Black screen after second stage boot (login screen) on FX-6300 and Sapphire Radeon RX 590

spykor

AMD OS X Member
Hi guys!
I need help with this. I decided to upgrade to macOS 12 Monterey from macOS 11 Big Sur. Until now I had a NVIDIA GT 730 that was working fine, but I read that Nvidia would not work with Monterey. I tried the OCLP patch to make Nvidia work in Monterey but it didn't cut it. So I decided to get me a (second hand for 100€) AMD Radeon RX 590 (I found RX 580 for about the same price so I decided opt for the 590) since in all relevant sites, it was mentioned that Polaris core (RX 580, RX 590, etc) was compatible with macOS Big Sur, Monterrey and even Ventura.
I installed the graphics card and Big Sur 11.7.10 works just fine. Acceleration and all. But, when I try to boot from the Monterey disk (I have Big Sur and Monterrey on separate disks) the system boots fine up to the point of second stage (I can see the Apple logo accelerated) and when it starts to load the system and land into the login screen, the screen goes blank and alternates between display messages (the messages the display shows when it comes alive) and never settles in the login screen.
I use OpenCore 0.9.8. If I set boot argument "-amd_no_dgpu_accel" in NVRAM the system boots fine and lands in Monterey login screen. When I click "About This Mac", it reports back that it sees the graphics card just fine. I guess this means that for some reason the acceleration framebuffer has a problem. Of course you can't use the system without graphics acceleration. It's useless. Has anybody experienced such a problem with RX 580 or RX 590 cards in old AMD CPUs (FX series)?

System: mobo Giabyte GA-990XA-UD3, CPU FX-6300, Mem 8GB DDR3, Graphics Sapphire Radeon RX 590, macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey on separate disks (SSD), Linux EndeavourOS on separate disk (SSD), Opencore 0.9.8
Below I have attached the EFI used.

Thanks inadvance for any help

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.