GenMachine Ren5000

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Ren5000.jpg
Allow me to introduce you to possibly the smallest AMD Ryzentosh you can build, the GenMachine Ren5000, measuring just 114x106x3.75mm you could literally stick it in your pocket!. Thanks to the team at ChefKissInc and their delightful NootedRed.kext, AMD mini PCs have become a viable and surprisingly powerful option for the Hackintosh community. Following @leesurone s success with the Trigkey, I decided to get one myself for a Nintendo GameCube case mod that I'm working on. I eventually decided on the Ren5000 after finding that these come bare-bone, and the prices are extremely good. I paid $229 from Newegg for the 5700U version, but AliExpress currently has it on sale for $207 with free shipping.

For something so small it certainly packs a punch!, it's incredibly efficient, the 1.8GHz base will jump to 4.3GHz when needed, the aluminum shell looks very good and reminds me of the Mac mini, just much, much smaller.

I have to say thanks to @Edhawk and @Leesureone for helping me on this build, without their help with the EFI I probably would have sent it back. But I'm so glad I didn't, this build is very surprising.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 3.06.45 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 3.35.04 PM.png
Installation is straightforward, though the BIOS settings will seem unfamiliar but the standard OpenCore suggestions will be there, just be prepared to search for them. After some initial head scratching I settled on the following;

Advanced > Trusted Computing > Security Device Support > Disable
AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > IOMMU > Disabled
GFX Configuration > IGPU Configuration > UMA Specified
UMA Frame Buffer Size > 16G
Security > Secure Boot > Disabled
Secure Boot Mode > Custom
Boot > Fast Boot > Disabled

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 10.55.28 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    35 MB · Views: 31

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Nice little build there. Does it have Vesa mounts on the bottom like the Intel NUCs had? Would be cool to strap it to a monitor for LAN events etc if it could handle AAA games outside of the Hackintosh ( Dual Boot of course ).

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Thanks @Shaneee there is a mount included in the box so it could easily be fixed behind a monitor. The Ren comes with 2 x M.2 slots inside so it could dual boot easily, one is standard size the other slot looks shorter, I'm using a KingSpec NVMe with Sonoma installed in the first slot. I'm not sure about Triple AAA titles in High settings, but I have been playing DIRT Rally in macOS and the average frame rate is about 45 FPS.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Updated to 14.3 without any issues. I used Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 2.20.21 PM.pngboot-arg revpatch=cpuname,pci,sbvmm, didn’t have to disable bluetoolfixup, first time that’s happened!.

craighazan

Donator
Donator

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Tôi cũng có GenMachine Ren5000 5600h. Tôi sẽ thử nó sớm. Cảm ơn!
Làm tốt lắm. Tôi khuyên bạn nên cài đặt Ventura trước, nó ổn định hơn Sonoma. hãy cho chúng tôi biết bạn lấy như thế nào

craighazan

Donator
Donator
My EFI is for an eight core APU, yours is six core. Take a look at this guide.

long08

AMD OS X Member

thanks very much

long08

AMD OS X Member

I followed the instructions above and it stopped here

long08

AMD OS X Member
I followed the instructions above and it stopped here

Attachments

• FEF95C81-77AD-4074-9193-BDB4720B1977.jpeg
    FEF95C81-77AD-4074-9193-BDB4720B1977.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

craighazan

Donator
Donator
That’s good, OpenCore has loaded, you just need to select which OS you want to load. Use the arrow keys and hit return.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Does the External drive contain a macOS installer, or a macOS installation? As I would expect the External drive to have a different name if it was an installer.

Post a copy of the whole OpenCore EFI you are using.
Post a copy of the Firebat's system DSDT.aml. Use Corpnewt's SSDTTime script to dump the ACPI table in Windows.

long08

AMD OS X Member
Does the External drive contain a macOS installer, or a macOS installation? As I would expect the External drive to have a different name if it was an installer.

Post a copy of the whole OpenCore EFI you are using.
Post a copy of the Firebat's system DSDT.aml. Use Corpnewt's SSDTTime script to dump the ACPI table in Windows.
That’s good, OpenCore has loaded, you just need to select which OS you want to load. Use the arrow keys and hit return.
Can you two help me check to see if I'm wrong or if I'm wrong somewhere?
Thanks !

Attachments

• EFI.7z
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Results.7z
    58 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-04-29 211306.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 211306.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-04-29 211330.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 211330.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@long08

I have reviewed your EFI and Results folder and would comment as follows:
  1. Your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder is missing AppleMCReporterDisabler.kext. Your system won't boot without this kext.
  2. You don't need these two AMD Sensor kexts for installation to work, they are as likely to cause issues when using NootedRed.kext as they are to resolve any.
    1. AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
    2. SMCAMDProcessor.kext
  3. The USBToolBox.kext and UTBDefault.kext will do nothing helpful for your system. Personally I would delete them both and just enable the XhciPortLimit Quirk in the config.plist.
    1. In order for USBToolBox.kext to work, you need to create a custom UTBMap.kext (in Windows), which contains the discovered and active USB ports.
    2. The UTBDefault.kext is used while configuring your USB ports, it isn't a working USB configuration.
  4. Your /EFI/OC/Resources folder is empty, bar some holding folders.
    1. You should use a populated Resources folder so you aren't restricted to the OC (Text) Picker List boot screen.
The rest of the EFI content looks OK.

