Hackintosh Bypass of Apple Silicon: M Chips, T Chips, Any Chips, Why Can't Apple Kill Hackintosh by Making OS X Run Only on Their Gear?

carla_rogers

AMD OS X Member
I know this question must be covered hundreds or thousands of times in various forms throughout these forums. I need a simple update to get some orientation enough to get down to serious work on building my new machine, which I hope will be an AMD OS X. If I can get the info by reading a few existing links, I will be all over that. In other words, I am not looking for a custom answer, if all I need is a few articles that bring me up to date on this...

About 4 years ago, maybe 5, I took a moderately hard look at this path for upgrading my 2012 MacPro 5,1. At that time, one of the main features of the whole universe of Hackintosh's, not only AMD OS X, was the emergence of Apple Silicon. My initial calculation told me: "Within a few years, maybe less than 5, OS X will run only on Apple hardware, because that is the way Apple wants it. If they make the OS and the hardware, they will be able to lock out hardware that does not have their magic keys built in. We will be able to keep running what we have now, but without the Apple hardware, upgrades to OS X will be impossible to install on non-apple gear". I double checked that calculation and thought I was smart.

About a minute after figuring that out, I was shown I was as dumb as ever not smart. If everyone was as dumb as me, my calculation would have been right. Fortunately, smart people were saying my calculation was wayyyy too pessimistic, because, paraphrasing, "if Apple locked their OS that tight. it would put too many of their customers into worlds of hurt, with problems that would be inevitable. We have been finding ways to work around Apple's attempts to lock us out.."

This started getting into M1 chips, I saw M3 some time ago... or was it T chips.?

Any thoughts and where I can go to get up to date on the issue of OS X being locked out of non-apple computers?

Thank you.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
I know this question must be covered hundreds or thousands of times in various forms throughout these forums. I need a simple update to get some orientation enough to get down to serious work on building my new machine, which I hope will be an AMD OS X. If I can get the info by reading a few existing links, I will be all over that. In other words, I am not looking for a custom answer, if all I need is a few articles that bring me up to date on this...

About 4 years ago, maybe 5, I took a moderately hard look at this path for upgrading my 2012 MacPro 5,1. At that time, one of the main features of the whole universe of Hackintosh's, not only AMD OS X, was the emergence of Apple Silicon. My initial calculation told me: "Within a few years, maybe less than 5, OS X will run only on Apple hardware, because that is the way Apple wants it. If they make the OS and the hardware, they will be able to lock out hardware that does not have their magic keys built in. We will be able to keep running what we have now, but without the Apple hardware, upgrades to OS X will be impossible to install on non-apple gear". I double checked that calculation and thought I was smart.

About a minute after figuring that out, I was shown I was as dumb as ever not smart. If everyone was as dumb as me, my calculation would have been right. Fortunately, smart people were saying my calculation was wayyyy too pessimistic, because, paraphrasing, "if Apple locked their OS that tight. it would put too many of their customers into worlds of hurt, with problems that would be inevitable. We have been finding ways to work around Apple's attempts to lock us out.."

This started getting into M1 chips, I saw M3 some time ago... or was it T chips.?

Any thoughts and where I can go to get up to date on the issue of OS X being locked out of non-apple computers?

Thank you.
Google.

Steve901

AMD OS X Member
I heard that some people have become loyal users of Apple because of the use of Hichintosh OS, which may be a backdoor to educate customers.:devilish:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Apple have chosen not to prevent Hackintosh users downloading and installing macOS because it suits their needs.

A number of years ago (8 years ago I think) Apple added a routine to one or more of their servers, which prevented anyone not using a real Mac from activating iCloud, iMessages and the AppStore. This put a serious block on any new systems being activated. They chose to lift this requirement and it has stayed pretty much unrestricted since.

