Any update on Sonoma OpenIntelWireless Wifi kext?

keef247

AMD OS X Member
Hi,
Everything works fine bar the OpenIntelWireless wifi kext, I'm using a Sonoma Alpha driver from Oct last year that was a nightmare to find, it works, but it frequently drops the connection speed from 63mb to 0-6mb connection wise when tested :(

So it could work fine for a bit then you're watching youtube/trying to load a page and suddenly it lags out like it's on dialup, you go and run a speedtest and find out you're running at 1-6mb over the usual 63mb.

This isn't an issue on my network on any of my other macs/tech, so it is definitely a kext issue, this never happened when I ran Big Sur with the OpenIntelWireless kext specific to that version :(

Has anyone got a link/a way of messaging the guy? Seems strange he would have done multiple Alpha versions and supported everything else and then stopped for so long and not finalised this?

It's the only thing that lets this build down :(

IF not is there a decent usb3.1 wifi dongle that'll 'just work'/known to work with a kext, that I can buy?

Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi,
Everything works fine bar the OpenIntelWireless wifi kext, I'm using a Sonoma beta driver from IIRC Sept last year that was a nightmare to find, it works, but it frequently drops the signal strength from 63mb to 1-6mb connection wise when tested :(

So it could work fine for a bit then you're watching youtube/trying to load a page and suddenly it lags out like it's on dialup, you go and run a speedtest and find out you're running at 1-6mb over the usual 63mb.

This isn't an issue on any of my other machines so is definitely a driver issue, this never happened when I ran Big Sur with the OpenIntelWireless kext specific to that :(

Has anyone got a link/a way of messaging the guy? Seems strange he would have done multiple beta versions and supported everything else and then stopped for so long and not finalised this?

It's the only thing that lets this build down :(

IF not is there a decent usb3.1 wifi dongle that'll 'just work'/known to work with a kext, that I can buy?
Here is the GitHub page, the latest version for Sonoma is still in the Alpha stage but is dated October last year.

keef247

AMD OS X Member
Here is the GitHub page, the latest version for Sonoma is still in the Alpha stage but is dated October last year.

Hi, yeah I've already got that, sorry I was mistaken before, and wrote that wrong when I said September. It's the October version I already have that doesn't work properly half the time.

keef247

AMD OS X Member
What is THE BEST wifi usb dongle? Fast as possible USB3.X type? @Shaneee

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I've had zero issues using itlwm on Sonoma.

For USB dongles take a look at the supported list from chris1111's package.

He confirmed it works on Sonoma, https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Big-Sur-Adapter/discussions/274

keef247

AMD OS X Member
I've had zero issues using itlwm on Sonoma.

For USB dongles take a look at the supported list from chris1111's package.

He confirmed it works on Sonoma, https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Big-Sur-Adapter/discussions/274
Crazy, what Intel do you have? Mine works flawlessly in linux/windows 10, just has this issue of decided to slow right down to nothing randomly every time it's used, and multiple times :(
Not really keen on running some random guys homemade app that could contain anything in the background in order to run hardware :(

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

keef247

AMD OS X Member

keef247

AMD OS X Member
@Shaneee there's no reason this weirdness could be happening due to not mapping usb ports right? I've never bothered on any version of macos on this rig (or any hackintosh) as this is MITX and IIRC has 6 rears and 2 on a header at the front, never had any issues?
I was of the understanding it's just for 8 or more when things screw up/don't get identified etc etc?
I can't see it being this personally as when I ran Big Sur, before it ran flawlessly with the Big Sur Airportitlwm? So this HAS to be a Sonoma/buggy Alpha stage kext issue surely?

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Shaneee there's no reason this weirdness could be happening due to not mapping usb ports right? I've never bothered on any version of macos on this rig (or any hackintosh) as this is MITX and IIRC has 6 rears and 2 on a header at the front, never had any issues?
I was of the understanding it's just for 8 or more when things screw up/don't get identified etc etc?
I can't see it being this personally as when I ran Big Sur, before it ran flawlessly with the Big Sur Airportitlwm? So this HAS to be a Sonoma/buggy Alpha stage kext issue surely?
It is always advisable to map your USB Ports but I doubt it will help your wireless situation, maybe. OSX will only recognize 15 USB ports, USB3 and USBc typically take two ports to function properly.. Does bluetooth work? Different versions of OSX handle USB differently or that is my take, I've occasionally had to remap ports after updating from Catalina or Big Sur etc. I think you will find the general feedback on the Alpha release kext is that it works okay, whatever situation you have is specific to your configuration and EFI.
BTW Chris111 is pretty well respected in the hackitosh community but your call.

keef247

AMD OS X Member
It is always advisable to map your USB Ports but I doubt it will help your wireless situation, maybe. OSX will only recognize 15 USB ports, USB3 and USBc typically take two ports to function properly.. Does bluetooth work? Different versions of OSX handle USB differently or that is my take, I've occasionally had to remap ports after updating from Catalina or Big Sur etc. I think you will find the general feedback on the Alpha release kext is that it works okay, whatever situation you have is specific to your configuration and EFI.
BTW Chris111 is pretty well respected in the hackitosh community but your call.
Bluetooth doesn't work, got it to work last time I did Sonoma, but it annoyed me too much this time so I gave up as I'd gone back to Big Sur and simply bought an Asus BT400 which was plug and play, which currently works with Sonoma with some kexts...

