[HELP] Monterey 12.6.1 through 12.6.6 Updates Fail

Toddnix

AMD OS X Member
Hi all-

I've been trying to get the Monterey patches to install at various points since 12.6.1. The updates simply will not go through and the system doesn't boot after most of the installation goes through (and I have to manually restore the system from a disk image).

I believe I have an issue with the NVMe fixes as well because the system won't always boot reliably and sometimes takes a few reboots after freezes- see the attached screenshot for where the boot fails with the 12.6 Monterey install.

I hoped it would resolve itself over time, but I'm past that hope now. Here are the system specs:

OpenCore 9.1 and regularly update KEXTS and drivers via OCAuxilaryTools
Ryzen 3950x
Radeon 5700XT
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB system drive
Taichi x570 motherboard

My config.plist and the screenshot of my current boot error are attached.

Please help! :)

Attachments

• IMG_9008.jpeg
    IMG_9008.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • config.plist
    65.1 KB · Views: 3

Toddnix

AMD OS X Member
A quick update: I noticed that the NVMeFix kept wasn’t in my config.plist for some
Unknown reason, so I added it just before the AMDPowerManagement next in the confit and it seems to have addressed some of the boot issues.

NOTE: The NVMeFix documentation states it is needed for some power management features, but power management doesn’t say NVMeFix is needed.

So the system booted well and I updated to OC 9.2 and figured I’d give it a go. I’ll skip ahead a little- after about 20 restarts and boots into Restore I got frustrated that I’d need to revert my image again (a 12 hour process). I shut my box down, swore a few times, and left to run some errands. Upon return (from the hard power off) I figured I’d try one more time and the friggin patch installed.

I don’t feel really good about it, but it seems stable at the moment. I can unlock it from my Apple Watch and everything else looks good, so… ??? I don’t know what to say except maybe try hard powering off if you are having issues with an update (I reset the NVRAM earlier too).

Toddnix

AMD OS X Member
In an attempt to keep improving my system I upgraded OC and the latest KEXTs. I was poking around my config.plist and changed a few things that I thought were benign... and added RadeonSensor back to the mix since I'm using a 5700XT.

Long story short I can't boot MacOS all. I can't boot into my backup SSD (direct copy of 12.6.0 image using dd), and can't even get a USB to boot now. I managed to figure out OpenShell (back to 1992 DOS days...) and copied my old EFI folder manually. Still no luck. Something is very screwed up on the Mac install- I can't get the recovery to boot either, so I can't restore my SSD image, can't attempt to recover things from TimeMachine, or just 'reinstall' MacOS from the recovery image.

My windows install on the same machine works though, so at least my machine is usable.

I'll try for the next week or so to get MacOS back up and running, but if I don't get it working soon there's a Studio with an M2 Max in my future. My hackintosh was only a stop-gap until better MacPro-like alternatives became available.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
@Toddnix,
Well there is a way to resolve your issue. Grab a copy of Transmac for Windows and see if you can retrieve your EFI or backups that way.

Anyways I've taken the liberty to also look at your issue and check at your last posts (about your system) and created an updated EFI
to the latest OC 0.9.4 plus kexts for the Taichi x570. I also found what seemed to be the error - that some of your PCI ID value key fields
were mixed up with the word 'Comment' placed inside of them. These errors have all been removed from the config.plist you posted.

All you need to do is enter your UUIDs and serials in the SMBIOS in the EFI and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.8 MB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.