AMD FX CPU macOS Sonoma Black Screen Problem

Hyuna_4443

AMD OS X Member
Hello, Everyone.

I am using Hackintosh on an AMD FX system.

AMD Vanilla Kernel was used, and AVX2.0 was patched with OCLP to obtain normal graphics acceleration.

However, they have not yet fixed the bug where the login screen does not appear when first booting and only a black screen flashes.

Skipping login and going to the desktop solves the problem, but if I lock the screen or use sleep mode, WindowServer or LoginWindow crashes immediately.

To fix this bug, I tried switching to Clover Bootloader, switching Legacy/UEFI, turning off CSM, deleting WhateverGreen, using Framebuffer (iriri, Kamarang), and using RadeonDelnit (Clover), but it did not work.

One unusual thing is that if acceleration is disabled with the '-amd_no_dgpu_accel' boot option, both login and lock functions work normally, and in macOS Big Sur and lower, all functions work normally with the same EFI.

macOS Monterey, which does not require AVX 2.0, has the same symptoms, and Ventura also has the same symptoms.

Can't solve this problem?

I am listing my specs and EFI for your reference.

Specs :

CPU : AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor
M/B : Crosshair V Formula-Z
GPU : AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Do you have an XFX graphics card?

If yes, these are known to have suspect VBios that needs to be flashed with a ‘Reference’ bios to fix issues between the OS and GPU.

Was the GPU bought new or second hand?

If second hand then it may not have a normal bios, it may have a Mining bios, that again needs to be flashed with a reference bios.

Hyuna_4443

AMD OS X Member
Do you have an XFX graphics card?

If yes, these are known to have suspect VBios that needs to be flashed with a ‘Reference’ bios to fix issues between the OS and GPU.

Was the GPU bought new or second hand?

If second hand then it may not have a normal bios, it may have a Mining bios, that again needs to be flashed with a reference bios.
I understand that the Vega FE graphics card only produces reference designs.

The card I have now has no markings from any other company other than AMD, and is probably produced by AMD.

I bought it used last time and flashed several VBIOS downloads from TechPowerUP, but it didn't solve the problem.

In addition, I have also used Sapphire R9 390 (GPU-Spoof) and Gigabyte RX580, but since the same symptoms appear, it is assumed to be a Hackintosh problem.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK, first thing I would recommend is replacing FakeSMC.kext with VirtualSMC.kext. VirtualSMC.kext is an 'Essential' kext for any AMD Vanilla Hack.

I would also remove the numerous sensor kexts you have in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist. You do not need all of these sensor kexts, and most work with VirtualSMC.kext as well as FakeSMC.kext.

I would change your Kexts folder as follows:

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 00.11.03.png current kexts folder contents

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 00.11.49.png revised kexts folder contents

Removing these unessential Sensor kexts and using VirtualSMC.kext v1.3.2 might help get you past this issue.

The SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table you are using is a generic ACPI table. You would be better served creating custom SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml using Corpnewt's SSDTTime script (either in Windows or Linux) with your system DSDT.aml table.

Select the Green coloured button named 'Code' to download the zipped folder.

At the least I would change the SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table for the SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml table, so you are only using AMD compatible options.

You have a lot of unnecessary Tools in the /EFI/OC/Tools folder, you will never need or use most of these Tools. I would recommend reducing the number of tools in this folder as follows:

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 00.17.29.png Current Tools folder contents

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 00.18.14.png revised Tools folder contents

Your Drivers folder has a few unusual entries.
  1. Your ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard has a UEFI BIOS, so you shouldn't be using the LegacyHfsPlus.efi driver. You should be using the HfsPlus.efi driver.
  2. I have never seen anyone else have the FirmwareSettingsEntry.efi driver in thier Old FX systems OC setup. I would remove this driver.
  3. You are missing an essential driver - ResetNvramEntry.efi. This driver is essential because it needs to be used after each and every change to the OC folder contents and or config.plist.
Your Drivers folder should be setup as follows:

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 00.34.31.png current Drivers folder contents

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 00.35.56.png revised Drivers folder contents

So overall your OpenCore EFI folder would change as follows:

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 00.39.38.png current OC EFI folder contents

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 00.38.07.png revised OC EFI folder contents

With all the corresponding changes made to your config.plist.

I have cleaned up your config.plist, as well as making the changes listed above.

Give it a try and see if this revised EFI folder helps.

I am assuming that you have set your bios to follow the Dortania guide. If in doubt check the following:

Attachments

• EFI-v1.zip
    13.2 MB · Views: 1

Hyuna_4443

AMD OS X Member
OK, first thing I would recommend is replacing FakeSMC.kext with VirtualSMC.kext. VirtualSMC.kext is an 'Essential' kext for any AMD Vanilla Hack.

I would also remove the numerous sensor kexts you have in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist. You do not need all of these sensor kexts, and most work with VirtualSMC.kext as well as FakeSMC.kext.

I would change your Kexts folder as follows:

View attachment 14273 current kexts folder contents

View attachment 14274 revised kexts folder contents

Removing these unessential Sensor kexts and using VirtualSMC.kext v1.3.2 might help get you past this issue.

The SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table you are using is a generic ACPI table. You would be better served creating custom SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml using Corpnewt's SSDTTime script (either in Windows or Linux) with your system DSDT.aml table.

Select the Green coloured button named 'Code' to download the zipped folder.

At the least I would change the SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table for the SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml table, so you are only using AMD compatible options.

