Can I use a m2 wifi card on an Asus Strix b450i motherboard?

david30xie

AMD OS X Member
Long story short, I am wondering if I can buy m2 wifi card for Asus b450i motherboard. I haven't bought the board and card yet, but I wanna make sure I have the answers before I actually buy anything:
  1. Can I use those 2 m.2 slots for storage and wifi?
  2. If I can, what kind of wifi card can I buy? I know there are different m.2 keys, such as A, E, A+E, what does b450i board support? I found a wifi card here: BCM94352Z.
  3. If it is supported, do I need anything else? Clearly there are 2 dots on that wifi card, and I assume I have to plug something to them. Do I need to buy more stuff?
I also posted my question on Reddit: , but no one answered it yet :ROFLMAO:

Can someone give me a hint here? Thanks very much!

marsb007

AMD OS X Member
Long story short, I am wondering if I can buy m2 wifi card for Asus b450i motherboard. I haven't bought the board and card yet, but I wanna make sure I have the answers before I actually buy anything:
  1. Can I use those 2 m.2 slots for storage and wifi?
  2. If I can, what kind of wifi card can I buy? I know there are different m.2 keys, such as A, E, A+E, what does b450i board support? I found a wifi card here: BCM94352Z.
  3. If it is supported, do I need anything else? Clearly there are 2 dots on that wifi card, and I assume I have to plug something to them. Do I need to buy more stuff?
I also posted my question on Reddit: , but no one answered it yet :ROFLMAO:

Can someone give me a hint here? Thanks very much!

I see your board has built in Wifi, so first thing I would suggest is to figure out if you can take off the shield from the Wifi part. It seems it's held together by 1 screw, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to take off. If you can unscrew it from the front, it shouldn't be that hard. If it's from the rear, you'd literally have to take the entire motherboard off and try.

If it does come off, you should simply be able to pull off the existing card and replace with the one you linked. You would have to use the existing antenna leads and connect to the new card.

As far as using an existing M.2 slot, assuming you could, how are you going to get signal inside a big metal box? The card needs to be connected to some antennas. Same with your Bluetooth...

If you want to see the surgery I performed on my board, see this post from the old forum.

david30xie

AMD OS X Member
@marsb007 I got my board today, so I removed that wifi module first, and there's what I saw:
1588784237671.png
so yes, if I can find a chip with same interface and size, it should be working perfectly! thank you for your help!

marsb007

AMD OS X Member
It’s a standard M.2 WiFi card. I replaced my Intel AX200 with this one. WiFi Card
Broadcom 94360 In A/E M.2 format. That card works out of the box with no extra drivers needed. You do not need to inject any Kexts.

Last edited:

marsb007

AMD OS X Member
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.