I currently have 4 rear usb3 ports and 2 usb2, I have a keyboard in the usb2, a corsair 2.4ghz mouse dongle in 1 usb3, and the asus in another usb3, that's it. each port has 1 below it, ie 2 rows of 6, 4 being usb3 2 being usb2... Then I have 2 front usb3.0 headers on the MITX case.

Do you know Chris in person then? Otherwise it could be anyone doing anything... An internet rep means nothing, I'm surprised @Edhawk would be surprised by this or you, no one just blindly runs unassigned code/homebrew apps especially from randoms... That's how you get jacked... The easiest way to con someone, is to give them what they want in this case with an app, then have it keylogging/doing christ knows what in the background/when you're in another room etc etc, no thanks! Having worked extensively in IT this is a rookie error big time.

You only have to look at those android tv boxes people buy off AliExpress that have malware/keyloggers etc etc in them that have been time after time proven to be doing so...

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Bluetooth doesn't work, got it to work last time I did Sonoma, but it annoyed me too much this time so I gave up as I'd gone back to Big Sur and simply bought an Asus BT400 which was plug and play, which currently works with Sonoma with some kexts...

I currently have 4 rear usb3 ports and 2 usb2, I have a keyboard in the usb2, a corsair 2.4ghz mouse dongle in 1 usb3, and the asus in another usb3, that's it. each port has 1 below it, ie 2 rows of 6, 4 being usb3 2 being usb2... Then I have 2 front usb3.0 headers on the MITX case.

Do you know Chris in person then? Otherwise it could be anyone doing anything... An internet rep means nothing, I'm surprised @Edhawk would be surprised by this or you, no one just blindly runs unassigned code/homebrew apps especially from randoms... That's how you get jacked... The easiest way to con someone, is to give them what they want in this case with an app, then have it keylogging/doing christ knows what in the background/when you're in another room etc etc, no thanks! Having worked extensively in IT this is a rookie error big time.

You only have to look at those android tv boxes people buy off AliExpress that have malware/keyloggers etc etc in them that have been time after time proven to be doing so...
My two cents, your bluetooth doesn't work because you need a correctly configured USB port for it to be recognized, if you are okay with that then all is good. Does the machine sleep and wake properly? Typically without a clean USB Map that is also an issue and for me a deal breaker. From my perspective its worth the effort to map the ports to have the system function correctly but that's me.
Meanwhile I think lack of information has you more concerned than is necessary regarding @Shaneee suggestion. I understand your concern but there is really nothing to loose trying out Chris111's solution if you have your data backed up. Here is his Github page, over at Tonymacx386 his Realtek solution for wireless is also regularly recommended by several moderators including @Edhawk who you mention.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Chris' work is trusted there's no need to worry there.

On the side of the AX210 with correct kexts etc it works flawlessly regardless of the vendor (Fenvi) as does BT with USB mapped as mentioned.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 15.53.52.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 15.53.52.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 15.54.22.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 15.54.22.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 15.56.01.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 15.56.01.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 15.56.13.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 15.56.13.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 9

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Chris' work is trusted there's no need to worry there.

On the side of the AX210 with correct kexts etc it works flawlessly regardless of the vendor (Fenvi) as does BT with USB mapped as mentioned.
I use the same Fenvi card in my AMD machine! As you say it works great.

keef247

AMD OS X Member
So I dug out a Realtek usb 8812UB, and got Chris's app working, typing it on it now...

Thanks for your help. Hopefully there's no nasty hidden key loggers/malware going on in this app...

Last edited:

keef247

AMD OS X Member
Is there anyway to disable that VERY annoying 'push button config' thing after login? It's already saved my wifi and connects as soon as I cancel the PBS pop up?

keef247

AMD OS X Member
Any ideas @Shaneee @leesurone that pop up with the scanning for push button config is really annoying and it just sits there doing it over and over till you click it then you have to wait for it to actually connect. there seems to be no settings on that app of chris' :( other than that though that has fully solved my flakey connection issues using that old realtek wifi5 usb dongle I had lying around, so haven't had to buy anything :)

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure. That's something you'd need to ask Chris. Either make an issue on the GitHub or if you're on InsanelyMac you can ask him there.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.