Gigabyte x670 a possible good choice for a hack?

rhys

AMD OS X Member
Considering we have the first success below, I'm looking to get mobo & ram asap to complete my 7950x build.

It seems the Asus X670E-F has sold out, and also it's pretty darn expensive.

Does anyone think the below board would be a good choice considering its rumored Gigabyte boards allow you to disable IGPU.
I don't really need an expensive board as I won't be overclocking, if anything I'll be undervolting and reducing clocks if needed.

Regarding Wifi, if onboard isn't compatible I'll just use a wifi/bluetooth card from a broken retina macbook pro, and use a pci adaptor.

Let me know if you think there is a better choice. Budget ideally is anything below $350.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Considering we have the first success below, I'm looking to get mobo & ram asap to complete my 7950x build.

It seems the Asus X670E-F has sold out, and also it's pretty darn expensive.

Does anyone think the below board would be a good choice considering its rumored Gigabyte boards allow you to disable IGPU.
I don't really need an expensive board as I won't be overclocking, if anything I'll be undervolting and reducing clocks if needed.

Regarding Wifi, if onboard isn't compatible I'll just use a wifi/bluetooth card from a broken retina macbook pro, and use a pci adaptor.

Let me know if you think there is a better choice. Budget ideally is anything below $350.

I use a few Gigabyte boards myself (B550 Vision D, Z590I Vision D, Z490 Aorus Xtreme, Z170N-WiFi) and I will say that they generally are very good.
Their UEFI BIOS has always been very flexible and I've rarely had any major issues so I'd expect any 670E boards they produce should be good for
hackintoshing also.

As for boards I read Gigabyte will be offering the new X670 AORUS PRO AX at the entry level price of $300 while their X670(E) AERO D will be priced at $400.
So these can be considerations.

Generally if I was going to build a new setup based on AMD today I would now go for a Socket AM5 setup. Why? Well because AM4 has really reached the end of its life.
While AMD has been suggesting they will keep making AM4 chips for the foreseeable future (with their model lineup going through a major makeover next year) I don't
think it is really worth getting because PCIe 4.0 and DDR4 has reach their limits. The only exception is if you have a current Ryzen system, that you go for a 5800X3D
as an upgrade. Why? Recently it was shown on JayzTwoCents that actually the 5800X3D was shown on their performance comparison charts on Intel's upcoming Raptor
Lake as a direct competitor CPU (but hidden using cleverly placed graphics). It effectively was saying (indirectly) the 5800X3D is as powerful as Alder Lake and Raptor Lake.
It's a worthy one I think considering you can pick one up now for around $419.99 on Amazon.

intel-raptor-lake-5800x3d.png

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I'd wait a few weeks more if you plan to install macOS to not be on the bleeding edge :D

But if you want to get one right now, I think a Gigabyte one will be fine, since we've seen that ASUS (Zen 4) and MSI (Zen 3) boards have issues in macOS, I'm curious to see how the Gigabyte boards will hold up.

The board linked looks fine, but don't forget to update the BIOS once you get it. Let's hope the TSC issue is an ASUS specific bug!

- ExtremeXT

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@rhys Curious to see if your Gigabyte board will also have the PCI lane issues like the ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F GAMING WIFI board...

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Weird that it seems to be working in Big Sur though..
Gigabyte just sold on on Newegg 😢
Yeah, it's a weird bug, some motherboards just have broken PCI lanes for some reason on Monterey+...

rhys

AMD OS X Member
The gigabyte is back in stock, order placed..

rhys

AMD OS X Member
Well according to the specs, the pcie slots are pcie4 (which I'm fine with) so maybe it'l be different in Monterey.
We'll see..
PCI Express 4.0 x161 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 4.0 and running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
Other SlotsChipset:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 4.0 and running at x4 (PCIEX4)
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 3.0 and running at x2 (PCIEX2)
Support for AMD CrossFire™ technology (PCIEX16 and PCIEX4)

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Well according to the specs, the pcie slots are pcie4 (which I'm fine with) so maybe it'l be different in Monterey.
We'll see..
PCI Express 4.0 x161 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 4.0 and running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
Other SlotsChipset:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 4.0 and running at x4 (PCIEX4)
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, supporting PCIe 3.0 and running at x2 (PCIEX2)
Support for AMD CrossFire™ technology (PCIEX16 and PCIEX4)
Only the GPU slot will likely work on macOS.... but hopefully Gigabyte doesn't have the PCI-E issue.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
BDA17875-6919-43AC-9592-56E6C31F329F.pngOnly the GPU slot will likely work on macOS.... but hopefully Gigabyte doesn't have the PCI-E issue.
I think it is more than that.

Let me show you something. This is a screengrab of the PCI specs of the current Mac Pro:

BDA17875-6919-43AC-9592-56E6C31F329F.png

As you can see the slots are defined as Gen 3 PCIe. Since Apple doesn’t have a PCIe 4 based product (and doesn’t use PCIe in the new Apple Silicon designs afaik) that leaves us with only one possible conclusion. There’s no support for PCIe 4.0 in macOS. Which means if you plan to make a fully working hackintosh you must choose a board that has PCIe 3.0 at the very least.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I think it is more than that.

Let me show you something. This is a screengrab of the PCI specs of the current Mac Pro:

View attachment 7585

As you can see the slots are defined as Gen 3 PCIe. Since Apple doesn’t have a PCIe 4 based product (and doesn’t use PCIe in the new Apple Silicon designs afaik) that leaves us with only one possible conclusion. There’s no support for PCIe 4.0 in macOS. Which means if you plan to make a fully working hackintosh you must choose a board that has PCIe 3.0 at the very least.
I think it'll run in compatibility mode as PCI-E Gen 3, it worked for the other person... They used a PCI-E Gen 5 GPU and it worked, at least on Big Sur.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Middleman macOS works perfectly fine with PCIe gen 4. I've been running my hack with a PCIe gen 4 GPU and SSD since end of 2019 and never had any issues in that regard.
Also, Apple Silicon uses PCIe to connect storage, USB etc.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.