Ventura on a Firebat MN56 mini PC (Ryzen 5 5600H)

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
(will also work with Sonoma 14.4, but without WLAN support)

I could not resist and ordered one of those €250 mini PCs with a Ryzen 5 5600H on my favourite Chinese trading platform. It seems that there are a lot of similar systems with different names and 5500U / 5600H / 5700U processors, and I think you can adapt this EFI with minimal effort. After some experimenting I ended up with Ventura for greater compatibility and stability.
After replacing the WLAN card with an Intel AX200 everything runs smoothly including bluetooth. So far I could not find any issues.

Here is a short guide (more of a checklist) for the experienced user on how to install Ventura on the Firebat MN56 Mini PC.

1.) Prerequisites​

Make sure you have:

2.) Know your hardware​

My Firebat MN56 has
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H, 6 Core, 12 Treads
  • Motherboard: something chinese that does not even have a name
  • RAM: Micron MTA16ATF1G64AZ-3G2A1 16 GB 1Rx16 PC4-3200AA-SC0-11
  • iGPU: [AMD/ATI] Lucienne (rev c1)
  • NVMe: PHISON PS5015-E15 PCIe3 512 GB
  • LAN: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
  • WiFi/BT: RTL8852BE PCIe 802.11ax Wireless Network Controller
  • Audio: [AMD/ATI] Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller
  • Connectivity: 2 x HDMI, 4 x USB 3.1, 1 x USB C
There is no kext available for the RTL8852BE at this time, so I have replaced it with a cheap Intel AX200 card.

3.) Install Windows and create a backup copy​

Windows 11 Professional was pre-installed. I could activate it without problems and installed all updates. There have been reports of cases where malware was already installed by the manufacturer, so I did a offline virus check with two different antivirus rescue CDs. The system was clean and I made a backup of the hard disk for later use.

4.) Create SSDT files under Windows with SSDTTime​

• Install Python and SSDTTime.
  • Start with "(P) Dump the current system's ACPI tables". Then choose the following options one after the other:
  • 1. FixHPET - choose default option C to patch IRQ conflicts
  • 2. FakeEC
  • 4. USBX - choose default option B to build SSDT-USBX
  • 5. PluginType
  • 8. USB Reset
Copy the "Results" folder to a USB stick for later use.

5.) Set BIOS Options​

Boot into BIOS (F7) and set:
  • Advanced > Trusted Computing > Security Device Support: [Disabled]
  • Advanced > CPU Configuration > SVM Mode: [Enabled]
  • Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > IOMMU: [Disabled]
  • Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > GFX Configuration > IGPU Configuration: [UMA Specified}
  • Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > GFX Configuration > UMA Frame Buffer Size: [2G] (or more if you have enough RAM)
  • Security > Secure Boot: [Disabled]
  • Boot > Fast Boot: [Disabled]
Save and Exit with F4

6.) Prepare the USB Boot Stick​

• Attach USB Stick to your Mac (or Mac VM)
  • Start Disk Utility, set "View" to "Show All Devices", click on the USB Stick and on "Erase".
  • Set "Name:" to "Ventura". Set "Format" to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", set "Scheme" to "GUID Partition Map" and click the Erase button.
  • Use "gibMacOS" to download the macOS Ventura InstallAssistant.pkg
  • Start InstallAssistant.pkg. It will create "Install macOS Ventura" in the Applications folder.
  • Open a Terminal window and enter the command:
Bash:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Ventura /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app --nointeraction

This will copy the system files to the USB stick. To make the stick bootable, we need to...

Last edited:

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member

7.) Prepare the EFI partition​

• Use the MountEFI tool to mount the hidden EFI partition on your "Install macOS Ventura" USB drive. The empty EFI partition will appear on the desktop.
  • Download OpenCore. There is a folder "X64" inside which contains the folder "EFI". Copy the entire "EFI" folder to the "EFI" partition of your USB stick.
  • Copy "Sample.plist" from the OpenCore/Docs folder to the USB stick/EFI/OC folder and rename it to "config.plist"

8.) Clean up the EFI partition​

Delete everything from EFI/OC/Drivers except these:
  • AudioDxe.efi
  • OpenCanopy.efi
  • OpenRuntime.efi
  • ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • ToggleSipEntry.efi

