AMD mini PC Gen Machine Ren7000

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I am just confirming that I have installed macOS Ventura on this Gen Machine Ren 7000 series mini PC, after a few component changes to the stock system.

The component changes included:
  1. Replacement of the Kingspec NX series 512GB NVMe drive with a Crucial P3 Plus 1TB NVMe drive, for use as macOS boot drive.
  2. Replacement of the Realtek RTL8852B WiFi/BT card with an Intel AX200NGW WiFi/BT card.
  3. Addition of Integral 512GB M.2 NVMe 2242 PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD, for use as Windows boot drive.
  4. Addition of DDDR4 8GB 3200MHz RAM (spare from defunct laptop) to go with existing 16GB module.
First thing I did was install Windows 11 on the Kingspec NX NVME card, updated it and had it running really well.

Before removing the Windows 11 drive.
  • I used Corpnewt's SSDTTime script and the system DSDT.aml to generate the following custom SSDT's and companion patches:
    • SSSDT-EC.aml
    • SSDT-HPET.aml +OC patches
    • SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml
    • SSDT-USBX.aml
    • SSDT-OSXI.aml + OC patch
  • I created a UTBMap.kext in Windows using USBToolBox Tool.
    • The mini PC has the following USB ports:
      • 2 x USB3 ports on the front
      • 2 x USB2 ports on the rear
      • 1 x Type-C port on the rear (Data and Display)
      • 2 x Internal USB ports for Bluetooth and Audio
  • I used Device Manager to check the details of the main components present in the system, which included the following:
    • CPU - Ryzen 5 7530U 6-core/12-thread (Laptop CPU)
    • Chipset - no idea! (Gen Machine support/spec details are pants!)
    • Ethernet - Realtek RTL8168 1GB Ethernet port on the rear of the case (RealtekRTL8111.kext supports this port)
    • Audio - USB Audio (Supported by AppleALCU.kext)
    • Graphics - AMD Radeon Graphics (supported by NootedRed.kext)
      • Graphics Core Count 7
      • Graphics Frequency 2000 MHz
I built the OpenCore 0.9.8 EFI based on the above information, using a standard AMD Ryzen system config, following the Dortania guide.
I used the iMac20,1 SMBIOS for this system.

I then made some changes to the EFI contents and config after reviewing @craighazan & @Leesureone EFI's, for their respective Ren5000 and Trigkey mini PC systems. So thanks for leading the way on these AMD mini PC systems.

The EFI folder contents looks like this in Finder:
Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 00.00.45.png Gen Machine Ren700 OpenCore EFI folder contents

The image above shows the final EFI, it didn't start life like this and took a number of revisions to get it to boot macOS.
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml was a post installation addition. once macOS Ventura was up and running.

The Installation of macOS Ventura did not follow the expected route.
  • The first phase of the installation process went through as expected.
  • Then there were a number of times during the subsequent installation stages where the system just stopped, with no error show in the verbose text.
  • Unsurprisingly, the Apple Logo with progress bar never showed during the installation, as it doesn't show the second stage Apple Logo when booting macOS while using NootedRed.kext.
  • I used the power button a couple of times to reboot the system, after some lengthy delays, to get the system moving again. This seemed to help and I ended up on the Language/Country/Account selection part of the installation.
After that it was plain sailing, not noticed any issues while setting up the system, installing Apps, signing in to iCloud, Messages etc.
System runs dual 25" Dell Ultrasharp displays 2560x1440 using the two HDMI connectors on the rear of the case.
Not seen any flickering/artefacts or other graphics related issues.
Not used the Type-C for display purposes, as I don't have a Type-C display.

Some Screenshots from Hackintool to show the main components etc.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 00.38.04.png Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 00.36.26.png Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 00.38.27.png

Anyhow, for those interested I have attached a copy of the OpenCore 0.9.8 EFI. Obviously I have removed the SMBIOS data from the config.plist. So if you have a similar system you need to add your own SMBIOS data before using this EFI.

The system is currently running Ventura 13.5.2, as that was the version of macOS Ventura I had on my USB installation drive I used.
I will update it to run the latest Ventura 13.7.4 and create a second APFS Container, so I can run Sonoma on the system too.
This is why the EFI currently contains 2 x Airportitlwm.kext's as one is for Ventura and the other for Sonoma.

