• AMD Ryzen Threadripper Build plans

• Chat about almost anything as long as it is within the rules.

Please remember to read and follow the rules here.

Please Donate or visit my Amazon Wishlist if you've found the website useful. Thanks.

Chat about almost anything as long as it is within the rules.
#42631 by Runi
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:18 pm
Hi, I am thinking about building a new workstation, I am currently working on a Intel based hackintosh. It´s going to be my home workstation so a am trying to build a more compact build.
The GPU on the list I already own in a 8GB version but the store only had 4GB so I selected it to complete the list.

Anyone have any thoughts on my list and advices are welcome if any of the items are not so compatible with OSX.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X CPU - 3.8 GHz - AMD TR4
ASRock X399M TAICHI motherboard - AMD X399 - AMD TR4
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 - 8GB GDDR5 RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400 C15 DC - 16GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 - 650 Watt
Samsung 970 EVO SSD M.2 2280 - 500GB

Post Merged
I can report that this build was a success, and what a beast of a machine this is :) And with my Dell 4k monitor it is a joy to work with.
I did not have any issues during the installation, I used the v3 of the HighSierraAMD unofficial installer.

At the moment the only thing not working is the built in bluetooth.

Is there anyone that knows what is needed for Bluetooth to work?
Post Merged
A pic of the new Threadripper Hackintosh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Advertising

#42659 by Shaneee
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:53 pm
Congrats. Any info on the bluetooth? Is it USB or PCI?

#42662 by ydeng
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 pm
Runi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:18 pm
Hi, I am thinking about building a new workstation, I am currently working on a Intel based hackintosh. It´s going to be my home workstation so a am trying to build a more compact build.
The GPU on the list I already own in a 8GB version but the store only had 4GB so I selected it to complete the list.

Anyone have any thoughts on my list and advices are welcome if any of the items are not so compatible with OSX.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X CPU - 3.8 GHz - AMD TR4
ASRock X399M TAICHI motherboard - AMD X399 - AMD TR4
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 - 8GB GDDR5 RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400 C15 DC - 16GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 - 650 Watt
Samsung 970 EVO SSD M.2 2280 - 500GB

Post Merged
I can report that this build was a success, and what a beast of a machine this is :) And with my Dell 4k monitor it is a joy to work with.
I did not have any issues during the installation, I used the v3 of the HighSierraAMD unofficial installer.

At the moment the only thing not working is the built in bluetooth.

Is there anyone that knows what is needed for Bluetooth to work?
Post Merged
A pic of the new Threadripper Hackintosh
Use my USB patches, bluetooth will work?
How did you get Intel Wifi working?

#42676 by Runi
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:21 am
ThankX :) I will look at your USB patch.
I'm sorry to say I did not get the wifi to work and since i am working with ethernet at my desk i did not bother but I order the ABWB wifi card of amazon and its duo to arrive in 3-4 days. I will let you know if it plays along with my osx.
I found out there was a bunch of issues with ACR (adobe camera raw) and I have not yet gotten lightroom to play along. But I got photoshop and premiere to work by deleting some plugins. Not my preferred method but I guess i have to pay for selecting a Ryzen CPU :)
I will give this a try for a fair amount of time but if I predict that AMD´s will have harder time in the future with compatibility i will consider going got a Intel based equalent :(

But apart for those hiccups i am pretty happy with the machine.
Post Merged
@ Ydeng,
Could you please walk me through how to implement the USB patch you refer to? I searched the forum and found a thread where you link to a AppleUSBXHCI file and I guess it it supposed to go into SLE/contents/plugins. Is that right?
It is strange that I seam to have all my USB ports working but when I go into System Report and select USB, no items are listed there. I have at least 4-5 devices connected (USB dongle for my keyboard, USB stick, USB 3.1 HDD, a USB-C disk and a mouse).

Another trouble I run into is with Lightroom. At first it crashed on launch, I then removed a CameraRaw.lrtoolkit from Lightroom/content/plugins and I then was able to boot the application but I can not open a existing library nor can I create a new one. I am certain that I have privileges in order to do so. Any thoughts from anyone regarding LR and has anyone had similar issues?

#42689 by AlGrey
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:23 pm
Runi wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:00 pm
ThankX :) I will look at your USB patch.
I'm sorry to say I did not get the wifi to work and since i am working with ethernet at my desk i did not bother but I order the ABWB wifi card of amazon and its duo to arrive in 3-4 days. I will let you know if it plays along with my osx.
I found out there was a bunch of issues with ACR (adobe camera raw) and I have not yet gotten lightroom to play along. But I got photoshop and premiere to work by deleting some plugins. Not my preferred method but I guess i have to pay for selecting a Ryzen CPU :)
I will give this a try for a fair amount of time but if I predict that AMD´s will have harder time in the future with compatibility i will consider going got a Intel based equalent :(

But apart for those hiccups i am pretty happy with the machine.
Post Merged
@ Ydeng,
Could you please walk me through how to implement the USB patch you refer to? I searched the forum and found a thread where you link to a AppleUSBXHCI file and I guess it it supposed to go into SLE/contents/plugins. Is that right?
It is strange that I seam to have all my USB ports working but when I go into System Report and select USB, no items are listed there. I have at least 4-5 devices connected (USB dongle for my keyboard, USB stick, USB 3.1 HDD, a USB-C disk and a mouse).

Another trouble I run into is with Lightroom. At first it crashed on launch, I then removed a CameraRaw.lrtoolkit from Lightroom/content/plugins and I then was able to boot the application but I can not open a existing library nor can I create a new one. I am certain that I have privileges in order to do so. Any thoughts from anyone regarding LR and has anyone had similar issues?
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4986&p=42056