Upgrade / install macOS Sonoma - Unable to boot error EB (The EFI works fine for Ventura)

jubarim

AMD OS X Member
Hi all!

I have this build working fine for macOS Ventura (using the latest version 13.6.5)
  • Gigabyte B650M Aorus PRO AX (rev. 1.0) - bios F22b
  • AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-core 24-thread processor
  • TBD Radeon RX 6xxx GPU ( I had to return the 6800XT because it was crashing in games and rebooting in 3dmark spy test)
  • 32GB Kingston 5600MHz CL40 DDR5 with AMD EXPO support and RGB that NEVER EVER turns off in sleep, this is killing me) (2 x 16GB modules)
  • Fenvi 919 PCI-Express Wifi/BT module
My OpenCore was updated to 0.9.9 with no issues.

The BIOS was updated to F22b.

I wanted to install Sonoma because most of the times I put my hack to sleep, it shuts down and it drives me crazy. I don't want to leave the pc always on when I'm not using it.

The problem is: the attached EFI boots successfully Ventura (and Ventura Install Disk) won't boot Sonoma at all - even after adding the boot arg

revpatch=sbvmm (Kext Restrict Events).

I also changed:

Misc -> Security -> SecureBootModel: ‘Disabled’

The issue is this one, it happens in the start of the open core boot:

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 19.28.28.png

The BIOS is probably correctly set (as it works fine for Ventura):
  • Fast Boot - Disabled
  • Secure Boot - Disabled
  • Serial/COM Port - Disabled
  • Parallel Port - Not available in BIOS
  • Compatibility Support Module (CSM) - Disabled
  • IOMMU - Disabled
  • Above 4G Decoding - Enabled
  • XHCI - Enabled
  • OS type: OtherOS (Standard)
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
  • ReSize BAR: Enabled(ON)

I already tried all these methods:
  • Generate a full install pendrive from a intel mac (dortania guide)
  • Generate a online install pendrive (dortania guide)
  • Upgrade my current ventura install

Every methods results in the same initial boot error...

Any help is highly appreciated :)

Update: As Edhawk pointed out a few posts bellow, a was using old AMD Kernel Patches in your config.plist... I updated them to the latest one following dortania guide and it booted correctly into Sonoma installer :-D

Attached you can find my EFI for my setup, with Open Core Legacy Patcher patches applied (as I have the Fenvi wifi/bt board): EFI_oc099_ver32_sonoma_working_OLP1.4.3.zip

Attachments

• config.plist
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
  • EFI_oc099_ver30.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 1
  • EFI_oc099_ver32_sonoma_working_OLP1.4.3.zip
    12.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try setting SecureBootModel as ‘Disabled’ instead of ‘Default’ in your config.plist, see if that gets you over this issue.

jubarim

AMD OS X Member
Try setting SecureBootModel as ‘Disabled’ instead of ‘Default’ in your config.plist, see if that gets you over this issue.

Oh I forgot to mention that I did that as well, as one of the first things I tried...

jubarim

AMD OS X Member
As this BIOS I'm using supports the new AM5 Ryzen 8000 CPUs... I think this thread must be related:

But I have no idea on how to create a DSDT for my motherboard...

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
As this BIOS I'm using supports the new AM5 Ryzen 8000 CPUs... I think this thread must be related:

But I have no idea on how to create a DSDT for my motherboard...
Then what about downgrading the bios using flash back?

jubarim

AMD OS X Member
Then what about downgrading the bios using flash back?
I will try that, thanks. Not sure how to downgrade a bios, but I will search info about it.

Is there a tutorial that might help in creating these patches? In the future I may need to use a newer BIOS.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I will try that, thanks. Not sure how to downgrade a bios, but I will search info about it.

Is there a tutorial that might help in creating these patches? In the future I may need to use a newer BIOS.
Information on how to use the Flashback port will be in the online manual or search Google for for information. It varies by manufacturer, as far as creating an SSDT there were a couple of posts here I'll see if I can find.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

El'Xsanori Leo

AMD OS X Member
Hello. This may be connected: today I've tried to update my OC from 0.9.6 to 1.0.0 (currently I'm on Sonoma 14.1.1) and got a kernel panic. I can't actually catch the error because of the new OC GUI glitch (it's not in FullHD and it's showing only random lines), but at least the colors look the same as on your screenshot. I am totally sure I've done everything right, but anyways I am still trying to debug this tricky software...

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need to update the AMD Kernel Patches in your config.plist. You are using some old patches, only contains 20 x patches, the current Sonoma supporting patches contains 22 x patches.

The highest version of macOS your patches support is Ventura (MaxKernel = 22.99.99). There are no patches enabling Sonoma to run (MaxKernel = 23.99.99).

jubarim

AMD OS X Member
You need to update the AMD Kernel Patches in your config.plist. You are using some old patches, only contains 20 x patches, the current Sonoma supporting patches contains 22 x patches.

The highest version of macOS your patches support is Ventura (MaxKernel = 22.99.99). There are no patches enabling Sonoma to run (MaxKernel = 23.99.99).

That was it Edhawk!! Thanks a lot for your help... I have totally forgot about the basics in the EFI generation.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.