AMD FX 6300 GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0)

bos

AMD OS X Member
Processor: AMD FX 6300
MB : GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0)
Graphics : Integrated ATI Radeon 3000
RAM: 4GB
Storage : SSD 256 GB

I know this hardware is compatible with some MacOS versions but it has legacy bios. I am not able to create bootable usb drive for installation. Not sure from where to start. I have checked for offline/ online installers. None of them work. Is there any script / file for opencore that could be used for making the usb bootable. I have already tried multiple time to create the EFI but not able to boot with it.

Any suggestions or procedures I can follow.

Thank you.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
While the CPU and motherboard are compatible with macOS High Sierra and some newer versions. The Integrated HD 3000 graphic’s aren’t compatible with any version of macOS. You will need a discrete graphics card for macOS to run on your old AMD system.

With regards the legacy boot issue, you need to use the OpenCore/Utilities/LegacyBoot - x64legacyboot.command to create a boot file that sits alongside your EFI folder on your macOS USB installer. This boot file enables your legacy system to boot OpenCore.

bos

AMD OS X Member
Hi Edhawk

Thanks for the update. For using the OpenCore/Utilities/LegacyBoot - x64legacyboot.command, do I need to be on existing MacOS or can it be done on windows. Also the latest Opencore folder doesn't have x64legacyboot.command file. Which file to use.

folder structure.JPG

I have a old Graphics card Powercolor Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 which was supported till High Sierra (10.13.6). I will try with that.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Use BootInstall_X64.tool

Yes, best if done on another macOS system. Never tried using it on windows, you can try, worst Command Prompt/PowerShell will do is say that it can't find the command.

I ran my old & long gone FX-6300 on a UEFI capable board so didn't need this tool.

bos

AMD OS X Member
Used BootInstall_X64.tool in macos in another system but it didn't work for some reason. I didn't get the mbr option. Got this below error.

Changed the efi folder one got from searching web but getting error screen after promoting for "Install High Sierra". Keyboard mouse not working.

Attachments

• error.jpeg
    error.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 0
  • error2.jpeg
    error2.jpeg
    955.1 KB · Views: 0

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The RED text screen is a common error on AMD FX systems, where the system setup (BIOS) is not correct. See this link for a solution.

# Getting the error X64 Exception Type... on AMD FX systems

Regarding the other EFI.
Try using a different USB port with the other EFI folder. As this is another common issue on legacy systems, where the USB port used with the macOS installer is dropped when control is passed from the Bootloader to the OS installer. The USB port works fine during the initial boot phase controlled by OC but not for the later stages.

On a couple of my old FX systems, I had to swap the USB pen drive from one USB port to another for the boot process to continue. To make life easier I used a spare USB extension cable that was plugged in to a USB3 port on the rear I/O plate as the swap port. Using the extension cable meant I could quickly swap the USB installer from a case front port to the rear port, without having to mess around at the back of the case.

If you had the Verbose text showing on your display when booting with the other EFI you would see an error referring to 'Root Device not being found' or something similar, it is a while since I last saw that error.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.