Solved Opencore Black screen

nightmitoza

AMD OS X Member
Hello, this is my spec:
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard : Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4
Memory : G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Memory Video Card : Gigabyte GV-R68XT-16GC-B Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card

I'm trying to install Ventura (13) which is the latest version there is, following opencore guide by unfortunately I'm running into a black screen which move too fast for me to comprehend what's going on.

I documented every single thing I did in the instruction.txt

The opencore-2023-07-23-061422.txt is the latest log file I have.

This is what happen when I boot into opencore

Screenshot_20230723_164748.png

This is what inside my OPENCORE usb stick which has 32GB of space

Attachments

• instruction.txt
    12.5 KB · Views: 6
  • opencore-2023-07-23-061422.txt
    256 KB · Views: 6

nightmitoza

AMD OS X Member
Debugging : [https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...he-error-x64-exception-type-on-amd-fx-systems]

^^ SetupVirtualMap : False
^^ DevirtualiseMmio : False
^^ EnableWriteUnprotector : False
^^ RebuildAppleMemoryMap : True
^^ SyncRuntimePermissions : True

The above is what I've been doing. Unfortunately, I totally have no idea what's the problem is so I can't really look deeper into it. I tried to understand the log file but I don't understand anything.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Do you have agdpmod=ignore set in your boot args? It's not an OpenCore issue. Your GPU isn't initializing.

nightmitoza

AMD OS X Member
so I changed the value of boot-args -> ignore.

I was able to boot into open core and saw the apple logo with a loading screen bar then black screen again.

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Just noticed you have a wrong file placed under /EFI/BOOT. It should be BOOTX64.EFI not HFSPLUS.EFI.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Have you tried adding RestrictEvents.kext to your EFI?.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The Windows snapshot/image of the OpenCore EFI folder you posted above shows your OC setup is a mess.
  1. The OC sub-folders are in the wrong order, this may be just an issue with how Windows displays the EFI folder contents, but then again it may not.
  2. The BOOT folder contains a copy of 'HfsPlus.efi' when it should contain 'BOOTx64.efi' from the relevant OC release to match OpenCore.efi, the Drivers and Tools in the OC folder.
  3. You have SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table in your ACPI folder, which is probably set to work with Intel systems. You should be using one configured for AMD systems.
  4. You have USBToolBox.kext in your Kexts folder, but lack the UTBMap.kext that contains the USB configuration you should have created in Windows. So the Tool Box kext will be doing nothing. You would probably be better served Enabling the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry in your config.plist as use this kext.
  5. Are you using the correct version of Airportitlwm.kext to work with Ventura?
You need to post a copy of your whole EFI folder so we can see what you are using and how it needs to be edited/revised to work with macOS.

Which release of OpenCore are you using?

nightmitoza

AMD OS X Member
Just noticed you have a wrong file placed under /EFI/BOOT. It should be BOOTX64.EFI not HFSPLUS.EFI.
Actually BOOTx64.efi is under /EFI/Boot. I think it's because I was using dolphin file manger so the visual wasn't that clear.

Have you tried adding RestrictEvents.kext to your EFI?
I didn't. I fixed the problem by adding -v unfairgva=1 alcid=1 agdpmod=pikera to my boot-args

1. The OC sub-folders are in the wrong order, this may be just an issue with how Windows displays the EFI folder contents, but then again it may not.
  2. The BOOT folder contains a copy of 'HfsPlus.efi' when it should contain 'BOOTx64.efi' from the relevant OC release to match OpenCore.efi, the Drivers and Tools in the OC folder.
  3. You have SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table in your ACPI folder, which is probably set to work with Intel systems. You should be using one configured for AMD systems.
  4. You have USBToolBox.kext in your Kexts folder, but lack the UTBMap.kext that contains the USB configuration you should have created in Windows. So the Tool Box kext will be doing nothing. You would probably be better served Enabling the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry in your config.plist as use this kext.
  5. Are you using the correct version of Airportitlwm.kext to work with Ventura?
1. I think it was the way my file manager set up. It put folder I just accessed to the top instead of sorting it out Alphabetically.
2. The BOOT folder actually contain the BOOT64.efi but I forgot to open it if you look closely, other folders were opened except for BOOT folder. That was my mistake sorry.
3. 1690167789202.png I just followed the Dortania Guide. It said SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop for AMD CPU based systems.
4. I missed the UTBMap.kext and I disabled XhicPortLimit since I'm trying to install Ventura. 1690168186782.png
5. Yes, I am using the correct version of AirportItlwm.kext. I downloaded the AirportItlwm_v2.2.0_stable_Ventura.kext.zip from their github page.

I solved the problem by:
1690168379325.png
Thank you everybody for your help. Especially AMD OSX discord for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.