You have a lot of unnecessary Tools in the /EFI/OC/Tools folder, you will never need or use most of these Tools. I would recommend reducing the number of tools in this folder as follows:

View attachment 14275 Current Tools folder contents

View attachment 14276 revised Tools folder contents

Your Drivers folder has a few unusual entries.
  1. Your ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard has a UEFI BIOS, so you shouldn't be using the LegacyHfsPlus.efi driver. You should be using the HfsPlus.efi driver.
  2. I have never seen anyone else have the FirmwareSettingsEntry.efi driver in thier Old FX systems OC setup. I would remove this driver.
  3. You are missing an essential driver - ResetNvramEntry.efi. This driver is essential because it needs to be used after each and every change to the OC folder contents and or config.plist.
Your Drivers folder should be setup as follows:

View attachment 14277 current Drivers folder contents

View attachment 14278 revised Drivers folder contents

So overall your OpenCore EFI folder would change as follows:

View attachment 14279 current OC EFI folder contents

View attachment 14280 revised OC EFI folder contents

With all the corresponding changes made to your config.plist.

I have cleaned up your config.plist, as well as making the changes listed above.

Give it a try and see if this revised EFI folder helps.

I am assuming that you have set your bios to follow the Dortania guide. If in doubt check the following:

thank you!

I tried applying the efi folder you provided, but the same symptom still appears.

The reason for using Hfspluslegacy instead of HFSPlus is because it go to a black screen when booting the OC.

I understand that this is due to the lack of RDRAND instructions in the FX processor.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
That's not correct, as I used HfsPlus.efi with both my FX systems.

See this success story as an example.

I would recommend checking your Bios options are correctly configured to run macOS.

Hyuna_4443

AMD OS X Member
That's not correct, as I used HfsPlus.efi with both my FX systems.

See this success story as an example.

I would recommend checking your Bios options are correctly configured to run macOS.
After reading the linked post, I looked into the EFI folder and checked the BIOS.

Instead of HFSPlus, there is OpenHFSPlus, so I applied it and it booted successfully, but the black screen problem still persists.

One thing that was different about the BIOS collation process was that there was no option to turn Serial Port off or on.

I guess it's probably the difference between Sabertooth and Crosshair.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK just to be clear. OpenHfsPlus.efi was Acidanthera's attempt to fix the fact that they can't include HfsPlus.efi in their OpenCore release. As it has a separate licence that prohibits the inclusion of the driver in their OC release folder.

HfsPlus.efi is the better driver and should be used in preference to OpenHfsPlus.efi.

Your motherboard doesn't appear to have a Serial/COM Port, according to the User Manual. So don't worry about not finding it in the bios.

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 21.31.21.png Motherboard internal connectors/layout

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 21.31.30.png Motherboard connectors list.

How are you connecting the Hack to your display/TV, DisplayPort or HDMI?
Are you using an adapter cable or other graphics adapter, such as HDMI to VGA, or something similar?

The best option is to use DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from Hack to display.
Next best would be HDMI to HDMI.

Use of a graphics adapter is a field strewn with issues.

Hyuna_4443

AMD OS X Member
OK just to be clear. OpenHfsPlus.efi was Acidanthera's attempt to fix the fact that they can't include HfsPlus.efi in their OpenCore release. As it has a separate licence that prohibits the inclusion of the driver in their OC release folder.

HfsPlus.efi is the better driver and should be used in preference to OpenHfsPlus.efi.

Your motherboard doesn't appear to have a Serial/COM Port, according to the User Manual. So don't worry about not finding it in the bios.

View attachment 14297 Motherboard internal connectors/layout

View attachment 14298 Motherboard connectors list.

How are you connecting the Hack to your display/TV, DisplayPort or HDMI?
Are you using an adapter cable or other graphics adapter, such as HDMI to VGA, or something similar?

The best option is to use DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from Hack to display.
Next best would be HDMI to HDMI.

Use of a graphics adapter is a field strewn with issues.
OK. I made several attempts to use HFSPlus.efi, but ultimately failed. It would be great if I could use HFSPlus, but for now I think I have no choice but to use OpenHFSPlus or HFSPlusLegacy.

I am using a Hackintosh connected to a 4K monitor using a DP cable.

I am not using a separate adapter, and the same goes for HDMI.

The Vega FE's three DP ports and one HDMI port all have the same symptom, and my i7-2600K Hackintosh works properly in the same environment, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware or environment problem.

In addition, while looking through various posts on this forum, I saw many posts complaining of the same symptoms in the FX processor.

It may be a graphics-related issue, but we also cannot rule out the possibility of an FX compatibility issue with the AMD Kernel Patch or a conflict with macOS' power management.

I'm doing a little more research on this as well.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The problems that started surfacing in Monterey and later in Ventura was part of the reason I retired my FX system. These systems while fairly robust and still capable of running Windows or Linux really well, are simply too old for the newer releases of macOS, in my opinion.

Hyuna_4443

AMD OS X Member
The problems that started surfacing in Monterey and later in Ventura was part of the reason I retired my FX system. These systems while fairly robust and still capable of running Windows or Linux really well, are simply too old for the newer releases of macOS, in my opinion.
It is unfortunate that the main cause of the error seems to have been the fact that AMD designed the Bulldozer differently in order to differentiate it from Intel in several ways.

I like the FX system and want to continue using it, so I've been trying various things for nearly a year, but it's really difficult.

I want to give up, but seeing success stories like this post makes me want to keep trying.

Anyway, thank you very much for the reply. It was very helpful.

If you have any good thoughts, please share them.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You may be better served installing Catalina or Big Sur, as these older macOS releases are less problematic with the FX series. You can then work your way forward to Monterey or newer if you choose, having the Catalina disk to fall back on should you bork your upgrade to a newer OS.

If you install Catalina make sure you set the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries to allow the older APFS to be recognised and used.

Do not use ‘-1’. Use the correct date and version entries for Catalina in your config.plist.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.