Config.Plist:
  1. You have failed to add the 5 x ACPI patches that were created when you used Corpnewt's SSDTTime script, i.e. the HPET patches are missing.
    1. The SSDT-HPET.aml table will not work without the patches.
  2. You have not enabled the DummyPowerManagement entry, which is required for AMD CPU's.
  3. I have enabled the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry, as your previous USB configuration was pants.
  4. I have changed the Misc > Boot > LauncherOption from Disabled to Full, so an OpenCore entry appears in your Bios Boot list.
  5. I have deleted the Serial > Custom section, as your Mini PC doesn't contain a Serial Port.
  6. I don't know if you have changed your bios, so you have Above 4G Decoding enabled.
    1. As this is an unknown factor, I have added the 'npci=0x300' boot argument to your config.plist, as without one or the other your system won't boot.
  7. I have cleaned up the config.plist, removing a number of unused entries, so the config is easier to read and navigate.
Try this revised EFI see if this gets you any further. All you need to do is rename the EFI-v1 folder as EFI.

Before booting the macOS installer, make sure you use the ResetNvram driver from the OpenCore boot screen. You will need to press the spacebar to unhide the drivers in your OC setup, then select the driver. The system will reboot automatically and at the same time remove any old NVRAM entries, so your system just boots with the new settings in the revised EFI attached.

Attachments

• EFI-v1.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 1

long08

AMD OS X Member
image.jpg
@long08

I have reviewed your EFI and Results folder and would comment as follows:
  1. Your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder is missing AppleMCReporterDisabler.kext. Your system won't boot without this kext.
  2. You don't need these two AMD Sensor kexts for installation to work, they are as likely to cause issues when using NootedRed.kext as they are to resolve any.
    1. AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
    2. SMCAMDProcessor.kext
  3. The USBToolBox.kext and UTBDefault.kext will do nothing helpful for your system. Personally I would delete them both and just enable the XhciPortLimit Quirk in the config.plist.
    1. In order for USBToolBox.kext to work, you need to create a custom UTBMap.kext (in Windows), which contains the discovered and active USB ports.
    2. The UTBDefault.kext is used while configuring your USB ports, it isn't a working USB configuration.
  4. Your /EFI/OC/Resources folder is empty, bar some holding folders.
    1. You should use a populated Resources folder so you aren't restricted to the OC (Text) Picker List boot screen.
The rest of the EFI content looks OK.

Config.Plist:
  1. You have failed to add the 5 x ACPI patches that were created when you used Corpnewt's SSDTTime script, i.e. the HPET patches are missing.
    1. The SSDT-HPET.aml table will not work without the patches.
  2. You have not enabled the DummyPowerManagement entry, which is required for AMD CPU's.
  3. I have enabled the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry, as your previous USB configuration was pants.
  4. I have changed the Misc > Boot > LauncherOption from Disabled to Full, so an OpenCore entry appears in your Bios Boot list.
  5. I have deleted the Serial > Custom section, as your Mini PC doesn't contain a Serial Port.
  6. I don't know if you have changed your bios, so you have Above 4G Decoding enabled.
    1. As this is an unknown factor, I have added the 'npci=0x300' boot argument to your config.plist, as without one or the other your system won't boot.
  7. I have cleaned up the config.plist, removing a number of unused entries, so the config is easier to read and navigate.
Try this revised EFI see if this gets you any further. All you need to do is rename the EFI-v1 folder as EFI.

Before booting the macOS installer, make sure you use the ResetNvram driver from the OpenCore boot screen. You will need to press the spacebar to unhide the drivers in your OC setup, then select the driver. The system will reboot automatically and at the same time remove any old NVRAM entries, so your system just boots with the new settings in the revised EFI attached.
image.jpgThank you so much, it worked. I will save your analysis, it is very useful

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Good job @long08 I'm glad it worked out for you.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
What do I need to edit to be able to go to sonoma
  • You need to disable or remove the WiFi & Bluetooth kexts and set SecureBootModel to ‘Disabled’ not ‘Default’ in your config.plist.
  • Run the Sonoma update.
  • Then revert the changes you made in your config.plist for the Sonoma 14.4.1 upgrade.
  • Make sure you use the latest Intel WiFi and Bluetooth kexts with Sonoma 14.4 or newer.
Advice courtesy of @Edhawk.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.