fojerhar

AMD OS X Member
Hi
My specs are:
Asrock Taichi TRX40 mobo
Threadripper 3970X (amazing)
32GB RAM
RX580

First of all, I have a properly working Catalina system with this setup (99 percent, the only issue if I shut down the system the computer restarts itself 80 percent of the cases, sometimes shuts down)

So I continued my workin efi from Catalina to modify to Monterey.

First issue, it was not clean for me to use the new and patches next to the old ones, or I should only use the new ones. I found 2-3 identical patches, so the logic was to only use the new ones. And also this was working.
I always stuck during installation with the ssd update process, could not trick it even with different smbioses. So installed the first step trough Catalina to the new SSD and I could boot into this partition, and monterey started.
Issues: I use OC 7.7. If I boot with the monterey efi I cannot see my Catalina ssd, only the new nvme. In monterey I cannot see any internal or usb drives, only the boot partition.
In system info/SATA I see my drives, but not in finder or in disk utility (pic attached)

My boot time is extremely long 6-8 minutes. As I booted with the -v flag, I saw it spends a lot of time with usb things 240sec timeouts 2 times followed. In this point if I removed usb units I saw the system reactions.

2.5G ethernet is working fine, with wifi I can connect, bluetooth maybe not working, but HDD issue is more important first to solve.

I would like to update to monterey to swap my video card to a 6800Xt -windows gaming reasons-(6700xt would be better and cheaper, but there are no drivers for that).
The best would be make working the rdna2 under Catalina, but I know.......

I use it for audio works. I have UAD what is used with firewire in Catalina, but the UAD thrower the firewire support in bigsur.... :( connection B would be thunderbolt, but this board is not capable for that.
BUT now I got a gigabyte alpine ridge card, and at the first boot I saw my connected THB drive to it under catalina, rebooted and it is gone. It is not working under windows, but for one startup it was working, really strange.

Monterey: I use SMBIOS iMacpro1.1. Catalina super, here monterey my CPU speedster is not working cpu goes only 3.7Ghz. If I change to iMac19.3 or earlier, speedstep is fine goes from 2.8-4.3Ghz.
Connected to this case: strange, if I boot to Catalina from external usb efi drive, speedster never works, only if I boot from the nvme. And also not working if I restart from windows, have to shut down the computer

Unsupported kexts: I tried to load the UAD firewire kext in the boot efi/kexts, but had no luck. It is not that easy to change values in the kext plist, and the system will allow to lad the old kexts? Maybe I m too naive in this era :), because would be nice to keep using the firewire

NVRAM: with this motherboard I could not have native nvram, had to use the fake file method, I don't know if I was doing something wrong

Whole EFI partition is attached.

Any help would be nice, I m just a sound engineer, not a programmer, but I love this monster for audio work :)
thank you
Viktor

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 15.25.29.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 15.25.29.png
    421.3 KB · Views: 5
  • EFI monterey.zip
    39.6 MB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.