TRIGKEY Mini PC 8 Core 16 Ryzen 7 5800H

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I’ve read a few success stories, both here and at Tonymacx86, taking advantage of recent developments in Nootedred.kext which enable AMD iGPU powered builds. This little guy uses the same CPU as several of the laptop builds posted here. It seemed because of that there was at least a good chance I could get OSX installed on it.

It was a little difficult to verify the internal hardware it came with, the description of Amazon was missing information and the Trigkey website is also not very clear. I wasn’t sure how WIFI/ Bluetooth was supported and there was no information on the type of Nvme SSD it came with. Both of those choices could have been an issue trying to get a successful build.

Fortunately it turned out it comes with an Intel AX210 M2 Slot powered WIFI/ Bluetooth card which is easy to access and can be changed to a Broadcom card if desired. I left the intel card installed.

The Nvme SSD is a P3P500SSD8 which other users have stated works fine with OSX, an added bonus is it also comes with an unpopulated SATA slot for 2.5 inch HDD. I took advantage of that and installed Windows 10 on it to help further identify hardware and use SSDDTTime.

It also comes with an HDMI and DP video outputs instead of the two HDMI ports listed. The bios is fairly robust but most settings do not need to be adjusted. I had the best success disabling Nootored.kext during the install progress and then once complete turning it back on. HDMI output also was the best choice to complete installation although Display Port will work afterwards.

The one bios adjustment is how much onboard RAM you want to dedicate to video. That setting is under Advanced/AMD CBS/ NDIO Common Options/ GFX Configuration.

The EFI uploaded works in Ventura and will support Sonoma or Monterey if you change the version of the Airportitlwm.kext

Great thanks to ChefKissInc for all the work on developing Nootedred.kext, @Edhawk for some great suggestions on lookout for specific hardware and more and @craighazan for his relentless posting and support on Nootedred.kext that got me off the fence.

About.png

System.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    59.6 MB · Views: 230
Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
CL.png
Metal.png

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
Hello Friend,
If I choose a Ryzen 5 5600H, which Apple computer would you simulate?
It seems that there is no 6-core Intel CPU. :rolleyes:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hello Friend,
If I choose a Ryzen 5 5600H, which Apple computer would you simulate?
It seems that there is no 6-core Intel CPU. :rolleyes:
Hi @HKPhysicist , the system definition you choose only needs to align with the Nootedred.kext recommendations. Those are stated as MacBookPro16,3, iMac20,1 or iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.
  • MacPro7,1 might result in a black screen. (although I know of a couple users here who use it succesfully)
You can adjust the CPU core count in the Config.plist/ Kernel/ Patches section to match the six cores of a Ryzen 5 5600H

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Coffee Lake i5-8500 & i5-8600, comet lake i5-10500 & i5-10600 are all 6-core Intel systems. So iMac19,1 or iMac20,1SMBIOS would be a reasonable match for a 6-core AMD system.

Yes, I know the AMD CPU has 6-cores/12 threads, while the Intel CPU's only have 6-cores/6threads. That's why I said the two iMac SMBIOS would be a reasonable match.

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
Fortunately it turned out it comes with an Intel AX210 M2 Slot powered WIFI/ Bluetooth card which is easy to access and can be changed to a Broadcom card if desired. I left the intel card installed.
Hello Friend,
Is the wireless card in M.2 form factor or mini PCIe form factor? Is it detachable and replaceable? :unsure:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hello Friend,
Is the wireless card in M.2 form factor or mini PCIe form factor? Is it detachable and replaceable? :unsure:
M.2 form factor and replaceable as described in my first post.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have ordered a Ryzen 5 5600H mini PC already! (y):love:
The EFI folder I uploaded should work with Ventura as long as the hardware is similar and you make a couple of changes to it. At bare minimum the CPU Core counts will need to be changed from 8 to 6 and it's possible you will also need to remap your USB ports.

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
The EFI folder I uploaded should work with Ventura as long as the hardware is similar and you make a couple of changes to it. At bare minimum the CPU Core counts will need to be changed from 8 to 6 and it's possible you will also need to remap your USB ports.
Yes, I will customise my plist based on your EFI files. :D

Which plist configurator do you use? :D

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Up to you what you want to use, my preference is PlistEdit Pro

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
My preferred Plist editor is ProperTree.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
My preferred Plist editor is ProperTree.
The price is right and the config.plist building feature is nice. CorpNewt!

cornheadks

AMD OS X Member
The price is right and the config.plist building feature is nice. CorpNewt!
I was able to boot to the efi partition once and it started the Ventura install, but then It rebooted, and now will not boot to the EFI Usb, any tricks, suggestions

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I was able to boot to the efi partition once and it started the Ventura install, but then It rebooted, and now will not boot to the EFI Usb, any tricks, suggestions
On the back of the machine it tells you which key to hit to enter the boot menu. Find that and key it as it states to boot to see if the USB drive shows then. If not try a different port and it clear the NVRAM. Worst case scenario rebuild your USB drive.

cornheadks

AMD OS X Member
messages before reboot cycle

I have rebuilt the USB ventura stick, readded the EFI files, not sure why or how it worked once and started and nothing since.

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpg
    IMG_5044.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_69D941B0450C-1.jpeg
    IMG_69D941B0450C-1.jpeg
    773.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

I have rebuilt the USB ventura stick, readded the EFI files, not sure why or how it worked once and started and nothing since.
I’ll try and check these out later, can you confirm it’s the same model, CPU etc?

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Try this version, one small change

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    59.7 MB · Views: 49

cornheadks

AMD OS X Member
Thank you so much, I am able to get it to boot to the Ventura installer again,
I opened Disk Utility and formatted the Hard Drive as AFPS
Then started the Install Ventura
It gets to 17 minutes remaining and then reboots the PC which returns to the Automatic Repair screen
Am I doing one of the steps incorrectly above?

Current Build: Ventura
TRIGKEY MINI COMPUTER
Processor: Ryzen 7 5700U(4.3GHz)
Graphics : 8Core 1900GHz Radeon Card
RAM : 32GB DDR4(3200MHz)
SSD: 500G NVME SSD(3000MB/S)
WIFI/BT : WIFI 6 & Bluetooth 5.2
Power: 15W

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.