9.) Add Drivers and Kernel Extensions for our hardware​

Copy to EFI/OC/Drivers:
  • HfsPlus.efi
Copy to EFI/OC/Kexts:
  • Lilu.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • SMCAMDProcessor.kext
  • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • NVMeFix.kext
  • NootedRed.kext
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext
  • AppleALC.kext
  • USBToolBox.kext
  • UTBDefault.kext
  • AirportItlwm.kext (from the itwlm package)
  • IntelBTPatcher.kext
  • IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
  • BlueToolFixup.kext ( from the BrcmPatchRam package)
Copy to EFI/ACPI:

Copy all the SSDT-*.aml files from the "Results" folder which we created under 4.)
  • SSDT-EC.aml
  • SSDT-HPET.aml
  • SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml
  • SSDT-USB-Reset.aml
  • SSDT-USBX.aml

10.) Prepare the config.plist​

• Open your USB Stick/EFI/OC/config.plist in ProperTree
  • Start with a "OC clean snapshot" and choose the EFI/OC folder on your USB Stick
  • Set Booter > Quirks: EnableWriteUnprotector = False
  • Set Booter > Quirks: RebuildAppleMemoryMap = True
  • Set Booter > Quirks: SyncRuntimePermissions = True
  • DeviceProperties > Add: remove all "PciRoot" entries
  • Apply the kernel patch to enable macOS on AMD Processors:
    • Remove the section "Kernel > Patch" from config.plist
    • Open patches.plist as secondary file
    • Copy the "Patch" section from patches.plist to config.plist > Root > Kernel
  • Set the number of your processors:
    • Find all four patches with "algrey | Force cpuid_cores_per_package" and modify the "Replace" value.
      Change the second byte (the "00" after "B8" or "BA") to the physical core count of your CPU in hexadecimal.
      Our Ryzen 5 5600H has 6 cores, so the new replace values should read "B80600...." or "BA0600....".
  • Set Kernel > Quirks > PanicNoKextDump = True
  • Set Kernel > Quirks > PowerTimeoutKernelPanic = True
  • Set Kernel > Quirks > ProvideCurrentCpuInfo = True
  • Set Kernel > Quirks > SetupVirtualMap = False
  • Set Misc > Debug > AppleDebug = True
  • Set Misc > Debug > ApplePanic = True
  • Set Misc > Debug > DisableWatchDog = True
  • Set Misc > Debug > Target = 67
  • Set Misc > Security > AllowSetDefault = True
  • Set Misc > Security > BlacklistAppleUpdate = True
  • Set Misc > Security > ScanPolicy = 0
  • Set Misc > Security > SecureBootModel = Default
  • Set Misc > Security > Vault = Optional
  • Set NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82] > boot-args = -v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1
  • Set NVRAM > Add > prev-lang:kbd = 656e2d55533a30
    (= "en-US:0" in hex code)

Create the SMBIOS info

Save and close your config.plist.
Start GenSMBIOS and select 1. Install/Update MacSerial
Then 2. Select your config.plist
Now 3. Generate SMBIOS, enter "iMac20,1 1"
Now 4. Generate UUID and
Q. Quit

Open your config.plist in ProperTree again and go to PlatformInfo > Generic.

Important: Check the serial number on Apple's Check Coverage Page and make sure that your serial number does not exist elsewhere in the world. Enter your system serial number, solve the captcha and press send. If you see a complaint about an invalid serial, you're good. Otherwise you need to create a new serial.

Now save your config.plist and quit ProperTree. Eject the EFI volume and the install volume of your USB stick. Attach the stick to your Mini PC and...

11.) Boot your Mini PC with the installer USB stick​

Press F7 for boot override and select your USB stick. Select 2.) Install
If you can't see the USB stick as a boot device, then there is something wrong with the EFI partition - go back to step 7.)

You will see a lot of text scrolling and there are several long pauses, as if the installer has crashed. But be patient and just wait until the boot menu appears.

12.) Format your NVMe drive​

Start Disk Utility and set "View" to "Show all devices". Identify your NVMe (something like "PCIe SSD Media") and erase it. Set "Name" to "SysVol" or whatever you like, "Format" = "APFS" and "Schema" = "GUID Partition Map".

