's blocking it from finishing the install? I am going to try to run the update on the HDD copy and see if it completes this time round.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes it is important. Without it your AMD CPU will not be recognised by macOS. It is one of the many essential AMD options in OpenCore.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
The freshly downloaded update on the HDD produced the exact same error. I will try the EFI you originally posted and see if that helps pass the problem point.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Yes it is important. Without it your AMD CPU will not be recognised by macOS. It is one of the many essential AMD options in OpenCore.
My apologies, I should have elaborated on my question better. I was meaning if it was important to the system not continuing the install ?

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I resolved this issue. It’s updated and working and I’ve disabled the update so I won’t see it again

xavierbaez

AMD OS X Member
Hey @DancingShinryu would you mind telling me how did you resolve the issue m?
I have the same problem

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hey @DancingShinryu would you mind telling me how did you resolve the issue m?
I have the same problem
We updated OpenCore and kexts to the latest version as well as his kernel patches. Once you make the jump to Ventura, especially 13.3, that's required. Post you current EFI without serial numbers if you are unsure how to proceed.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.