Solved GC-Titan Ridge for X570 Aorus Master Rev 1.1 Mobo Help

zamfir1235

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

I have a mac mini and a hackintosh and i want to connect them via thunderbolt bridge to get 40GB/s. The hackintosh acts as my file server/Workstation. This basically acts like my storage server instead of getting a TB4 enclosure with limited storage capacity. currently i m using 10Gb/s network Card. But things are getting a bit slow when doing file transfers and loading image/videos. Hence the upgrade to the thunderbolt to get maximum bandwidth between my mini and hackintosh.

My hack specs
Mobo: Aorus Master X570 Rev 1.1(confirmed by checking for THB_C header on the mobo)
CPU : 5950x
RAM:64 GB
GPU: 6800 XT
MacOS: Ventura 13.2

Is it possible if i get the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 card, i can connect them via thunderbolt bridge to get 40Gb/s bandwidth?.

Also do i need to flash the Titan ridge card?. Can it work with my mobo(plug and play).

Thanks.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Windows yes, but definitely not PnP in macOS, no matter which PC motherboard you are using.

You may want to have a search for an AMD system using a Titan Ridge TB add-on card, to see what was required. The minimum requirement is usually flashing the card, well it is with an Intel Hack.

zamfir1235

AMD OS X Member
Ok so i understand that to make the TR card work with macOS we need to flash it.

zamfir1235

AMD OS X Member
OK!

So i finally got the TR 2.0 Card and installed after having firmware flashed.

Setup the SSDT and added to EFI.

Got the thunderbolt birdge working.

Now the mac mini and hackpro are connected via thunderbolt bridge.

I have a Viper Nvme SSD. I Tested the speed of this on a NVME enclosure(ZikeDrive). I was getting Read/Write speeds of about 3800/4000 MB/s.

But when i put the Viper Nvme SSD in my hackpro.

Now i expected to get the same speeds over Thunderbolt. But i m getting only 700-800 MB/s. Which means its around 10GBe Speeds.

Anyone tell me why this speed is slow.

The TR Card is installed on a pcie gen 4 X4 slot.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Check your Motherboard manual. See if the PCIe x4 slot speed is set at x1 or x2 by the bios. Your motherboard might be sharing the PCIe lanes available to this slot with a M.2 or SATA connector that is also in use.

zamfir1235

AMD OS X Member
I got some help on the discord and it turns out max speed you can get it around 14-20 Gbits/s. Which is correct because i tested the TB bridge between my mac mini and mac book pro.

This issue is resolved now and closed.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I got some help on the discord and it turns out max speed you can get it around 14-20 Gbits/s. Which is correct because i tested the TB bridge between my mac mini and mac book pro.

This issue is resolved now and closed.
Can we have some details about this turnaround ?

zamfir1235

AMD OS X Member
Can we have some details about this turnaround ?
I made the mistake of installing the card on x8/x16 slot.

Gigabyte clearly mentioned that the card has to be installed on x4 slot from the manual.

Once installed on the x4 slot. I got the correct ACPI path and creating the SSDT was easy after that.

I tested the speed using black magic and i was getting on average around 1000 MB/s. Also made sure the X4 slot speed was set to gen 3 since the TR card max speed is PCIE 3.0. If set to Auto , the speeds can vary.

But then tested with iperf and got speeds around 14 Gbits/s on the hackintosh.

Now i wanted to make sure i was getting the max speed from the card. So i tested the TB speed between a m2 mac mini and m2 macbook with the apple TB4 cable. The speeds were slightly better around 18-20 Gbits/s.

So the card is performing at around 70-80% of the speeds compared to a mac-mac TB connection. This is the best i could get from the card. But 1000 MB/s is still decent speed. This is probably because in a hackintosh accessing a nvme disk has to go through the chipset and the TR card. my chipset is a x570. I m sure on the lastest chipets be it intel/AMD, the speed will be faster. The chipset on the TR card also matters. The TR is TB3 certified. The new Maple Ridge is TB4 certified. so one can expect higher speed with the lastest AMD Chipset and MR Card combined.

Best thing to do is to simply get a TB4 enclosure and put in the the nvme SSDs. you will easily get speed over 4000 MB/s. That is more than enough for storage.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Last edited:

zamfir1235

AMD OS X Member
What do you of this new TB4 card ? is it good for ryzentosh ?
It doesn't say TB anywhere and is not TB certified. So no idea if it will even get detected in macOS. USB4 is not the same as TB4.

Besides there are TB4 cards out there, the Maple Ridge. So why even bother with USB4 cards.

Someone will have to try it and report.

Marcellus

AMD OS X Member
Check your Motherboard manual. See if the PCIe x4 slot speed is set at x1 or x2 by the bios. Your motherboard might be sharing the PCIe lanes available to this slot with a M.2 or SATA connector that is also in use.
It is very important to examine your motherboard handbook to guarantee proper PCIe slot configuration. Check the BIOS settings for any potential channel sharing with M.2 or SATA connections, which could affect PCIe speed.Magic 8 ball online

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.