No one outside Apple really knows why they don't cut the Hackintosh world off at its knees. It could easily do so but they probably get a fair bit of money from all the applications and services Hackintosh users buy from Apple. It could be that a lot of Hackintosh users buy in to the Apple ecosystem for iPhones, iPads and eventually real Macs, so maybe it is an economic decision.

carla_rogers

AMD OS X Member
Apple have chosen not to prevent Hackintosh users downloading and installing macOS because it suits their needs.

A number of years ago (8 years ago I think) Apple added a routine to one or more of their servers, which prevented anyone not using a real Mac from activating iCloud, iMessages and the AppStore. This put a serious block on any new systems being activated. They chose to lift this requirement and it has stayed pretty much unrestricted since.

No one outside Apple really knows why they don't cut the Hackintosh world off at its knees. It could easily do so but they probably get a fair bit of money from all the applications and services Hackintosh users buy from Apple. It could be that a lot of Hackintosh users buy in to the Apple ecosystem for iPhones, iPads and eventually real Macs, so maybe it is an economic decision.
Interesting. Maybe I will email Timmy so he can let me know. If hear back, will let you know.

carla_rogers

AMD OS X Member
@craighazan I am so glad you provided this innovative, relevant suggestion. I never would have considered any search engine for information relevant to grasping design of a Hackintosh. As stated in the first phrase of the first sentenced of the OP, I knew this forum contains thousands of posts relevant to the questions starting this thread. It just never occurred to me information on designing Hackintosh's might be available from many places on the internet, which could be found using Google Search. Based on that assumption, I had calculated Google Search was of no potential value in my efforts to learn.

Either that, or

In spite of the popular fetish that no question shall be asked more than once on any forum on any subject, I formed a dissident opinion on the value to the forum of having yet another thread on a basic topic. I here publicly confess that before starting this thread, I did NOT read and study every single post on every single thread in this forum bearing on the topic of this thread.* AND YET, even without benefit of the knowledge I could potentially apply had I simply complied with the "never ask previously-asked question," or its inbred sibling, "never ask a question which is answered by Google Search, I am willing to stake my mind on the assumption that exactly NONE of the previously-asked questions or already-available web pages linked by Google Search match closely with the narrow, uninformed hold on the question that a Power Greater Than I provided to my mind as of the time I posted the question. I also have noticed that certain benefits are given to people who engage in problem-solving/learning discussion with others, such that no amount of private study in preparation can match the quality and meaning of the result obtained through discussion with other people It is plausible that the potential for directing my question to Google was known to me, and that I also am acquainted with the principle, "The Best Way to Learn Is To Teach." Combining all these considerations led me to the hypothesis that I relied upon when starting this thread, which was, my question is unique, even though it is not as unique as some other questions, and it is unique enough to offer for placement among all the other asks of the same question in various forms, and that asking my question, then engaging in serious written responses with anyone who offered their words toward answering the question is a legitimate way to contribute value to this magnificent forum.

It is possible that

When I asked Google the question stating this thread, its response was, "The best way to get the best answer to this question is to post it at AMD OS X forum." How do you know that is not what Google told me?

Another Confession

I have a prejudice. When I see the "Ask Google" or "did you search the forum before asking" messages posted for the two hundred thousandth time (your post actually is the one that got over the top of 199,999 times I had seen that post), when unsupported with an explanation and support aimed at helping the fellow human being being answered, comes across as rude, lazy, insulting, and pompous. One of my objectives today is to free myself from this hideous prejudice.

Final Confession This Post
I can think of no reason to suppose that anyone receiving the "Google" response would appreciate and be enriched more than you were enriched by my question.

Can you?

