Impossible install macOS Ventura with AMD B550?

apriliars3

AMD OS X Member
I'm using Big Sur without any issues but I want to try to boot into the Ventura install I get a reboot

Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 7 5900X
GPU: Asus GT 710
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB with Windows 10 and Samsung Evo 250GB with Big Sur

I attachet my EFI with OC 0.8.6 and captures with macOS Big Sur

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11 MB · Views: 17

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
MSI MB are problematic past Big Sur.

apriliars3

AMD OS X Member
I try with this EFI work with Ventura

I change boot args to -v keepsyms=1 unfairgva=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 npci=0x2000

And kernet patches to Ryzen 3900X with 12 cores B80C0000 0000 / BA0C0000 0000 / BA0C0000 0090

And I have this kernel panic

I don't know how test more, I try with different EFI, without data disks, update all kexts, new config.plist with dortania guides, ..... and always same, I can't boot for install Ventura.

I have with Big Sur and I want to install Ventura with fresh install because I have fair to update Big Sur to Monterey or Ventura no works and can't boot with macOS or need to reinstall Big Sur.

I share new EFI with kernel panic

Thanks

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
MSI Boards are a pain in the arse to get working properly. Second, I do not think the GT710 will function in Ventura, 3rd, did you update your amd power management kexts and add nvmefix.kext?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I try with this EFI work with Ventura

I change boot args to -v keepsyms=1 unfairgva=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 npci=0x2000

And kernet patches to Ryzen 3900X with 12 cores B80C0000 0000 / BA0C0000 0000 / BA0C0000 0090

And I have this kernel panic

I don't know how test more, I try with different EFI, without data disks, update all kexts, new config.plist with dortania guides, ..... and always same, I can't boot for install Ventura.

I have with Big Sur and I want to install Ventura with fresh install because I have fair to update Big Sur to Monterey or Ventura no works and can't boot with macOS or need to reinstall Big Sur.

I share new EFI with kernel panic

Thanks
You can add nvme=-1 to disable IONVMeFamily which will stop it from panicking, but you won't be able to use NVMe drives.

apriliars3

AMD OS X Member
You can add nvme=-1 to disable IONVMeFamily which will stop it from panicking, but you won't be able to use NVMe drives.

I can try, nvme don´t want to use with macOS, but in the future want to update to other nvme.

EFI Ventura -v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 nvme=-1 alcid=1 npci=0x2000

With my EFI Big Sur -v npci=0x2000 nvme=-1 watchdog=0 dk.e1000=0 e1000=0

X58FqcP.jpg

MSI Boards are a pain in the arse to get working properly. Second, I do not think the GT710 will function in Ventura, 3rd, did you update your amd power management kexts and add nvmefix.kext?

MSI is my motherboard, can´t change to other, but it is very unluck only MSI bios have issue.

GT710 can update to RX 6X00, but I play with XBox and don´t need buy one if works.

I think have update all kexts, and nvmefix.kext is necessary with Samsung 970 Evo? I think is native on macOS, at least with Big Sur don´t need kexts to detect.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The kernel panic with the 'No Entry/Prohibited' sign is fairly common. The error says 'Still waiting for Root device'.

This error occurs when the Bios hands over control of the USB ports to the OS, when the OS can't see/activate the USB port the installer is plugged in to.

The easiest fix is to try a different USB port with your USB installation pen drive, one that works when the OS boots. You may have to move the USB pen drive containing your macOS installer to another USB port part way through the boot process, i.e. just before or immediately when the 'No Entry/Prohibited' sign first appears.

The long term fix is to create a custom USBMap. kext for your system. Then use one of the active USB ports for the installation.

apriliars3

AMD OS X Member
The kernel panic with the 'No Entry/Prohibited' sign is fairly common. The error says 'Still waiting for Root device'.

This error occurs when the Bios hands over control of the USB ports to the OS, when the OS can't see/activate the USB port the installer is plugged in to.

The easiest fix is to try a different USB port with your USB installation pen drive, one that works when the OS boots. You may have to move the USB pen drive containing your macOS installer to another USB port part way through the boot process, i.e. just before or immediately when the 'No Entry/Prohibited' sign first appears.

The long term fix is to create a custom USBMap. kext for your system. Then use one of the active USB ports for the installation.

I don´t know how can create a custom USBMap. I am trying with different pendrive and usb, at least I test with 2 x usb 2.0 rear motherboard, usb 3.0 front and usb from macbook keyboard or monitor conect to motherboard. And 2 pendrive, one usb 2.0 32GB Toshiba and Sandisk Ultra 16GB usb 3.0.

With Big Sur haven´t kernel panic, could be one option from bios that I need change? I haven´t the lastest bios but I think have agesa problematic with Bios MSI.

Thanks

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You can create a custom USBMap for macOS in Windows using USBToolBox.

Or you can use Corpnewt's USBMap script in Big Sur.

The problem with the MSI 500 series motherboards is well documented. It is a known Bios problem that prevents MSI systems such as your B550 booting macOS with more than 1 x NVME drive installed.

You would be best served temporarily removing all drives from your system, except the drive you plan to install macOS on to. See if that helps. The other OS & Data drives can be reinstalled once you have macOS installed and functioning correctly, i.e. all the post installation configuration completed.

Although I don't know why you expect Ventura to work any better than Monterey did with your system. I haven't read anything definitive that suggests you will be able to install Ventura when you couldn't install Monterey on your MSI B550 system. But maybe you know better?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
MSI motherboards should now be able to run Monterey+ with the new kernel patches.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
MSI motherboards should now be able to run Monterey+ with the new kernel patches.
Ok, honestly hadn't read that the new kernel patches for Ventura had fixed this issue. Learn something new everyday!

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Ok, honestly hadn't read that the new kernel patches for Ventura had fixed this issue. Learn something new everyday!
Not the Ventura ones, there have been new ones today.

apriliars3

AMD OS X Member
Where can I read about this?

I can try to install Monterey, is at least better than nothing.

I have nvme (Windows 10) and sata ssd (Big Sur). Can I install with sata or need nvme?

Thanks

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Where can I read about this?

I can try to install Monterey, is at least better than nothing.

I have nvme (Windows 10) and sata ssd (Big Sur). Can I install with sata or need nvme?

Thanks
You can read about it in the Ryzen 7000 thread. To use it just update your Kernel Patches, they got updated today. A few people on MSI confirmed it working.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Not the Ventura ones, there have been new ones today.
Ok, that makes more sense as to why I hadn't read anything about the MSI fix.

I was aware of @CaseySJ creating the new Zen4 AMD patch, I simply didn't realise it also fixed the MSI 500-series bios issue.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.