Internet not working on Sonoma 14.4

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Hello,

I just updated from 14.1.2 to 14.4, and my internet started to cut off after about a minute of use. I boot into the system, everything is fine, internet works. I can browse for a while and then suddenly nothing loads anymore. System Settings says that Ethernet and Wifi are "Connected" yet I can not use the internet.

I found some posts on different forums regarding a similar issue on Macs when updating to 14.4, but those were resolved by deleting/disabling a VPN. I however do not use one, so that is out of the question. Can anyone point me to what could be the culprit here? Thanks!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If I recall correctly you had issues with your Ethernet port previously. Struggling to get it working in earlier versions of macOS. Are you really surprised that the latest macOS release causes similar issues? If they all worked in Sonoma 14.3.1 I would recommend moving back to that OS.
  1. Remind me which Ethernet controller is present in your ASRock B550 system.
  2. Which WiFi/BT card are you using?
  3. Are you using OpenCore Legacy Patcher for a Broadcom WiFi/BT card? This is known to be problematic in Sonoma 14.4.

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
If I recall correctly you had issues with your Ethernet port previously. Struggling to get it working in earlier versions of macOS. Are you really surprised that the latest macOS release causes similar issues? If they all worked in Sonoma 14.3.1 I would recommend moving back to that OS.
  1. Remind me which Ethernet controller is present in your ASRock B550 system.
  2. Which WiFi/BT card are you using?
  3. Are you using OpenCore Legacy Patcher for a Broadcom WiFi/BT card? This is known to be problematic in Sonoma 14.4.
Yes, you are correct. I never had working Ethernet before (reported as not connected in System Settings, even though the Ethernet controller was found in System Report), I just got it up and running yesterday.

I have an Intel I225-V, and I previously tried to get it working with the AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext which never worked out. I swapped it out for AppleIGC.kext yesterday, deleted the AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext and that was it, I got Ethernet. Now that worked no problem on 14.1.2, but as I updated to 14.4 it went haywire.

The Wifi/BT is an Intel WiFi 6 802.11ax 2T2R & BT5 (Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200), and I have not had probelms with that as I have used Wifi as my only option without the Ethernet port actually working before now.

And no, no OCLP at all for me as I have not had need for that, and that doesn't really support Hackintoshes as I understand?
Nevertheless, I am actually typing this response on the Hackintosh as my Internet seems to be working normally today for some reason. I didn't change anything so I'm a bit confused. Any idea what could have caused the problem in order to avoid it or fix it if it happens again in the future?

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Looks like I spoke too soon and it happened again, out of the blue my internet connection just disappeared. I was browsing the internet and working normally for about an hour or two, and then suddenly "Safari can't connect to the server". You can see in the screenshot that everything looks to be working but I just cannot connect to the internet or even to my other devices on the network. I can see my laptop in AirDrop but cannot share anything to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 12.37.34 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 12.37.34 PM.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
How have you set the Firewall? I personally never use it. See what happens when you turn the Firewall off.

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
How have you set the Firewall? I personally never use it. See what happens when you turn the Firewall off.
It has always been enabled for me, I've never touched it. After a restart, I'm still online after about an hour and a half this time, I will try fiddling with the Firewall and Network Diagnostics when the connection fails again.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The Firewall is not enabled by default in macOS. You must have turned it on as a post installation process.

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
The Firewall is not enabled by default in macOS. You must have turned it on as a post installation process.
Huh, well so I have in that case.
Anyway, the internet has been working for about four hours with just one minor hickup. The connection cut off once before for about 10-20 seconds and has stayed up since. I will report if and when it completely dies again and I'll see if anything can get it back up without restarting.

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Okay, so the connection failed completely again, I tried disabling the Firewall to no effect. Then I tried adding OpenDNS and that had no effect either. Wireless Diagnostics came up with DNS Resolution Failure so I tried adding a different DNS hoping to solve it but nope. I tried restarting my modem too even though I know it doesn't have anything to do with this problem since my MacBook stays online all the time.

I am at a loss, and don't really know what to try next.

Edit: I deleted both my Wi-Fi and Ethernet in Network Settings through Delete Service, then added them back, and the connection works again. Can't say for sure that it was a permanent solution yet but we'll see.

Last edited:

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Allright, 6 hours later and it happened again. I was able to fix it again by deleting the Ethernet and Wi-Fi from my Network Settings to get the connection back up again, for now, but it definitely wasn't a permanent solution. I haven't really found any other real solutions for this, so does anyone have any experiences with this phenomenon?

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Still facing this issue, do you have any ideas on how to fix this problem? I can't find anything worthwhile on this.
Things I've tried:
Deleting and adding Wi-FI and Ethernet services in Network Settings multiple times (Fixes the issue for minutes at a time but has to be redone every time the connection fails)
Resetting NVRAM multiple times
Running sudo rm /var/db/timed/com.apple.timed.plist
Renewing DHCP lease

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No I don't have a solution for this issue. I have never had the same or anything like this issue with any of my Hacks.

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
No I don't have a solution for this issue. I have never had the same or anything like this issue with any of my Hacks.
Damn, thanks for the help anyways. It's weird, I haven't found one post about this problem on a Hack, just on Macs. I tried updating to 14.4.1 hoping that would do the trick but that didn't help either. I fiddled around in my config.plist and general settings, I cleaned my EFI up a bit and found that if I put Wi-Fi first in the Network service order, my connection won't completely shut off. Now the Wi-Fi stays up all the time but the Ethernet still intermittently dies off and randomly might or might not come back up again without me deleting and adding the Ethernet back in Network Settings.

Good thing is that I have a continuous connection, bad thing is that my Ethernet connection is unpredictable to say the least. I finally got the Ethernet working on my Hack and then this happens, nothing seems to solve this issue. I liked the faster and solid connection while it lasted.
I did try switching the ethernets device-id from F2150000 to F3150000 but that doesn't do anything, just changes the name from I225-LM to I225-V in Hackintool like it's supposed to, no effect on usability. Left it on F315000 and tried disabling the AppleIGC.kext since someone suggested I225-V has native compatibility on Sonoma but didn't work at all without it.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the tip! Sadly my Hack is on an ITX board, and the only PCIe slot is taken by my GPU. Looks like this Hack is doomed with a crippled Ethernet, at least for the time being. When I build my next PC/Hack I might get a mATX board just to have the option for the Realtek card.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Sorry, I forgot you had an ITX board.

You may be best served using a USB3 or Type-C to Ethernet adapter. There are plenty to choose from and they are relatively cheap on Amazon

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Sorry, I forgot you had an ITX board.

You may be best served using a USB3 or Type-C to Ethernet adapter. There are plenty to choose from and they are relatively cheap on Amazon
Right, that is an option as well. I have thought about getting one at some point anyway for my MBP. Are they all plug and play with Hacks? I know some USB Bluetooth dongles don't play nice with Hacks, are there any complications with USB Ethernet adapters?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, they are plug and play with our hacks.

No complications I have encountered as long as the USB port has been activated correctly in macOS.

Riko_KP

AMD OS X Member
Yes, they are plug and play with our hacks.

No complications I have encountered as long as the USB port has been activated correctly in macOS.
Allright, good to know! Looks like that will be the way to go for me. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.