Solved 13.6.4 Immediate Kernel Panic after Booting (3700X, RX5700XT, B550)

Nomlas-Aki

AMD OS X Member
The setup:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X @ 3.6 GHz
Mother Board: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX, Wi-Fi card replaced with BCM94360NG
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC
RAM: Crucial Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) RAM DDR4-3200
Boot Drive: WD Black SN750 500GB Nvme SSD

My setup and OC configuration work just fine on the latest Big Sur release (11.7.10), and I've been using it for a while. but since a lot of the apps are dropping support for macOS 11 (particularly final cut and adobe CC), I decided to update to Ventura. I made sure to update OC and all my kexts to the latest version too. The installer booted up and worked just fine, but after it booted and begun the setup assistant, the system will panic and shut down in about a minute. When I check the log, every time the error messages look a different than the last (sometimes its about windowserver, sometimes finder, and other times about APFS/AMD drivers, etc) Here's all the stuff I tried so far:
  • Getting a new SSD. I used to have a samsung 970evo, but since it doesn't particularly play well w/ macOS due to the TRIM implementation, so I bought one from WD instead
  • Resetting BIOS
  • memtest (passed twice without issues)
  • Wiping everything and perfoming a clean install
  • Mapping USB ports using USBToolBox
None of these helped with the issue.

On another note, when Monterey came out, I attempted installing it on my setup and it had similar problem (booting in the login screen just fine but crashes in a minute or so)

Here's a screenshot of the EFI folder and the newest kernel panic log. I've been troubleshooting this for days but have yet made any progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT 1: Uploaded the entire EFI folder as requested

Attachments

• 2024-02-06_18.58.50.jpg
    2024-02-06_18.58.50.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Kernel-2024-02-06-185505.panic.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 3
  • EFI.zip
    12.9 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You
The setup:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X @ 3.6 GHz
Mother Board: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX, Wi-Fi card replaced with BCM94360NG
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC
RAM: Crucial Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) RAM DDR4-3200
Boot Drive: WD Black SN750 500GB Nvme SSD

My setup and OC configuration work just fine on the latest Big Sur release (11.7.10), and I've been using it for a while. but since a lot of the apps are dropping support for macOS 11 (particularly final cut and adobe CC), I decided to update to Ventura. I made sure to update OC and all my kexts to the latest version too. The installer booted up and worked just fine, but after it booted and begun the setup assistant, the system will panic and shut down in about a minute. When I check the log, every time the error messages look a different than the last (sometimes its about windowserver, sometimes finder, and other times about APFS/AMD drivers, etc) Here's all the stuff I tried so far:
  • Getting a new SSD. I used to have a samsung 970evo, but since it doesn't particularly play well w/ macOS due to the TRIM implementation, so I bought one from WD instead
  • Resetting BIOS
  • memtest (passed twice without issues)
  • Wiping everything and perfoming a clean install
  • Mapping USB ports using USBToolBox
None of these helped with the issue.

On another note, when Monterey came out, I attempted installing it on my setup and it had similar problem (booting in the login screen just fine but crashes in a minute or so)

Here's a screenshot of the EFI folder and the newest kernel panic log. I've been troubleshooting this for days but have yet made any progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You really should zip and upload your entire EFI without serial numbers for help.

Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Thanks, I suspect you may have forgotten you need to update to Airportitlwm.kext to the OS specific version. Each flavor of macOS requires you to change to the appropriate version of the kext if it is enabled. See attached link. I also see your bluetooth kexts are wrong, more information is also available in the same place but on a different page. This kext is called out in your config.plist and should not be needed. AirportBrcmFixup.kext
Your Ethernet solution is also dated and can also be causing the panic. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-i225-v-internet-fix-and-appleigc-kext-boot-error.327609/

Last edited:

Nomlas-Aki

AMD OS X Member
Thanks, I suspect you may have forgotten you need to update to Airportitlwm.kext to the OS specific version. Each flavor of macOS requires you to change to the appropriate version of the kext if it is enabled. See attached link. I also see your bluetooth kexts are wrong, more information is also available in the same place but on a different page. This kext is called out in your config.plist and should not be needed. AirportBrcmFixup.kext
Your Ethernet solution is also dated and can also be causing the panic. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-i225-v-internet-fix-and-appleigc-kext-boot-error.327609/

In regards to the wifi/bluetooth kexts - I don't think the kexts for intel cards are applicable for me because I replaced the wireless card with a broadcom one as I stated in my spec list.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
In regards to the wifi/bluetooth kexts - I don't think the kexts for intel cards are applicable for me because I replaced the wireless card with a broadcom one as I stated in my spec list.
Sorry, missed that but then I can say you don't need any of the four kexts you have enabled that are for intel cards....AirportBrcmFixup, BlueToolFixup, BrcmFirmwareData, BrcmPatchRAM3 should all be deleted and removed from your config.plist. The card you have is natively supported up to Ventura, in Sonoma wireless will not work unless you undertake a number of other steps using OCLP.

The panic you are having is from how you are trying to enable your Intel i225V onboard ethernet, had the same issue once upon a time.

Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Did you figure it out?

Last edited:

Nomlas-Aki

AMD OS X Member
Did you figure it out?
Was busy yesterday but yes, I figured it out finally.
I disabled the ethernet card completely in BIOS and it stopped crashing, so your comment on the i225V causing the issue was correct.
After reading about this particular issue and some trial and error, I injected AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext and added e1000=0 in my boot args and ethernet is working perfectly now.
That’s kind of a messed up issue tho, there is no mention about apple dropping i225V support in monterey+ in the dortania guide so I would’ve never known about this.
Thanks for the help!

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Was busy yesterday but yes, I figured it out finally.
I disabled the ethernet card completely in BIOS and it stopped crashing, so your comment on the i225V causing the issue was correct.
After reading about this particular issue and some trial and error, I injected AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext and added e1000=0 in my boot args and ethernet is working perfectly now.
That’s kind of a messed up issue tho, there is no mention about apple dropping i225V support in monterey+ in the dortania guide so I would’ve never known about this.
Thanks for the help!
That's great, there are a lot of things the guide doesn't cover or in some cases wrong. Some issues are talked about here but it can be tough to find. Same on other Hackintosh sites.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.