Flash GOP uefi bios to HD7770

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi there. I kindly ask for your assistance.
I would like to flash a GOP vBios to my AMD Radeon HD7770

The card is this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-hd-7770.b609

I will use GPU-Z to extract the original vBios rom.

Can someone please let me know what kind of software I need to convert the original vBios to the GOP Uefi one?

After doing this I will flash the new rom using ATI Flash.

But what software do I need to do the conversion? And where can I downloaded from?

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You may need something like one of these Radeon Bios editors.

Other tools that may be of help.

You would probably be better served if you have an edited or updated vBios that just requires flashing to the HD7770, rather than editing the vBios yourself. The link below contains a list of all the vBios's that have been uploaded to TechPowerUp for the HD7770. You might want to check to see which vBios yours uses, and whether a newer version is available. Then see what the newer vBios offers.

Major vBios edits are not for the faint hearted and if done wrong can brick your dGPU.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I've used this tool before for AMD and Nvidia,

Latest version, https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/amd-and-nvidia-gop-update-no-requests-diy/30917/1745?u=shaneee

Extract your VBIOS using GPU-Z and run it through the utility. Then flash it using the link Edhawk shared for AMD Flashing. As you're essentially flashing back the same VBIOS just updated there shouldn't be any issues. Just keep a backup just in case.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@Shaneee that is some post at the top of the GOP update link. So much information provided and to take in, it needs to be read 3 or 4 times not twice!

As you're essentially flashing back the same VBIOS just updated there shouldn't be any issues.
The caveat with the above, is you need to do the update and flashback correctly.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Thank you both for your help.

@Edhawk I found an already prepared GOP Efi bios for this gpu (as you suggested) in techpowerup and I flashed it and it worked.

I am using this card in a sonoma hackintosh.
I had to use OCLP to patch back the 7000 and 8000 kexts and it is working properly.

But DRM is not working. Hackintool shows VDA decoder failed.
I plan on trying unfairgva=1 (or 5 or 7).

Smbios is iMacPro1,1. (The cpu is a haswell i5-4660).

Do you have any other suggestions...?
Thanks.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Good to hear you have the card up and running in Sonoma. It is difficult to tell what patches and edits have been enabled, as you are using OCLP and an edited vBIOS.

With this Haswell system running a non-natively supported version of macOS, I am assuming you have disabled the IGPU in the BIOS. As you are using an SMBIOS for an Apple system that lacks an IGPU. That you are only using the HD7770 for graphics processing. Is that correct?

If you have used OCLP to enable both the IGPU and HD 7770, then you may be the architect of your own downfall regarding DRM, especially as you are using the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

Are you using the top two boot arguments shown below? With the alternative vBios you may not need radpg=15, depends on what was changed in the vBios you are using.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 20.11.12.png

If yes, then you probably don't need the bottom boot argument.

What level of metal support is being shown for the HD 7770 in the System Information > Graphics/Displays report. The screenshot below shows the Graphics/Display report for my AMD X570 system, as an example.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 20.04.45.png

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
For the time being I am using just radpg=15 (this is needed for the initialization of the HD7770) and amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 (as OCPL could not patch the needed gpu kexts back to S/L/E without first disabling AMFI).

OCLP was only used for patching back the necessary GPU kexts. (I just ran the post boot patches for GCN cards).

There is no setting in my BIOS to disable the iGPU this is why I used the iMacPro1,1 smbios.

I will check tomorrow about the version of metal support but I think it just said metal support : yes.

I will also try to add -radcodec and will let you know.

Again, many thanks.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You may need to use -wegnoigpu boot argument to make sure the IGPU is disabled.

Alternatively, you can create an SSDT to disable the IGPU in macOS.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Apologies @Edhawk , I've just seen your reply.

What I tried was to add the -radcodec argument and also add the unfairgva to device properties.
The card is metal supported but the decoder fails...
Please see the screenshots.

I will try tomorrow to also add the -wegnoigpu argument.
Unfortunately I do not know how to create an SSDT for disabling the iGpu.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 1.59.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 1.59.03 PM.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 1.59.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 1.59.22 PM.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.00.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.00.28 PM.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.00.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.00.57 PM.png
    138 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.01.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 2.01.28 PM.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You could add the unfairgva=7 as a boot argument.

Post a copy of the files you can generate from Hackintool > PCIe devices tab (bottom right icon), I may be able to create an SSDT that will disable the IGPU.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 18.41.54.png Hackintool > PCIe tab 'Export' icon highlighted

This will generate 4 x files, add them to a folder, zip and attach a copy of the folder.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I tried all boot args I could think of. Could not enable VDA decoder...
I attach my EFI and the files you requested.

Again, many many thanks.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 0
  • EFI.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 0

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I’ll get a chance to have a look at these later today.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Only when you have time and only if you want. There is no rush. I will have access to this PC earliest on Monday.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I will have a look at it over the weekend then.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk Did you maybe have the time to have a look at the Efi and that config.plists?

Is there any hope to get DRM working forthis GPU or should I just accept the fact that it is an old non-supported GPU ?:geek::giggle:

I run the VDA decoder checker and I got the attached result.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 1.49.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 1.49.55 PM.png
    168 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.