*I expect that over the next few months, I will have read most of the threads on this forum relevant to what I asked. My brain is limited to a rate of learning that will occupy me for months in order to absorb the information already posted on AMD OS X

craighazan

Donator
Donator
@carla_rogers sorry my sense of humor offended you. Back to your question, it’s a very long winded question so I’m trying to distill it and figure out your point. Ok, the best I can come up with is that Apple don’t want to miss anything, we’re the frenimies!. No doubt in a couple of years we’ll no longer be able build our own Apple computers, because the transition will be complete. Intel Mac Pros were still being sold up to a few months ago so we can expect to see some support over the next year or two. At the end of the day Apple is a business, their carefully manicured image doesn’t change that. Apple are famous for denying that hackintosh even exists, but at the end of the day we’re likely be buying a real Mac when support ends.

carla_rogers

AMD OS X Member
@carla_rogers sorry my sense of humor offended you. Back to your question, it’s a very long winded question so I’m trying to distill it and figure out your point. Ok, the best I can come up with is that Apple don’t want to miss anything, we’re the frenimies!. No doubt in a couple of years we’ll no longer be able build our own Apple computers, because the transition will be complete. Intel Mac Pros were still being sold up to a few months ago so we can expect to see some support over the next year or two. At the end of the day Apple is a business, their carefully manicured image doesn’t change that. Apple are famous for denying that Hackintosh even exists, but at the end of the day we’re likely be buying a real Mac when support ends.
Thank you for being so gracious in responding to my salty post. I am sorry I failed to notice the humor you expressed. I promise, no more static from me,

Regarding the future of Hackentoshes, once the road is blocked by the Apple Silicon... I was going to share a vision I just had that we will have to maintain software with Apple's help. Then, it dawned on me that would be a heavy burden.

I used to respect Apple, but not so much anymore. Now I pretty much hate Apple, because of hassles they put into their systems. What is worse Microsoft.

All that said, I very much appreciate your thoughts on the question I am asking about the future of Hackintoshs

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I think Apple has no reason to invest time and energy into some sort of tit-for-tat arms race in trying to prevent people to build a Hackintosh. We represent a small number of users and if anything, we still use Apple products and services. For me personally there simply wasn't anything worthwhile to replace my ageing Mac mini server with in 2020. Just three years later that situation has changed with updated Apple Silicon mini's and the Studio if I wanted to upgrade to something more powerful.

I had reluctantly come to terms to having to switch to Windows but the Ryzentosh hasn't kernel paniced on me once. Adobe was bit of a struggle in the beginning, but no longer. And thanks to my being able to stay in the Apple ecosystem, once macOS really doesn't do Intel anymore (I'm guessing 1 or 2 future versions still apply) I will get a Studio or Mini.

The fact macOS on Intel is by now on life support probably also helps to explain Apple isn't to focused on the whole Hackintosh community.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
I had reluctantly come to terms to having to switch to Windows but the Ryzentosh hasn't kernel paniced on me once. Adobe was bit of a struggle in the beginning, but no longer. And thanks to my being able to stay in the Apple ecosystem, once macOS really doesn't do Intel anymore (I'm guessing 1 or 2 future versions still apply) I will get a Studio or Mini.

Here's the thing though. As someone who literally has been using Apple computers since 1978 at only 4 months old (attempting Brickout) and by age 3 cracking open the case to plug in the joystick to the motherboard so I can play Sabotage, I find Apple computers boring AF now! After my 17" C2D iMac couldn't cut the mustard anymore, in 2010 I built my first Hackintosh and haven't looked back. Not only was the performance significantly faster than 90% of their products at 90% less cost, I rekindled my love of being able to build and customize my own computers, specifically the many Macintosh systems I had over the decades. Using a Hackintosh is simply more satisfying, even if it is merely the fact that you are using a computer YOU build. Sadly due to my father's untimely passing, I inherited his M1 iMac. At first I was kind of excited, but after only a couple days the feeling was gone and I literally haven't touched it since. It's just so damn uninspiring and feels cold and sterile to use! I hooked up my old 27" Samsung 144Hz 1440P curved monitor and Corsair keyboard and mouse, but knowing the fact that the iMac literally is what it is and will be until it dies just kills me inside. Maybe if it had upgradable RAM and I could add a Thunderbolt eGPU my opinion may change. But we all know what Apple has done in regards to the latter, so meh. I will be content with Mac OS 15 or whatever the last version will be, forever using it for Photos and Audirvana.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.