Audio stuttering with ultrawide monitor

arize

AMD OS X Member
Hey all,

I've recently upgraded to a 49" 5120x1440 monitor. I used to have 3 1080p monitors. Everything was working fine until I upgraded to the bigger monitor with a higher resolution.

When I have a program such as ableton or discord open with a small window, the audio is fine.
Screen-Shot-2022-12-19-at-2-23-04-AM.png

However, when enlarging the window, the audio will start to drop/stutter.
Screen-Shot-2022-12-19-at-2-23-14-AM.png

The problem occurs with the onboard audio and also with a usb interface. Everything was working fine until I used a monitor with a higher resolution. Surprisingly it doesn't happen with google chrome.

System specs:
  1. Asus x570 motherboard
  2. Ryzen 5700g (not using the onboard graphics)
  3. RX 5700XT
  4. 32gb's of ram
Things I've tried to do to solve the problem:
  1. Disabled serial ports
  2. Updated to the latest opencore, 0.8.7
  3. Changed refresh rate
  4. Disabled and enabled XMP
  5. Enabled and disabled above 4g decoding and resize bar
  6. PCI express ports set to GEN 3
  7. Tried using speedkeeper
  8. Tried changing sample rates
  9. Used onboard audio and usb audio
  10. Used HDMI instead of DP
Anyone ever experience anything like this and have a solution?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Does audio stutter occur with OpenCore 0.8.6 (previous release)?

Does SpeedKeeper reduce the audio stutter?

arize

AMD OS X Member
Does audio stutter occur with OpenCore 0.8.6 (previous release)?

Does SpeedKeeper reduce the audio stutter?
Yes audio stutter occurs with OpenCore 0.8.6.

Speedkeeper does NOT help with audio stutter.

I tried this with a RX 5700XT and RX 5700. Happens on both cards. Starting to think that the new opencore partially fixed the problem with G processors, but in scenarios like mine, it doesn't help much.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
If you still have the older smaller monitor, does the problem disappear if you disconnect the new monitor and reconnect the old monitor?

In other words, is the problem really due to the new monitor?

arize

AMD OS X Member
If you still have the older smaller monitor, does the problem disappear if you disconnect the new monitor and reconnect the old monitor?

In other words, is the problem really due to the new monitor?
I don't think it's due to the monitor but it's due to the resolution of the applications.

Yes the problem goes away, but that's because the resolution/window size of the application is smaller. The ultrawide is fine as well when the resolution/window size of the application is small, but when I stretch the application, that's when it starts to lag.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Are these statements correct?
  • On a 5120x1440 monitor, Ableton works properly (no audio stutter) if the Ableton window size is non full-screen, but something smaller.
  • On a 5120x1440 monitor, Ableton exhibits audio stutter when Ableton window size is expanded to either full-screen width or something close to full width.
  • On a 5120x1440 monitor, audio playback through Google Chrome works properly regardless of the browser's window size.
  • On a 5120x1440 monitor, all other applications and browsers that are capable of audio playback work properly regardless of window size.

arize

AMD OS X Member
Are these statements correct?
  • On a 5120x1440 monitor, Ableton works properly (no audio stutter) if the Ableton window size is non full-screen, but something smaller.
  • On a 5120x1440 monitor, Ableton exhibits audio stutter when Ableton window size is expanded to either full-screen width or something close to full width.
  • On a 5120x1440 monitor, audio playback through Google Chrome works properly regardless of the browser's window size.
  • On a 5120x1440 monitor, all other applications and browsers that are capable of audio playback work properly regardless of window size.
Last statement is somewhat incorrect.

Google chrome works perfectly full screen. There are some apps that have the same behavior as ableton, such as discord, telegram, or screenflow. It depends on the application. Those 3 applications exhibit the same behavior as Ableton.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Last statement is somewhat incorrect.

Google chrome works perfectly full screen. There are some apps that have the same behavior as ableton, such as discord, telegram, or screenflow. It depends on the application. Those 3 applications exhibit the same behavior as Ableton.
I wonder if this happens on a real Mac as well when connected to that monitor. Do you have other Macs to test with?

Quite a few Hackintosh owners use 5120x1440 monitors. These have become more widely available and come in various screen sizes. I've not heard of this issue, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist on a wider scale.

Have you heard of other users facing the same problem?

Do you have another high-resolution monitor?

As you can see, I'm trying to determine whether this problem is (a) specific to the monitor regardless of Mac, (b) specific to the monitor but only with AMD Ryzen, (c) specific to the monitor but only with any Hackintosh, or (d) present on other 5K monitors as well.

We know that a large number of people have LG UltraFine 5K monitors. The resolution on those is not exactly the same as your monitor, but it does stretch to 5120 pixels wide. I've not heard of any such issues from UltraFine 5K owners on either AMD or Intel hacks.

arize

AMD OS X Member
I wonder if this happens on a real Mac as well when connected to that monitor. Do you have other Macs to test with?

Quite a few Hackintosh owners use 5120x1440 monitors. These have become more widely available and come in various screen sizes. I've not heard of this issue, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist on a wider scale.

Have you heard of other users facing the same problem?

Do you have another high-resolution monitor?

As you can see, I'm trying to determine whether this problem is (a) specific to the monitor regardless of Mac, (b) specific to the monitor but only with AMD Ryzen, (c) specific to the monitor but only with any Hackintosh, or (d) present on other 5K monitors as well.

We know that a large number of people have LG UltraFine 5K monitors. The resolution on those is not exactly the same as your monitor, but it does stretch to 5120 pixels wide. I've not heard of any such issues from UltraFine 5K owners on either AMD or Intel hacks.
Monitor works fine on my Macbook.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem unfortunately. I did see some threads with other people having somewhat of a similar issue, but their fixes did not work for me.

I wish I had my old 3700x to test out if this is indeed a problem with the G series. I've tried everything.

The problem is ridiculously annoying though so I've just decided to buy some intel parts and just move over to that. I have tried the monitor on a friends intel hack and it works perfectly so I'm assuming that the problem is processor related.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.