Problems with booting

FrOdO

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys.

i have no idea what i made wrong - followed the tutorial from dortania.github.

If i want to boot, i have no option to choose macOS - see pics. scanpolicy is already set to 0.

Hardware:
MSI X370 Gaming Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
PowerColor Radeon RX580 8GB
Crucial Balastix 2x8GB

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220216_192456.jpg
    IMG_20220216_192456.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220216_192509.jpg
    IMG_20220216_192509.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 12

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
MSI boards have an issue when it comes to installing macOS Monterey. This is an issue for all MSI motherboards. Have a read around the forums and you will see what I mean.

Meanwhile:
  1. Your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder is missing an essential SSDT for USB power management. SSDT-USBX.aml should be included in your ACPI folder and config.plist.
  2. You don't need SSDT-HPET.aml, SSDT-PLUG.aml or SSDT-PMC.aml as they are Intel specific SSDT tables.
  3. Have you Enabled 4G Decoding in your bios? If not you need to add the npci=0x2000 boot argument to your config.plist.
  4. You need to enable ProvideCurrentCpuInfo.
  5. You need to disable XhciPortLimit, as it doesn't work in Monterey.
Try this EFI folder see if it works any better.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 15

FrOdO

AMD OS X Member
hy edhawk,
i am really thankful for ur message.
unfortunately there is the same issue with your EFI.

Thank you so much.

Best regards

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have you tried using a different USB pen drive?

Have you tried using a different USB port (try a few)?

FrOdO

AMD OS X Member
Hi,
thank you for helping me.
I have tried everything - new USB pen drive, all USB ports - but unfortunately without success.

After that I downloaded an EFI for a similar motherboard – the msi x570 gaming plus – and see there appears another choice option.

But unfortunately, the image is freezing on the Apple sign.

The EFI and pictures are attached. Would be great if you could take a look at it for me again.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    35.9 MB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The icons shown on the OC boot screen above are from a Windows drive (middle icon); what I assume is a FAT32 partition on a pen drive (left hand icon); and the right hand icon is the ResetNvram.efi tool that comes with OpenCore. Although I am surprised it is displayed as the ResetNvram.efi tool is not present in the EFI you linked. In fact the /EFI/OC/Tools folder is not present in the EFI.

You are would need to boot the system using the left hand icon, external drive. Which I assume contains your macOS installer.

The alternative OpenCore EFI you are using is built from OC release 0.6.5 (January 2021), so it is quite old given there have been 13 or 14 additional releases since 0.6.5.
The EFI contains a few items that may not work with your setup, these include but are not limited to the following:
  1. Spoof-SSDT.aml
  2. SSDT-XHC.aml
  3. USBPorts.kext
I would remove these three items from their respective folders and also the entries for the items in the config.plist. The SSDT's may be using alternative ACPI addresses, and the USBPorts.kext will not be set for your motherboard.

The config.plist also contains a number of settings/entries that I wouldn't use with your setup.
  • It uses the Outdated AMD Kernel Patches, which contains 39 patches when the new set only use 16 patches. These lack the option to set the CPU core count correctly. They are not bad per say, but are not ideal for your setup.
  • The Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry is enabled, which is nonsense when you have a USBPorts.kext in your setup. These two will clash.
  • It lacks the ProvideCurrentCpuInfo quirk, so your CPU won't be identified correctly.
  • It lacks the npci=0x2000 boot argument, which AMD systems require if Above4G Decode is not enabled in the bios.
  • The creator of the config has been playing with the SIP (csr-active-config) and Bootercfg entries in the NVRAM section.
  • It lacks the SecureBootMode entry required for Big Sur and Monterey, probably not included in this older OC release.
I wouldn't recommend using this EFI.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
What I would recommend is this:
  1. Temporarily remove any additional drives from your system, i.e. Windows or Linux drives.
    • So you only have the drive you intend to install macOS on to and the USB installer connected when you boot the system.
    • Any Windows or Linux drives can be reconnected/installed after macOS has been installed.
  2. Make sure you have applied the Bios Settings for an AMD system to run macOS:
    • Disable​