13.) Install macOS​

Close Disk Utility and start the installer. Choose your newly formatted drive and start the install process.
The installation process will take up to 45 minutes. During this time, there are a few moments when the screen will go dark for several minutes and the system appears to hang. There will also occur several reboots. Just be patient and wait. Do not stare at the screen. Leave the room and come back in an hour :)

14.) Copy your EFI​

Use MountEFI on your brand new Ryzentosh to mount both EFI partitions from your NVMe and from your USB stick. Copy the EFI folder from inside the USB stick EFI to the empty EFI partition of your NVMe. Your Ryzentosh is now able to boot on its own.

15.) Follow Post-Install instructions​

See: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/ and pick what you need.

Attachments

• FirebatMN56_EFI.zip
    30.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

craighazan

Donator
Donator
'Our Ryzen 5 5600H has 8 cores, so the new replace values should read "B80800...." or "BA0800....".'

I'm fairly certain that the Ryzen 5 5600U has six cores, and the above part should read "B80600...." or "BA0600....".'

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
'Our Ryzen 5 5600H has 8 cores, so the new replace values should read "B80800...." or "BA0800....".'

I'm fairly certain that the Ryzen 5 5600U has six cores, and the above part should read "B80600...." or "BA0600....".'

Yes of course you are right, probably wishful thinking on my side... I will correct it asap. Somehow the second part of my post disappeared, so I will have to post it again.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Yes of course you are right, probably wishful thinking on my side... I will correct it asap. Somehow the second part of my post disappeared, so I will have to post it again.

You had deleted the post. I've restored it for you and changed it to 6 cores for you :)

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Something that doesn't get mentioned much that's part of SMBIOS is PlatformInfo > Generic > ProcessorType. For a 6 core processor and less the value is 1537, and for an 8 core processor and more the value is 3841.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Sorry I got confused with my 5600H/U in my previous post. But upon checking I did learn about the differences between the ‘U’ and ‘H’ of the 5600, the H has a lower TDP, (better for the planet), and the U can be configured up to 54W.

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
Something that doesn't get mentioned much that's part of SMBIOS is PlatformInfo > Generic > ProcessorType. For a 6 core processor and less the value is 1537, and for an 8 core processor and more the value is 3841.
Thank you for the hint - with 6 cores set and "1537"as the processor type, the processor will now show as "1,8 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5" instead as "1,8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W".
I had left it at the default value "0" for "automatic detection". After reading numerous guides, I'm still not sure if the setting is important or just cosmetic.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Thank you for the hint - with 6 cores set and "1537"as the processor type, the processor will now show as "1,8 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5" instead as "1,8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W".
I had left it at the default value "0" for "automatic detection". After reading numerous guides, I'm still not sure if the setting is important or just cosmetic.
I’m pretty sure it’s cosmetic, it will help with showing the correct processor in the ‘About This Mac’ window. Great write up btw, these mini ryzens make awesome hacks, just a shame there isn’t much information out there about motherboards etc.

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
Here is a korean review of the exact same device in the exact same packaging but with a different brand name. Only the sticker on the back is slightly different. An ID number is printed on the tested mainboard, my mainboard also has the same number: "RC-D E522514". This leads to a "Guangzhou Rui Cheng Electronic Technology Co., Ltd." as the manufacturer.
My chipset is identified as "AMD Promontory/Bixby FCH" by HWiNFO 7.0.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
I’ve been looking through AMDs motherboard partner program, I can’t find the specific motherboard that GenMachine uses. But ASRock has quite a presence in this sector.

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
Do you try it on a mini PC with (roughly) the same hardware as the Firebat MN56? If not, please post your hardware specs.

sezamyslov

AMD OS X Member
I use the Firebat MN56 configuration. AMD Ryzen 5 5600H. The only difference is 32 Gb RAM and maybe the ssd m2 is different.

