AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 580 Series

Deleted member 19278

AMD OS X Member
First time making a post here, tried looking through Dortania's guide but I wasn't able to find everything.
I am pretty sure my CPU and GPU are compatible, not sure about my WiFi adapter though.

SPECS:​
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H-CF
  • GPU: Radeon RX 580 8G
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 1178MHz
  • WiFi adapter: TP-LINK TL-WN781ND
Please tell me if I'm missing anything important. Thanks!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Your main components are OK for running macOS, up to and including macOS Ventura.

As you said, your TP-Link WiFi card is not supported in the newer releases of macOS, as it uses an Atheros AR9285 chip. These cards were supported in older versions of macOS but not in any of the most recent, i.e. Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura. I think Mojave and Catalina required an additional hack to make the AR9285 work.

You would be best served replacing the TP-Link WiFi card with a compatible natively supported Broadcom WiFi/BT card.

Deleted member 19278

AMD OS X Member
Thanks so much for the in-depth answer! Bummer this card isn't compatible, I am guessing there aren't any kexts or drivers for this WiFi card too.

That's not such a big issue though, mainly wanted to see if I could get my current build working, if I ever feel I want to really get into this I can invest some money in another card.

Again thanks for the response, I really appreciate your help and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Deleted member 19278

AMD OS X Member
Hey! Sorry to bother you again; unfortunately I don't think they really sell Broadcom cards where I live, so I'm looking through some other WiFi cards right now and I've come across the "TP-LINK TL-WN951N", would this card work?
If not, would the "Gigabyte GC-WBAX200" work?
I can't seem to find any other cards that have everything included, mostly because I don't know enough hardware stuff to put the right search terms.
The "Intel AX200 M.2" seems to be good too but as I said, I can't tell if I'd need to get anything more to be able to install it.

I've linked where I found each and every product I mentioned; it is a Greek website though, I hope it helps clear things up.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.