Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

Advertising

by: Egress
[email protected] wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:44 pm
Egress wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:19 am
How do you like the Vega 56?
Oh, I'm loving it.
I do have the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 though, so it's supposed to be the best Vega 56 price/performance.
Worked out of the box without any fan speed intervention.

The only issue I had was the HEVC & H264 wasn't enabled but I didn't know this until I ran videoproc, then I checked on reddit, someone told me to change my SMBIOS and everything works perfectly now. playing mpv player HEVC perfectly with less CPU.
Nice! I experiemented with system timing to no avail. Console reveals a number of possibilities. Freezing first occurs during Clover EFI boot process then continues into into bootup of OSX and throughout using any apps. I'll play with kexts but it might be the system kernel.

Also my HDMI audio shows multiple connections even though there is only one. This problem has occurred in earlier OSX versions and was corrected with kext. Voodoo of some kind, as I recall.

It would be amazing to get OSX working smooth! Will update if anything new. Thanks![/quote]

hmmm... do you have time machine enabled or any backup app?
I recently restored my macos to a new NVME using the latest vanilla guide 10.14.6 USB installer (and time machine) and everything worked out smothly with just the barebones kexts, no drivers64uefi even.

maybe that's worth a try
[/quote]

Thanks. It's certainly worth a try.

As for kexts, I've been adding some, deleting others. One small group of kexts I introduced from a working 10.13 system slowed Mojave to a crawl, freezing the system consistently after a few seconds, staying frozen for a minute or more, then repearing the cycle. Removal of the kext group returned Mojave to its previous state i.e. almost evenly freezing and releasing every 30 seconds or so. It's a worthy guess there's a kext/kernel issue.

Over time (it's a very slow process) I hope to isolate the offending kexts.
Post Merged
lazyusername wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 pm
I disabled both Time Machine and Spotlight in my quest to fix the issue and had no luck
I'm no expert but what I can see from Console errors, MacOS is looking for various resources that are not present. So, there is a process that permits e.g. 30 seconds to search for the resources, freezes the system in search of them, then unfreezes the system to perform other tasks.

The problem might be kexts, the kernel or both. I'll continue to experiment and report back here if I'm lucky to unfreeze the system.
Post Merged
lazyusername wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 pm
I disabled both Time Machine and Spotlight in my quest to fix the issue and had no luck
Same result here. I'll revisit all the install steps to make certain I haven't missed something.
Post Merged
[email protected] wrote:
How do you like the Vega 56?[/quote]

Oh, I'm loving it.
I do have the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 though, so it's supposed to be the best Vega 56 price/performance.

The only issue I had was the HEVC & H264 wasn't enabled but I didn't know this until I ran videoproc, then I checked on reddit, someone told me to change my SMBIOS and everything works perfectly now. playing mpv player HEVC perfectly with less CPU.
[/quote]

Had some time to experiment with kexts in Clover EFI. There is a minimum compliment to at least boot the system into desktop. Some kexts render the system uselles while others are either neutral or improve performance slightly.

While periodic freezing is still a problem during and after boot, an interesting thing happens. If Mojave is left running for an hour or two, freezing occurs much less and for shorter periods of time making the system fairly useable.

Planning to review all BIOS and Clover settings. Some other users have Mojave working very well without appearing to know exacty how. Several agree the kernel does not need to be changed and claim the Vanilla kexts are good.

My machine runs High Sierra perfectly, so I'll revisit all kexts and settings over the next few days.
Post Merged
[email protected] wrote:
How do you like the Vega 56?[/quote]

Oh, I'm loving it.

[/quote]

Do you recall the changes you made to SMBOIS? Thanks! :thumbup: :D
yes, I noticed when I was playing MPV player with interploation, it would stutter a bit but then I pause it for a second to let the buffer then play the movie without any issues, but I didn't notice that it wasn't using H/W acceleration and all CPU until I install videoproc where it said my GPU acceleration isn't enabled.
What I know so far from research on forums, reddit, etc. is that, iGPU for Apple devices are enabled for intel quicksync since those are the official default for legit Apple devices which you need to disable but is tedious. So far, the only Apple device I know that doesn't have the iGPU enabled by default is the iMacPro 2017 which came with AMD GPU, so naturally, iGPU is disabled for this and uses the AMD GPU by default.