• Fast Boot
      • Secure Boot
      • Serial/COM Port
      • Parallel Port
      • Compatibility Support Module (CSM)(Must be off, GPU errors like gIO are common when this option in enabled)
    • Enable
      • Above 4G decoding(This must be on, if you can't find the option then add npci=0x2000 to boot-args. Do not have both this option and npci enabled at the same time.)
        • If you are on a Gigabyte/Aorus or an AsRock motherboard, enabling this option may break certain drivers(ie. Ethernet) and/or boot failures on other OSes, if it does happen then disable this option and opt for npci instead
        • 2020+ BIOS Notes: When enabling Above4G, Resizable BAR Support may become an available on some X570 and newer motherboards. Please ensure that Booter -> Quirks -> ResizeAppleGpuBars is set to 0 if this is enabled.
      • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
      • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
      • SATA Mode: AHCI
  3. Revert to the EFI folder I created for your system.
  4. When you boot to the USB installer, make sure you select ClearNvram and ResetSystem tools from the OC boot screen.
    • If the tools are not visible, simply press the Spacebar and they will be unhidden.
Post a screen image of the Kernel Panic, if your system still fails to boot to the macOS installation wizard using the EFI I created.

FrOdO

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for all that information.

I am such an idiot - i didnt know tonpress the spacebar the whole time. 🙈
Now it looks better. If i press first ClearNvram -> ResetSystem -> Install dmg then there is the freezed Apple logo again.
If i press first ResetSystem -> ClearNvram -> Install dmg then i get some errors.

Thanks so much!❤️

Attachments

• 922206B4-B225-4C36-A5C1-E873B27F51B9.jpeg
    922206B4-B225-4C36-A5C1-E873B27F51B9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Were you able to set/Enable the Above 4G Decode option in your Bios?

Assuming you did find it and have Enabled the option, I have attached a revised EFI, which lacks a pair of AMD kexts and the npc=0x2000 boot argument. Try this and see if you get any further.

If you haven't already switched from Monterey, can you use a Big Sur macOS installer with this EFI folder.

Change the name of the EFI folder before you use it.

Attachments

• EFI-2.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 7

FrOdO

AMD OS X Member
👋 hi
i updated my bios - that was quite old - where i am ablento disable CSM.

now i hang on ACPI : sleep states S3 S4 S5 with the first EFI from you and MacOS Monterey.

Should i try the second EFI and Big Sur? Or is there a option to fix that?

Thx. 🙏

Attachments

• BDDAC452-B537-472F-B2B1-6B2626E8F3FC.jpeg
    BDDAC452-B537-472F-B2B1-6B2626E8F3FC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Forget Monterey for now. There is a known issue with Monterey and MSI motherboards.

Try booting and installing Big Sur.

Yes use the 2nd EFI with Big Sur.

FrOdO

AMD OS X Member
i did already. everything works fine til installation. unfortunately the computer reboot during installation.
in arround 3 minutes the system restarts. :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Does you system reboot after this image is seen?
Is there a new MacOS icon on the OC boot screen when you arrive? If you see the new MacOS icon, select it and the installation should continue.
You may have to select the MacOS icon more than once to complete the installation.

This is normal and expected.

The macOS installation can and often does appear to stop and reboot unexpectedly. This again is normal behaviour and happens with real Mac systems.
See if you can continue with the installation after such a reboot/sudden curtailment of the boot process.

Are you installing macOS Big Sur to an External Drive?

FrOdO

AMD OS X Member
no there is no icon to continue the installation. :( if do nothing the computer shut down. i tried to install big sur from usb to ssd drive which has the format afps.
should i try this efi for catalina?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, the EFI needs to be amended to work with macOS Catalina. Due to changes in the APFS drivers between Big Sur and the older versions of macOS.

UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion need to be changed in the config.plist for the EFI to work with Catalina, Mojave or High Sierra. It is currently set to work with Big Sur and Monterey.

What happens if you select the USB drive icon again after this reboot?
Does the installation continue or are you taken back to the start of the macOS Installation wizard?

FrOdO

AMD OS X Member
ok thank u. it takes me back to the installation wizard.
i have already tried, different usb ports and different usb drives.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Sorry, can you confirm if it takes you to where the installation left off or the Beginning of the installation?

When you formatted the SSD as APFS, which version of macOS did you use?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.