Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

I do a lot of scientific and machine learning work with the machine and I can't afford to have it out of commission if I do something wrong. OpenCore's setup is entirely too complicated and the main guide is so scattered as to be essentially useless when what I have at the moment works well enough.

I would much rather just be able to drop in a new Clover version, update my kexts, and be on my way.

Advertising

Hello lazyusername,
I also not happy about not using Clover, because for some reason developer are not building new CPU Patches.
I am somebody what want's to have a choice to choose what Bootloader I want to use.
But in this case you don't have a choice anymore, sadly.

Yesterday I made the decission to switch to OpenCore and I had success.
Now I am downloading Catalina 10.15.3 for making the USB Installer.

Join OpenCore or you will be staying on Catalina 10.15.1 and make no Progress anymore.

Regards from Germany, Olaf Neumann
While I think that "forcing" a bootloader on the Hackintosh community that is essentially in alpha stage is not very elegant, you have to remember that the whole point of a Hackintosh is to hack an operating system. It is never meant to be "end-user friendly" using mature software on a non-agile development path. The constant changes in macOS require the community's developers to keep coming up with new software and in this instance OpenCore has proved to be the better alternative to Clover, so naturally people who develop patches on their own free time will no longer spend it on the (apparently) inferior program (Clover).

OpenCore's setup is entirely too complicated and the main guide is so scattered as to be essentially useless when what I have at the moment works well enough.
That's BS; you're just not willing to put in the time to set up OpenCore. Again, Hackintoshing is not for those people that want smooth sailing all the time. You should get a real Mac if you want an experience like that. (Not meaning to be arrogant, just stating facts.)
The OC guide is the most complete guide to a vanilla Hackintosh setup on AMD systems that I've seen yet. The older guides were much more shallow. Also setting up OpenCore is not very different from Clover. The biggest difference is that you will have to write a new config file for it, which again is not hard if you follow the guide step by step. Or you might try with one of the *many* EFI folders provided by kind users on this forum in their seccuess threads. It couldn't be easier.
Don't tell me it's not overly complicated, because I've seen far more posts about it being a pain in the ass to set up. Clover was SIMPLE -- put some files together on a partition and you're good. OC requires me to do a ton of bullshit that wasn't necessary before, and until the guide is more focused I'm not going to risk a production system for updates I don't need.
Clover was SIMPLE -- put some files together on a partition and you're good.
That's simply not true. Clover requires a config file and usually some SSDT or DSDT for your mainboard. The config for clover is actually more complex than the one for OpenCore.

because I've seen far more posts about it being a pain in the ass to set up
Yet you haven't tried it yourself.

until the guide is more focused I'm not going to risk a production system for updates I don't need
That's probably the best course of action. But it means you'll be stuck on Catalina 15.1 for now.
Hey @MadMax1998 would mind to share your OC files?
micheldiz wrote:Hey @MadMax1998 would mind to share your OC files?
Sure, I just need to get home and grab them. I'll post them here.
MadMax1998 wrote:
Clover was SIMPLE -- put some files together on a partition and you're good.
That's simply not true. Clover requires a config file and usually some SSDT or DSDT for your mainboard. The config for clover is actually more complex than the one for OpenCore.

because I've seen far more posts about it being a pain in the ass to set up
Yet you haven't tried it yourself.

until the guide is more focused I'm not going to risk a production system for updates I don't need
That's probably the best course of action. But it means you'll be stuck on Catalina 15.1 for now.
I started to install OpenCore back in November but with the scattered nature of the guide at that time I didn't get too far into it before becoming concerned that I would demolish a working system. Regardless of how complex the config.plist files are, I've always used premade ones and well-researched builds, so Clover's always been a breeze for me. Perhaps OC will mature enough to be simpler than it is at the moment, or at least automated to some degree. I'll likely stick with what I'm on until the next version of macOS comes out. I do appreciate your interest in my issue, though, so thank you for that.
@lazyusername, that's fair enough. You're right that OpenCore is still pretty experimental and I pointed to that in one of my earlier posts. It's just that we are at a point in time where there is a transition from one bootloader to another and people are latching on to it, so Clover is left behind. Yes, that means someone will have to make an "OpenCore Configurator" or similar tool to make OpenCore installation easy. (Before anyone points this out, I know that an OC Configurator exists but it's deprecated.)

Using pre-made configs or EFI folders *is* possible with OpenCore if you follow the success stories on this forum until someone posts a working config for your exact hardware. There is also no harm in just trying to boot your working Catalina from an OpenCore USB drive -- you can always return to Clover by pulling the drive.

Best of luck!
lazyusername liked this
MadMax1998 wrote:@lazyusername, that's fair enough. You're right that OpenCore is still pretty experimental and I pointed to that in one of my earlier posts. It's just that we are at a point in time where there is a transition from one bootloader to another and people are latching on to it, so Clover is left behind. Yes, that means someone will have to make an "OpenCore Configurator" or similar tool to make OpenCore installation easy. (Before anyone points this out, I know that an OC Configurator exists but it's deprecated.)

Using pre-made configs or EFI folders *is* possible with OpenCore if you follow the success stories on this forum until someone posts a working config for your exact hardware. There is also no harm in just trying to boot your working Catalina from an OpenCore USB drive -- you can always return to Clover by pulling the drive.

Best of luck!
You know, I hadn't even thought about making a boot USB for it! I might just do that. I've got the USB install drive still set up, and I could just swap the OC stuff into Clover's place.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might delve into OC now.

You should not need the DSDT.aml nor the SSDT-EC.d[…]

Matx board? Sleep and wake is fine?)

Speak to XLNC on the Discord. It's a non Zen issue[…]

Help booting Mojave installer

OpenCore supports all version of 10.13, 10.14 and[…]