a doubt about GPU performance in Ventura 13.3

arlysohn

AMD OS X Member
Good afternoon/evening gentlemen

I did an installation of mac OS Ventura on my hardware just for studies and testing of the operating system
the basic seems to work well, video, audio, internet LAN.
I see that the System identifies my GPU RX 480 but it seems that the system is not able to use the hardware acceleration, maybe I'm wrong.

I did a test by installing a steam game called Dota2 that uses the Vulkan api

comparative:
in Windows I can leave the game with all settings at the maximum in 1080p resolution the game has an average of 100 to 120 fps

On MacOS the game opens relatively faster than on Windows, however when the game starts the game does not exceed 30 fps, and there are a lot of screen freezes.

I know that macOS is not focused on games but I just made a comparison since MacOS should run the game not so bad.

I changed all the game's settings to the lowest resolution and so the game ran at 55-66 fps with a lot of crashes at random moments of the game.

my doubt is: maybe I have to configure something in my EFI to carry out the current activation of the RX 480?

my setup is :

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
16 GM RAM DDR4
GPU RX 480 4GB
MB ASUS B450M PRIME GAMING

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You shouldn't need any extra entries in your config.plist for your RX 480 dGPU to work.

All you should need is Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, the latter will take care of the graphics cards needs in macOS.

If you have already added any 'fixes' to your EFI, I would recommend removing them, get back to a basic setup regarding your Graphic card.

arlysohn

AMD OS X Member
You shouldn't need any extra entries in your config.plist for your RX 480 dGPU to work.

All you should need is Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, the latter will take care of the graphics cards needs in macOS.

If you have already added any 'fixes' to your EFI, I would recommend removing them, get back to a basic setup regarding your Graphic card.
good night @Edhawk when I get home I will go to the tests and pass on information, thank you my friend

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Check if you have the fix PAT patch from Shaneee enabled (and Algrey's disabled).

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@long08 Your RX 550 2GB card is likely to be using the Lexa GPU chip, which is unsupported in macOS.

Even if you get the Lexa card to work in macOS, performance is going to be pants. As it is a low end card faking the device id for a supported and slightly better provisioned GPU.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@long08 Your RX 550 2GB card is likely to be using the Lexa GPU chip, which is unsupported in macOS.

Even if you get the Lexa card to work in macOS, performance is going to be pants. As it is a low end card faking the device id for a supported and slightly better provisioned GPU.
Lexa GPUs are fully supported with spoofing and should have similar performance to Windows/Linux.

long08

AMD OS X Member
@long08 Thẻ RX 550 2GB của bạn có thể đang sử dụng chip GPU Lexa không được hỗ trợ trong macOS.

Ngay cả khi bạn làm cho thẻ Lexa hoạt động trong macOS, thì hiệu suất sẽ rất cao. Vì đây là thẻ cấp thấp giả mạo id thiết bị cho GPU được hỗ trợ và được cung cấp tốt hơn một chút.
my card is laxe and i faked the id to work but when i play the game lol my card runs no more than 50%

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
my card is laxe and i faked the id to work but when i play the game lol my card runs no more than 50%
Can you send your plist?

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I switched the patch to shaneee and the perf are better with Monterey on open CL (much better) and metal (little), but under W10 i noticed a step back on Open CL. On macOs, i use only Metal, and the improvement don't really change anything because it already operates at respectable level, but when it comes to work on video editing on the stable W10 i do really need solid perf too. Anybody can give me his opinon on this ?

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
Open core should be set to NOT apply any patching for booting into windows.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
may be it's the w10 updates from december or the new bios

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.