A320I-K - Ryzen 5 4600G - AMD Radeon Graphics boot issue

craighazan

Donator
Donator
It was fun for a couple then this started happening, bluetoothhd seems to be the culprit. Ventura 13.4.1 recently updated from 13.3. Booting OpenCore 0.9.3 with NootedRed.Kext. After this section is just repeats without booting Ventura.

198B61D2-8E55-487C-B652-D121EC633553.jpeg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
There are a number of entries in the verbose text above regarding breaking of the APFS Seal, retrying different Snapshots and each of them failing. From this I assume the APFS structure on your macOS drive is corrupt.

You may need to clean install Ventura 13.3 and wait before updating to 13.4.1 or newer. Or update the system on another drive, not your primary macOS drive. Pity CCC doesn't work the same as it used to, as creating a Clone was so much easier before Catalina was released.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
There are a number of entries in the verbose text above regarding breaking of the APFS Seal, retrying different Snapshots and each of them failing. From this I assume the APFS structure on your macOS drive is corrupt.

You may need to clean install Ventura 13.3 and wait before updating to 13.4.1 or newer. Or update the system on another drive, not your primary macOS drive. Pity CCC doesn't work the same as it used to, as creating a Clone was so much easier before Catalina was released.
I think a clean install from my other AMD build will be the answer. I read that installing with NootedRed causes issues. And even though updating normally through system settings worked for a bit, issues became quickly apparent during boot.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
All fixed, I replaced the EFI with a fresh copy and we're back to Ventura 13.4.1 on Radeon Graphics from the 4600G!.

Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 2.06.44 AM.png

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Something else I noticed, on the first successful boot into Ventura, in display settings I had a choice between 75 MHz or 60 MHz for screen refresh. Now I only have the option of 60 MHz or 50 MHz.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
It may be that your display can provide a higher refresh rate than the macOS default for your system, which is set at 60MHz. The higher refresh rate 75MHz may only be available when you select a different resolution from the System Settings > Displays preference pane.

Example screenshots of the Display settings in Ventura for my dual Dell display setup.

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 17.57.10.png Default resolutions shown

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 17.57.22.png 'Show all resolutions' slider selected.

Select the option slider to 'Show All Resolutions' and see if the Refresh Rate option provides a higher refresh rate, when a different resolution is selected.

Which display are you you using with this system? How is it connected?

craighazan

Donator
Donator
It’s a
It may be that your display can provide a higher refresh rate than the macOS default for your system, which is set at 60MHz. The higher refresh rate 75MHz may only be available when you select a different resolution from the System Settings > Displays preference pane.

Example screenshots of the Display settings in Ventura for my dual Dell display setup.

View attachment 11308 Default resolutions shown

View attachment 11309 'Show all resolutions' slider selected.

Select the option slider to 'Show All Resolutions' and see if the Refresh Rate option provides a higher refresh rate, when a different resolution is selected.

Which display are you you using with this system? How is it connected?
It’s a 27” hpf, connected via a DP to hdmi cable, I should try my 27” Dell which has DP and a higher refresh rate

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You could switch displays, but the likeliest issue will be the DP to HDMI cable. That might restrict the refresh rate to 60 MHz, no matter what the display can provide.

Using the Dell and a DP to DP cable might give you the higher refresh rate, with the appropriate resolution.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
You could switch displays, but the likeliest issue will be the DP to HDMI cable. That might restrict the refresh rate to 60 MHz, no matter what the display can provide.

Using the Dell and a DP to DP cable might give you the higher refresh rate, with the appropriate resolution.
So this is interesting, I switched monitors and plugged in a DP to DP cable, booted up. After verbose the display lost signal and went to sleep!. Plugged in the DP to HDMI into the other monitor and macOS woke up. Next I tried a HDMI to HDMI cable and the 75 MHz option returned!.
Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.36.47 AM.png

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
So maybe the 75 MHz option is only available through your HDMI connector on the display? At least you now know how to activate this option.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.