HOW TO SOLVE: Animated static static sand when trying on Installation boot-loader screen "only" on CATALINA, BIG SUR, MONTEREY

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator

So I can see a pattern problem when hackntoshing laptops with Radeon Graphics cards.

Things are usually ok on intel IGPUs, and that is the majority of the bulk of the community.

However laptops with dedicated AMD are more rare since the majority of laptops hav nvidia. And many of Radeon cards don't have mux switch or aren't models compatible with Mac Os

Obseveration:

All of the laptops with the compatible GPU's have the same exact problem. They can install up to Mojave with no problems at all. The list of laptops are below:

1. Acer Predator Helios 500: Ryzen 7 2700, Vega 56, B450 Motherboard

2. HP Omen 17: Intel 7700HQ, RX 580 8GB

3. Asus ROG Strix GL702zc: Ryzen 7 1700, RX 580 4GB, B350 Motherboard

All of this laptops successfully install up to Mojave, with full Graphics acceleration.

Problems started with CATALINA 10.15

All of the installation started when Apple released Catalina. All of these laptop listed above showed the same issue. The installer is fine up to Mojave. The Os'es having problems are listed below:

1. Catalina

2.Big Sur

3. Monterey

Every single one of the laptops had issues with the last 3 OS releases. The problem shows as animate static sand instead of the installer page. Technically they all reach the installer page, but it wont graphically the menu.

I have connected external monitors to no avail, it just shows the grey color installation backdrop.

My perspective

Clearly Apple made some sort of overhaul starting Catalina, which it would make sense since is the starting point to an only 64bit OS. What I do not understand is why the compatible cards like the RX580 and the Vega can not properly render the installer page, but it works fine on High Sierra and Mojave.

Currently all of them are on Mojave and they work great.

I know laptops with compatible Radeon cards are very minimal when compared to intel IGPUs which is what most use for Hackintosh. But if anyone have some experience to solve this issue to solve the rendering issue on the installation page would be super

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    46.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Middleman

So I can see a pattern problem when hackntoshing laptops with Radeon Graphics cards.

Things are usually ok on intel IGPUs, and that is the majority of the bulk of the community.

However laptops with dedicated AMD are more rare since the majority of laptops hav nvidia. And many of Radeon cards don't have mux switch or aren't models compatible with Mac Os

Obseveration:

All of the laptops with the compatible GPU's have the same exact problem. They can install up to Mojave with no problems at all. The list of laptops are below:

1. Acer Predator Helios 500: Ryzen 7 2700, Vega 56, B450 Motherboard

2. HP Omen 17: Intel 7700HQ, RX 580 8GB

3. Asus ROG Strix GL702zc: Ryzen 7 1700, RX 580 4GB, B350 Motherboard

All of this laptops successfully install up to Mojave, with full Graphics acceleration.

Problems started with CATALINA 10.15

All of the installation started when Apple released Catalina. All of these laptop listed above showed the same issue. The installer is fine up to Mojave. The Os'es having problems are listed below:

1. Catalina

2.Big Sur

3. Monterey

Every single one of the laptops had issues with the last 3 OS releases. The problem shows as animate static sand instead of the installer page. Technically they all reach the installer page, but it wont graphically the menu.

I have connected external monitors to no avail, it just shows the grey color installation backdrop.

My perspective

Clearly Apple made some sort of overhaul starting Catalina, which it would make sense since is the starting point to an only 64bit OS. What I do not understand is why the compatible cards like the RX580 and the Vega can not properly render the installer page, but it works fine on High Sierra and Mojave.

Currently all of them are on Mojave and they work great.

I know laptops with compatible Radeon cards are very minimal when compared to intel IGPUs which is what most use for Hackintosh. But if anyone have some experience to solve this issue to solve the rendering issue on the installation page would be super
Okay. Let me try to explain this. In my experience the static page issue is caused by any number of things but primarily it is to do with the device and framebuffer settings and how the system works with that. However the static page isn't just a problem occurring on AMD machines but also Intel ones. I've recently experienced the same static page issue on a Z590 build that I have with a RX6600 card installed. If the settings are wrong or if the system has bad memory, mismatched RAM or poorly configured settings in BIOS/poor custom firmware installed it happens. It also occurs during system transitions to sleep, when the card reaches low power or if not enough power is going to the card.

