HELP! How to Increase Video Memory from 128mb to (preferably) 6-10gb (total beginner)

anon190392

AMD OS X Member
Hey there,
As the title says I am a total beginner in the Hackintosh scene, I made a Sonoma 14.0 virtual machine and the reported vram is only 128 MB, for what I need the VM for this is not gonna cut it. I am aware that I could have probably found a solution to this problem if I had done enough digging but hopefully, someone can just share some of their expertise real quick and help me out.

let me know if this is even possible and how I would do it.

Host PC:
Win10 pro
32gb ddr4
R5-5600x
B550 mobo
RTX 3060 (12gb)

VM: (Running in Vmware workstation 17.5)
Sonoma 14.3.1
26gb ram
6cores
Opencore 0.8.8 (I think)

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-22 144010.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 144010.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 7

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Your RTX 3060 isn’t supported in any version of macOS, never mind trying to get it to work in a VM. 128mb is all you will have available due to the lack of support for all Nvidia cards in recent versions of macOS.

There is no fix for this issue.

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
The 128 MB limit for macOS seems to be hard coded in vmware. Many people have tried to circumvent this without success and have always ended up back at 128 MB. You may have more luck with VirtualBox, where you can set a larger limit. However, macOS runs less "smoothly" on VirtualBox.

anon190392

AMD OS X Member
The 128 MB limit for macOS seems to be hard coded in vmware. Many people have tried to circumvent this without success and have always ended up back at 128 MB. You may have more luck with VirtualBox, where you can set a larger limit. However, macOS runs less "smoothly" on VirtualBox.
Is there any way to emulate higher video memory or remove the warnings about low video memory in Sonoma?

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
Unfortunately there is no way to do that. VMware provides the guest OS with a software emulated graphics card that is just sufficient to display a desktop.
As far as I know, macOS support in VMWare ESXi was introduced primarily to virtualise macOS servers (for which you don't need fancy graphics support) and somehow made it into VMWare Workstation, where it is deliberately hidden from the customer.

In short, you need real hardware. You could buy a cheap second hand Radeon card and create a "real" hackintosh.
I use a SATA hot swap tray (e.g. HSB220SAT25B) and use various cheap SSDs like floppy disks with it, one for Windows, one for Linux and one for macOS.

What kind of software are you trying to run?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.