Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

by: Deconseven
Hi Y'all,

I'm a Pro Audio guy that uses a Pro Tools HD - TDM based system.
Unfortunately, I can only run my DAW up to 10.9.5 without experiencing any major issues.
I'm considering a Ryzen 7 CPU, but would probably go the threadripper route if at all possible.

So that's my question, is the AMD Mavericks Kernal Ryzen ready? And is threadripper getting eventual support from y'all? Thanks!

Advertising

by: adgjk
I'm a Pro Tools guy too, looking to upgrade, however I can use the latest OS as I'm on PT12. Very much interested in Threadripper and would love to know the answer on this
Deconseven liked this
by: Shaneee
Yeah there's a Mavericks kernel available for Ryzen. Are you able to make an installer or is one needed? I could maybe make one when I've got time.
Deconseven liked this
Hi Shaneee,

Thanks for the help.
I still gotta save some cash before I can do this since a threadripper build will cost me around 1500 to 2000,- €.
I need to save up that money :thumbup:
I just wanted to know if this could be an option since a Ryzen 7 1800x setup would only offer around the same Digital Sound Processing as my Dual Xeon machine.

What do I have to watch out for when looking at X399 motherboards? Any specific do's and don'ts or is there a thread that describes this well enough?
by: adgjk
This will work for Threadripper too? Which motherboard manufacturer works best with AMD Hackintosh, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks!
Deconseven liked this
by: Shaneee
When it comes to motherboards on AMD pretty much any one will work. Ryzen works on 10.9, 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 so I would assume Threadripper would too.
Deconseven liked this
Shaneee wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:31 am
When it comes to motherboards on AMD pretty much any one will work. Ryzen works on 10.9, 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 so I would assume Threadripper would too.
Super! This is great! I'll start planning my build and hopefully be able to purchase it soon! :mrgreen:
Post Merged
I found the board, I think I'm going to go with for the threadreaper:
MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

USB-C will probably only work at USB 3.0 speeds according to this Reddit thread concerning the ASM3142 USB chipset. Native USB-C from the CPU and X399 is a mystery to me, but hopefully it will function.
Code: Select all
https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4c3o8q/usb_31_ports_dont_work/
WiFi isn't compatible since it's an Intel 8265 card, but it looks like I could probably swap it out.

Ethernet should work with the following kext:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/appleigb.323/
Audio is a Realtek ALC 1220 and supposed to function with VoodooHDA
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/314406-voodoohda-290/
Hopefully, I'll be able to try this out soon. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Shaneee liked this
by: simplefisik
Any updates concerning the project? Looking for my next build and the Treadripper is a possibility for me.

Thanks! :D

Hello, I've got a strange problem. I've installed […]

Hardware Monitor AMD

It works, thanks Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 08.29.[…]

Bored of Yosemite...

Hello! Use the latest tutorial of installing High […]

Im planning on picking up a 1050ti tomorrow and am[…]