For this Dortania has posted a guide on how to solve the issue which is posted under Fixing Sleep > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/sleep.html. The fix involves first disabling a number of sleep and hibernation functions in Terminal before moving onto the config.plist and BIOS settings. For DGPU users like ourselves we are going to need the CFG,CFG_USE_AGDC fix under device properties as well as forceRenderStandby=0 under the boot-arg. For Intel chip users they will also need igfxonln=1 and check that their IGPU settings are correct under the OC guides.

Aside from the issue of bad memory regions (which Dortania has also outlined in the guide under Fixing RTC, which involves isolating the bad portion of memory via a boot-arg) there is the also the fairly frequent issue of just simply bad GPUs as well as condition of working environment. Manufacturing defects for GPUs are less common these days because of the improved manufacturing processes and tolerances used, but it can still happen. Cards being transported from factories to warehouses often get flown or shipped these days from country to country so it's not surprising a bit of jostle here and there during the process can unseat the chips. Humidity is also a possible cause for electronic gear failing especially for Asian or Middle-East, Mediterraneans or sub-tropic areas, and can also happen for gear travelling by sea to their ports of destination. Despite being in a container and placed into non-static bags with silica gel, GPUs are exposed to seawater air as they travel so theoretically it could/can have some effect on the quality of the equipment. So in this instance it may also be a good practice to try to keep equipment areas dry and if possible run air con or dehumidifiers to solve the issue. Humidity levels ideally need to be below 50% or less for most for best operation.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
Okay. Let me try to explain this. In my experience the static page issue is caused by any number of things but primarily it is to do with the device and framebuffer settings and how the system works with that. However the static page isn't just a problem occurring on AMD machines but also Intel ones. I've recently experienced the same static page issue on a Z590 build that I have with a RX6600 card installed. If the settings are wrong or if the system has bad memory, mismatched RAM or poorly configured settings in BIOS/poor custom firmware installed it happens. It also occurs during system transitions to sleep, when the card reaches low power or if not enough power is going to the card.

For this Dortania has posted a guide on how to solve the issue which is posted under Fixing Sleep > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/sleep.html. The fix involves first disabling a number of sleep and hibernation functions in Terminal before moving onto the config.plist and BIOS settings. For DGPU users like ourselves we are going to need the CFG,CFG_USE_AGDC fix under device properties as well as forceRenderStandby=0 under the boot-arg. For Intel chip users they will also need igfxonln=1 and check that their IGPU settings are correct under the OC guides.

Aside from the issue of bad memory regions (which Dortania has also outlined in the guide under Fixing RTC, which involves isolating the bad portion of memory via a boot-arg) there is the also the fairly frequent issue of just simply bad GPUs as well as condition of working environment. Manufacturing defects for GPUs are less common these days because of the improved manufacturing processes and tolerances used, but it can still happen. Cards being transported from factories to warehouses often get flown or shipped these days from country to country so it's not surprising a bit of jostle here and there during the process can unseat the chips. Humidity is also a possible cause for electronic gear failing especially for Asian or Middle-East, Mediterraneans or sub-tropic areas, and can also happen for gear travelling by sea to their ports of destination. Despite being in a container and placed into non-static bags with silica gel, GPUs are exposed to seawater air as they travel so theoretically it could/can have some effect on the quality of the equipment. So in this instance it may also be a good practice to try to keep equipment areas dry and if possible run air con or dehumidifiers to solve the issue. Humidity levels ideally need to be below 50% or less for most for best operation.
Thanks. The GPUs have perfectly functional, not likely to be the issue. I will give at your try from your other thread and this when i have some free time. Thanks man!(y)

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator

Here is an example of what I am talking about👇👇👇

Top Bottom