Attachments

• EFI-0.9.8.zip
    40.7 MB · Views: 14

Danish297

AMD OS X Member
I am just confirming that I have installed macOS Ventura on this Gen Machine Ren 7000 series mini PC, after a few component changes to the stock system.

The component changes included:
  1. Replacement of the Kingspec NX series 512GB NVMe drive with a Crucial P3 Plus 1TB NVMe drive, for use as macOS boot drive.
  2. Replacement of the Realtek RTL8852B WiFi/BT card with an Intel AX200NGW WiFi/BT card.
  3. Addition of Integral 512GB M.2 NVMe 2242 PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD, for use as Windows boot drive.
  4. Addition of DDDR4 8GB 3200MHz RAM (spare from defunct laptop) to go with existing 16GB module.
First thing I did was install Windows 11 on the Kingspec NX NVME card, updated it and had it running really well.

Before removing the Windows 11 drive.
  • I used Corpnewt's SSDTTime script and the system DSDT.aml to generate the following custom SSDT's and companion patches:
    • SSSDT-EC.aml
    • SSDT-HPET.aml +OC patches
    • SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml
    • SSDT-USBX.aml
    • SSDT-OSXI.aml + OC patch
  • I created a UTBMap.kext in Windows using USBToolBox Tool.
    • The mini PC has the following USB ports:
      • 2 x USB3 ports on the front
      • 2 x USB2 ports on the rear
      • 1 x Type-C port on the rear (Data and Display)
      • 2 x Internal USB ports for Bluetooth and Audio
  • I used Device Manager to check the details of the main components present in the system, which included the following:
    • CPU - Ryzen 5 7530U 6-core/12-thread (Laptop CPU)
    • Chipset - no idea! (Gen Machine support/spec details are pants!)
    • Ethernet - Realtek RTL8168 1GB Ethernet port on the rear of the case (RealtekRTL8111.kext supports this port)
    • Audio - USB Audio (Supported by AppleALCU.kext)
    • Graphics - AMD Radeon Graphics (supported by NootedRed.kext)
      • Graphics Core Count 7
      • Graphics Frequency 2000 MHz
I built the OpenCore 0.9.8 EFI based on the above information, using a standard AMD Ryzen system config, following the Dortania guide.
I used the iMac20,1 SMBIOS for this system.

I then made some changes to the EFI contents and config after reviewing @craighazan & @Leesureone EFI's, for their respective Ren5000 and Trigkey mini PC systems. So thanks for leading the way on these AMD mini PC systems.

The EFI folder contents looks like this in Finder:
View attachment 13449 Gen Machine Ren700 OpenCore EFI folder contents

The image above shows the final EFI, it didn't start life like this and took a number of revisions to get it to boot macOS.
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml was a post installation addition. once macOS Ventura was up and running.

The Installation of macOS Ventura did not follow the expected route.
  • The first phase of the installation process went through as expected.
  • Then there were a number of times during the subsequent installation stages where the system just stopped, with no error show in the verbose text.
  • Unsurprisingly, the Apple Logo with progress bar never showed during the installation, as it doesn't show the second stage Apple Logo when booting macOS while using NootedRed.kext.
  • I used the power button a couple of times to reboot the system, after some lengthy delays, to get the system moving again. This seemed to help and I ended up on the Language/Country/Account selection part of the installation.
After that it was plain sailing, not noticed any issues while setting up the system, installing Apps, signing in to iCloud, Messages etc.
System runs dual 25" Dell Ultrasharp displays 2560x1440 using the two HDMI connectors on the rear of the case.
Not seen any flickering/artefacts or other graphics related issues.
Not used the Type-C for display purposes, as I don't have a Type-C display.

Some Screenshots from Hackintool to show the main components etc.

View attachment 13446 View attachment 13447 View attachment 13448

Anyhow, for those interested I have attached a copy of the OpenCore 0.9.8 EFI. Obviously I have removed the SMBIOS data from the config.plist. So if you have a similar system you need to add your own SMBIOS data before using this EFI.

