Battery status not working

Wax

AMD OS X Member
Hello,
as title says I can't get the battery status to work, the battery is always detected as running on AC, even with ECEnabler kext and SMCBatteryManager.kext
I'm on a laptop, an IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ACH6, with Ryzen 5 5600H, RTX 3050 disabled in OpenCore, 16 gigs of RAM and 512GB SSD.
I followed the first part of the nootedred Hackintosh guide, for gathering files, and then Dortania OpenCore guide for configuring the stuff. Everything is working, besides WiFi but I have an incompatible card, and this battery status thing, which also prohibits me from changing trackpad settings and, well, seeing my battery percentage. Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance
I'll attach my EFI folder, in case it's needed

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    13 MB · Views: 9

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try removing the YogaSMC.kext, see if that fixes the Battery issue. You don't have a Yoga laptop, so this may not be set correctly for your IdeaPad.

It may be clashing with VirtualSMC.kext and the SMCBatteryManager.kext, which is preventing the SMC sensor reading the battery status.

Wax

AMD OS X Member
I already tried with and without YogaSMC but nothing changed, I also tried patching my DSDT the old way but still nothing changed, I tried with the old ACPIBatteryManager kext and still nothing, I don't know what else to do honestly.
A guy with the same laptop and an older BIOS version had it working OOB with just the kexts, so I think a BIOS update screwed something up in how the battery is viewed in the system and it broke battery monitoring, could I be correct?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, a bios update could affect how the battery is displayed in macOS. But it is unlikely to be the cause, as most bios updates don’t mess with battery settings.

If you right-click on the YogaSMC.kext, select show contents, open the Contents folder and then open the info.plist (use ProperTree to read and edit the plist). You will see a number of battery options are present in the plist. From what I recall most were set as ‘False/Disabled’. You might want to trial changing the battery settings to ‘True/Enabled’, to see if changing them makes any difference to how the battery is displayed in macOS.

Obviously you need to keep a backup of your working EFI to hand on a spare USB, in case the changes you make stop the system from booting with the edited kext.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You could always downgrade the bios to a known working version, if the battery worked correctly when you used an older bios. Assuming the upgraded bios doesn’t provide some essential fix for your system.

Wax

AMD OS X Member
Yes, a bios update could affect how the battery is displayed in macOS. But it is unlikely to be the cause, as most bios updates don’t mess with battery settings.

If you right-click on the YogaSMC.kext, select show contents, open the Contents folder and then open the info.plist (use ProperTree to read and edit the plist). You will see a number of battery options are present in the plist. From what I recall most were set as ‘False/Disabled’. You might want to trial changing the battery settings to ‘True/Enabled’, to see if changing them makes any difference to how the battery is displayed in macOS.

Obviously you need to keep a backup of your working EFI to hand on a spare USB, in case the changes you make stop the system from booting with the edited kext.
I just tried that, but still to no avail. It's really weird though, the guy with the working stuff also sent me his EFI and it didn't work for me, I really can't wrap my head around it
You could always downgrade the bios to a known working version, if the battery worked correctly when you used an older bios. Assuming the upgraded bios doesn’t provide some essential fix for your system.
I'll have to try that next, I'll see if I can get an old BIOS copy and flash it, I don't know what else to try, if the BIOS downgrade is successful I'll write it back here in case anyone else needs it. Thanks a lot for the help!

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.