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
There are issues with some NVMe drives, especially Samsung, Micron and Hynix. I also have replaced the RTL8852BE WLAN card with an Intel AX200 card. You could try without the AirportItlwm, IntelBTPatcher, IntelBluetoothFirmware and BlueToolFixup.kext. And finally you may want to double check the BIOS settings. If that doesn't work, we need advice from the experts here.

sezamyslov

AMD OS X Member
There are issues with some NVMe drives, especially Samsung, Micron and Hynix. I also have replaced the RTL8852BE WLAN card with an Intel AX200 card. You could try without the AirportItlwm, IntelBTPatcher, IntelBluetoothFirmware and BlueToolFixup.kext. And finally you may want to double check the BIOS settings. If that doesn't work, we need advice from the experts here.
Thank you. I tried the kext AirportItlwm, IntelBTPatcher, IntelBluetoothFirmware and BlueToolFixup.kext in config.plist and switch the enabled line to "false" (is this enough to disable it?). I also checked the BIOS settings again.
It's still no result.
UPD: I try another M2 NVMe and that also has no result.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Which M.2 drives have you tried? Provide make and model identification for the two drives.

Post a copy of your current EFI folder so we can see what you are using.

I would also recommend you provide a copy of the system DSDT.aml, so we can see if the ACPI tables you are using are correct for your system. Using someone else's EFI can bring all sorts of issue to the fore, that weren't issues for the original user/creator.

These are the bios settings you need to adapt in order to run macOS.

AMD BIOS Settings
  • Note: Some of these options may not be present in your firmware, we recommend matching up as closely as possible but don't be too concerned if many of these options are not available in your BIOS
Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • Compatibility Support Module (CSM) (Must be off in most cases, GPU errors/stalls like gIO are common when this option is enabled)
  • IOMMU
Enable
  • Above 4G Decoding (This must be on, if you can't find the option then add npci=0x3000 to boot-args. Do not have both this option and npci enabled at the same time.)
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode (some motherboards may require "Other OS" instead)
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

sezamyslov

AMD OS X Member
Which M.2 drives have you tried? Provide make and model identification for the two drives.

Post a copy of your current EFI folder so we can see what you are using.

I would also recommend you provide a copy of the system DSDT.aml, so we can see if the ACPI tables you are using are correct for your system. Using someone else's EFI can bring all sorts of issue to the fore, that weren't issues for the original user/creator.

These are the bios settings you need to adapt in order to run macOS.

AMD BIOS Settings
  • Note: Some of these options may not be present in your firmware, we recommend matching up as closely as possible but don't be too concerned if many of these options are not available in your BIOS
Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • Compatibility Support Module (CSM) (Must be off in most cases, GPU errors/stalls like gIO are common when this option is enabled)
  • IOMMU
Enable
  • Above 4G Decoding (This must be on, if you can't find the option then add npci=0x3000 to boot-args. Do not have both this option and npci enabled at the same time.)
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode (some motherboards may require "Other OS" instead)
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

1) M2 NVMe - model ID "NV900-512" PCI Vendor ID 126Fh (Silicon Motion) - supplied with MINI PC
2) Installed "Apacer M.2 AP512GAS2280P4" instead
3) Installed "HP SSD FX900 Plus M.2 1TB" instead

I check the BIOS settings and changed from the available settings:
Advanced > Trusted Computing > Security Device Support: [Disabled]
Advanced > CPU Configuration > SVM Mode: [Enabled]
Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > IOMMU: [Disabled]
Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > GFX Configuration > IGPU Configuration: [UMA Specified}
Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > GFX Configuration > UMA Frame Buffer Size: [16G]
Security > Secure Boot: [Disabled]
Boot > Fast Boot: [Disabled]

Copy EFI и DSDT.aml

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
This is strange. I prepared a boot stick with your EFI, and it boots up just fine to the installer menu on my device. I also tried it with a "do not ever use these" Samsung 980 installed, also no problem booting to the install menu.
You could replace the OpenCore files with the "debug" version and hope that they will display a more meaningful error message.
Your DSDT.aml only differs from mine by three bytes:
Code:
G:\Temp>fc /b myDSDT.aml yourDSDT.aml
Comparing files myDSDT.aml and yourDSDT.aml
00000009: E0 72
00000699: 18 98
0000069A: BF AD
The only thing I could think of is some issue with the BIOS, or something is wrong with the USB stick - you could try a different brand.
My BIOS version is 2.22.1284, Date: 09/11/2023 11:05:27 Ver: D6D01022

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.