The system is currently running Ventura 13.5.2, as that was the version of macOS Ventura I had on my USB installation drive I used.
I will update it to run the latest Ventura 13.7.4 and create a second APFS Container, so I can run Sonoma on the system too.
This is why the EFI currently contains 2 x Airportitlwm.kext's as one is for Ventura and the other for Sonoma.
Great!

Could you please provide detailed steps for creating SSDT for our specific hardware and USBMap.kext?

I've been following various blogs and videos but encountered some difficulties along the way.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

Danish297

AMD OS X Member
Which specific hardware?
Which OS are you using to create the SSDT’s, Windows or macOS?

Here is a guide I wrote over at Tonymacx86, for this specific task.

The procedure I outlined in the guide is how I generate the SSDTs for all my Hack’s.
Thanks @Edhawk

I followed your instructions and successfully generated .aml files for options (1, 2, 4, 5, and 9) from the SSDTTime menu, along with using the USBToolBox tool for USB mapping. Can you please validate my EFI folder and review the attached screenshots?

Here are the hardware details:
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 3950x (16 Cores)
  • MoBo: Gigabyte AORUS MASTER X570
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair
  • GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5500XT
  • HDD: NVMe WD Blue SN570
  • BIOS: F37
  • Bootloader: OpenCore 0.9.8
I have a few questions regarding the process you mentioned:
1. Will this method work for AMD CPUs as well?
2. When selecting option 5 (Plugin Type), I received the message "No valid processor devices found." Is this something I should be concerned about or can it be ignored?
3. Did I correctly choose the options (1, 2, 4, 5, and 9)? Please let me know if I missed any options or included unnecessary ones.

Note: After successfully booting my Hackintosh, I reran SSDTTime and didn't see anything for option 1. Is this okay, considering my system is correctly configured?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    35 MB · Views: 1
  • SSDTTime-1.png
    SSDTTime-1.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 7
  • SSDTTime-2.png
    SSDTTime-2.png
    65 KB · Views: 4
  • SSDTTime-4.png
    SSDTTime-4.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 3
  • SSDTTime-5.png
    SSDTTime-5.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 3
  • SSDTTime-8.png
    SSDTTime-8.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 3
  • SSDTTime-9.png
    SSDTTime-9.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 10

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Answers:
  1. Yes, using Corpnewt's SSDTTime works for AMD systems.
  2. All this means is your Processor has a different or is missing the expected CPU naming convention in the system DSDT.aml.
    1. My ASUS X570-F system with Ryzen 9 3900X was the same, so this OC setup lacks an SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml table.
    2. The Processor options are in SSDT-2.am & SSDT-4.aml for my X570-F system, so using the DSDT.aml table wouldn't/didn't show the Processor device.
    3. Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 19.58.16.png SSDT-2.aml Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 20.00.42.png SSDT-4.aml
    4. It may be necessary to create an SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml table manually, if you find the CPU power management is not functioning correctly.
    5. SSDT-4.aml table looks as though it deals with CPU Power Management on my X570-F system. Yours may be similar, but not necessarily SSDT-4.aml.
  3. Normally I would say you don't need the SSDT-Bridge table, option 9.
    1. I would usually include option A (SSDT-XOSI.aml table), along with Options 1, 2, 4 & 5.

Last edited:

Danish297

AMD OS X Member
Answers:
  1. Yes, using Corpnewt's SSDTTime works for AMD systems.
  2. All this means is your Processor has a different or is missing the expected CPU naming convention in the system DSDT.aml.
    1. My ASUS X570-F system with Ryzen 9 3900X was the same, so this OC setup lacks an SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml table.
    2. The Processor options are in SSDT-2.am & SSDT-4.aml for my X570-F system, so using the DSDT.aml table wouldn't/didn't show the Processor device.
    3. View attachment 13478 SSDT-2.aml View attachment 13479 SSDT-4.aml
    4. It may be necessary to create an SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml table manually, if you find the CPU power management is not functioning correctly.
    5. SSDT-4.aml table looks as though it deals with CPU Power Management on my X570-F system. Yours may be similar, but not necessarily SSDT-4.aml.
  3. Normally I would say you don't need the SSDT-Bridge table, option 9.
    1. I would usually include option A (SSDT-XOSI.aml table), along with Options 1, 2, 4 & 5.
Thnx. I recreated my EFI.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.