HOW TO SOLVE: Animated static static sand when trying on Installation boot-loader screen "only" on CATALINA, BIG SUR, MONTEREY

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

So I can see a pattern problem when hackntoshing laptops with Radeon Graphics cards.

Things are usually ok on intel IGPUs, and that is the majority of the bulk of the community.

However laptops with dedicated AMD are more rare since the majority of laptops hav nvidia. And many of Radeon cards don't have mux switch or aren't models compatible with Mac Os

Obseveration:

All of the laptops with the compatible GPU's have the same exact problem. They can install up to Mojave with no problems at all. The list of laptops are below:

1. Acer Predator Helios 500: Ryzen 7 2700, Vega 56, B450 Motherboard

2. HP Omen 17: Intel 7700HQ, RX 580 8GB

3. Asus ROG Strix GL702zc: Ryzen 7 1700, RX 580 4GB, B350 Motherboard

All of this laptops successfully install up to Mojave, with full Graphics acceleration.

Problems started with CATALINA 10.15

All of the installation started when Apple released Catalina. All of these laptop listed above showed the same issue. The installer is fine up to Mojave. The Os'es having problems are listed below:

1. Catalina

2.Big Sur

3. Monterey

Every single one of the laptops had issues with the last 3 OS releases. The problem shows as animate static sand instead of the installer page. Technically they all reach the installer page, but it wont graphically the menu.

I have connected external monitors to no avail, it just shows the grey color installation backdrop.

My perspective

Clearly Apple made some sort of overhaul starting Catalina, which it would make sense since is the starting point to an only 64bit OS. What I do not understand is why the compatible cards like the RX580 and the Vega can not properly render the installer page, but it works fine on High Sierra and Mojave.

Currently all of them are on Mojave and they work great.

I know laptops with compatible Radeon cards are very minimal when compared to intel IGPUs which is what most use for Hackintosh. But if anyone have some experience to solve this issue to solve the rendering issue on the installation page would be super

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    46.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

xpkiller

AMD OS X Member

xpkiller

AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk, I don't know why it goes through to the end with whateverGreen and then is displayed with (HDMI),
so everything has been loaded? With NootedRed the charging process stops in a panic?
I think it's because I can't set the GPU in the BIOS?
I took another screenshot of the graphics memory in Windows on the laptop,
it looks as if the graphics card only has 0.2 GB instead of 1 GB and 4 GB in total? You can not change it?
Can't you set the frame buffer in the config.plist under Device Properties?
It has to work somehow?

GPU-RX580.png

xpkiller

AMD OS X Member
3. Asus ROG Strix GL702zc: Ryzen 7 1700, RX 580 4GB, B350 Motherboard

All of this laptops successfully install up to Mojave, with full Graphics acceleration.

Problems started with CATALINA 10.15
@Jo-Toku
Do you have the original EFI with all drivers and kext files for the Asus ROG Strix GL702zc: Ryzen 7 1700, RX 580 4GB, B350 motherboard? I would like to try this and see if I can get Mojave to boot with it?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.