In short, I switched my SMBIOS to iMacPro 2017 (iMacPro1,1), rebooted, reconnected to icloud/imessage/facetime; then checked videoproc to see HEVC & H264 H/W acceleration is enabled. Once confirmed, my mpv interpolation is noticeably faster without having to pause for a second or 2 for the buffer since it's not using the CPU 100%.
Egress liked this
[email protected] wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:44 pm
Egress wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
How do you like the Vega 56?
Oh, I'm loving it.

Nice! I experiemented with system timing to no avail. Console reveals a number of possibilities. Freezing first occurs during Clover EFI boot process then continues into into bootup of OSX and throughout using any apps. I'll play with kexts but it might be the system kernel.

Also my HDMI audio shows multiple connections even though there is only one. This problem has occurred in earlier OSX versions and was corrected with kext. Voodoo of some kind, as I recall.

It would be amazing to get OSX working smooth! Will update if anything new. Thanks![/quote]

hmmm... do you have time machine enabled or any backup app?
I recently restored my macos to a new NVME using the latest vanilla guide 10.14.6 USB installer (and time machine) and everything worked out smothly with just the barebones kexts, no drivers64uefi even.

maybe that's worth a try
[/quote]

Up to now, I've tried many things but result is still the same: periodic finder freezes (even during startup and shutdown). Some kexts make freezes last longer. I'll continue to experiment.
Post Merged
[email protected] wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:49 pm
lazyusername wrote:I disabled both Time Machine and Spotlight in my quest to fix the issue and had no luck
list your kexts and drivers (both BIOS and UEFI)
Oops, I missed your kind response earlier. I'll put together a list of kexts and config plist when I've run out of options for experiment. Also, if successful, I'll post as well. :thumbup:
Post Merged
[email protected] wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:56 pm
yes, I noticed when I was playing MPV player with interploation, it would stutter a bit but then I pause it for a second to let the buffer then play the movie without any issues, but I didn't notice that it wasn't using H/W acceleration and all CPU until I install videoproc where it said my GPU acceleration isn't enabled.
What I know so far from research on forums, reddit, etc. is that, iGPU for Apple devices are enabled for intel quicksync since those are the official default for legit Apple devices which you need to disable but is tedious. So far, the only Apple device I know that doesn't have the iGPU enabled by default is the iMacPro 2017 which came with AMD GPU, so naturally, iGPU is disabled for this and uses the AMD GPU by default.

In short, I switched my SMBIOS to iMacPro 2017 (iMacPro1,1), rebooted, reconnected to icloud/imessage/facetime; then checked videoproc to see HEVC & H264 H/W acceleration is enabled. Once confirmed, my mpv interpolation is noticeably faster without having to pause for a second or 2 for the buffer since it's not using the CPU 100%.
Thanks Lars, you've provided an interesting lead. I'm pretty sure I've toggled iGPU off in my Clover settings but I'll take another look and experiment.

Aside, I've tried a number of different CPU speeds with the same overall result. At higher speeds, the same behavor occurs but cylces faster. Lower clock speeds yield longer freeze cycles.

Again, my machine runs High Sierra perfectly, so I'll guess my BIOS settings are good. Given there have been accounts of successful Mojave installs here and I've followed the guidelines (hopefully properly), I'm guessing the problem lies with Clover and/or kext settings.
by: XLNC
Whats your system specs ?
Post a dump using darwin dumper app and make sure to untick cpu information option before clicking on dump.
Egress liked this
XLNC wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:33 am
Whats your system specs ?
Post a dump using darwin dumper app and make sure to untick cpu information option before clicking on dump.
Thanks XLNC !

I'll look for Darwin Dumper App and get back to you. Pardon I didn't see your response until now.
:thumbup: :clap:

The 9, 10 and 20 series cards are not supported […]

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 6.28.48 PM.png Specs:[…]

nvidia gpu laggy

I use this driver on my GTX 1070: https://images.n[…]

Install the nvidia web driver for 10.13.6 here: ht[…]