Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-i gaming
RAM: KINGSTON HyperX Predator 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
HDD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB + 850 EVO 500GB + Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200rpm
USB : 3.0 | 3.1
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB
LAN: Intel I211-AT (onboard)
Sound: Motherboard (HDMI not tested - I use USB audio interface anyway)
Sleep: Works
Monitor: LG 27" LCD
Bootloader: Clover
Other OS: Win10 Pro (dual boot via Clover)

working:
- restore from Time Machine backup created on real Mac (MBP) runing same macOS version
- basic stuff seems to be working - I was not able to fully test everything, because ->

not working:
- "About this Mac" window shows Unknown CPU
- BT/Wifi at the moment as the MoBo has unsupported BT/Wifi module (new one with supported chipset on the way). - I mainly use wifi for my internet connection
- Reaper DAW v5.981 is crashing from some reason it gave me lot of headache, when I finally got a genius idea to try an older version , which seems to be working fine (now I need to try out what's the latest supported that's work). Funnily enough - this version works fine on my MBP

sort of working:
- USB audio interface (Arturia Audiofuse) kind of unstable when plugged to USB 3.1 gen2 ports - this seems to be working fine on Windows, also latencies reported by DAW are better on Windows, than on macOS, which is kind of unusual as it usually is other way round. Using USB 3.1 gen1 seems to be stable

I used Vanilla guide, noVPA and lilu kexts to fix jpg Preview issue. Process wasn't smooth from the beginning as I used Clover r50xx which according to wonderful people on Discord server is buggy and they narrowed me to use r49xx (r4988 is what I ended up using), since then it was piece of cake.

I'll report back when I get my new BT/Wifi module and replace it and test everything properly.

for now - Thanks to everyone who contributed to creation of the guides, kexts and config.plist for new Ryzen 3000 CPUs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wudin00 liked this

Advertising

OMG...
you made this !
I actually trying to create the same build !! the same MB, the same GPU (and i don't know yet if I take a 3600X or the 3700X)
Thank you very much.

I bought a DW1560 from dell on ebay and want to replace the CNVi of the motherboard and try to make wifi and BT work too...
What did you buy ?
hey! So I'm not the only one who picked these parts (I kind of felt stupid by choosing without doing deep research what works oob and what 's not, when I was troubleshooting and trying to get the stuff working :crazy: )

first thing first - make sure your MB has the latest FW so it actually supports new Ryzen 3000 CPUs! Otherwise you won't be able to boot like me... :lol: AMD is offering free boot kit, which consist of AMD 200GE CPU - which they send to you for free and after you successfully update FW on your MB you can send it back to them for free. but to apply for that you need to fill in some forms, provide detailed documentation (copies of invoices and receipts, serial numbers.. ) proving that you purchased actual Ryzen 3000 CPU and AM4 MB that needs updating and also statement from the retailer why it wasn't possible to update FW by them in the first place :crazy: so I ended up buying the cheapest AM4 CPU that was available in the shortest period of time (the same day on purchase), which was 200GE (what a coincidence) and I used 14days return policy - so free boot kit for me - faster and without bureaucracy :D

3600x vs 3700x - I wanted to build the most silent PC as I can, so more power at less TDP for me :thumbup: and hence Noctua case fans and tower cooler (NH-U12A) which is total overkill for the 65W CPU

for the BT/Wifi module I got DW1820A - fingers crossed for me - if it'll give me a headache again, while I'll try to get it working, I'll probably be able to re-justify the price difference of 1560, which seems to be more hassle free.

here is list of UEFI drivers:
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi
  • AudioDxe.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • Fat.efi
  • FSInject.efi
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • SMCHelper.efi
  • VBoxHfs.efi
and kexts (there may be some that are not necessary, though):
  • AHCIPortInjector.kext
  • AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
  • AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • AppleATIATA.kext
  • ApplePS2Controller.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • HibernationFixup.kext
  • JMicron36xATA.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • NoVPAJpeg.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
  • SuperVIAATA.kext
  • SystemProfilerMemoryFixup.kext
  • toledaARPT.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext
  • VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext
that worked for me, it may save you some time - in troubleshooting of what's wrong with DAW - Reaper - I tried to run it on clean install, instead of system restored from Time Machine, which meant to reinstall macOS again (stupid me) and knowing what I know now it was piece of cake without issue for the second time. 8-)

also a note that worth mentioning is that I created macOS Mojave install USB on a Mac using "Install macOS Mojave.app" downloaded form App Store. Then I installed Clover on the USB. I tried to use gibMacOS method on Windows, but I run into an issue where I got the error "The recovery server could not be contacted" (or something like that), when I tried to start actual Mojave installation. But it was while I was using the buggy Clover release, so I'm not sure if it was caused by bad installer or by something else.

Also, in case you're using Samsung 970 EVO plus NVMe SSD - Update the FW first - I got random crashes during install before updating.

good luck with your build!
That's good news!
In fact, I'm reading a lot of reviews and articles to make a good build.
I saw that I need to update the FW of the motherboard.
In fact, the price of the gigabyte x570-i is not very different from the x470-i from Asus, but it gives me better USB slots and no problem of compatibility.
For the NVMe disk, I took the 970 EVO not the plus one ;).

I received my DW1560, i'm waiting for your test with the DW1820A.
Egress liked this
I was looking for mini itx board and Asus X570-i is still not available anywhere near me at the moment... + given the fact X570 chipsets use more power, require additional fan for cooling the VRM and I won't benefit from PCIe4.0 anytime soon I've decided to stick with X470 version, which was my first pick anyway.

I'm still waiting for my DW1820A, it'll be probably another week of wait or so.
Egress liked this
And why did you buy the x470 and not the b450 ?
I don't know where is the difference, there is a difference of about 50€ between the x470 and the B450 in france :wtf: .
Egress liked this
4Eyes wrote:hey! So I'm not the only one who picked these parts (I kind of felt stupid by choosing without doing deep research what works oob and what 's not, when I was troubleshooting and trying to get the stuff working :crazy: )

first thing first - make sure your MB has the latest FW so it actually supports new Ryzen 3000 CPUs! Otherwise you won't be able to boot like me... :lol: AMD is offering free boot kit, which consist of AMD 200GE CPU - which they send to you for free and after you successfully update FW on your MB you can send it back to them for free. but to apply for that you need to fill in some forms, provide detailed documentation (copies of invoices and receipts, serial numbers.. ) proving that you purchased actual Ryzen 3000 CPU and AM4 MB that needs updating and also statement from the retailer why it wasn't possible to update FW by them in the first place :crazy: so I ended up buying the cheapest AM4 CPU that was available in the shortest period of time (the same day on purchase), which was 200GE (what a coincidence) and I used 14days return policy - so free boot kit for me - faster and without bureaucracy :D

3600x vs 3700x - I wanted to build the most silent PC as I can, so more power at less TDP for me :thumbup: and hence Noctua case fans and tower cooler (NH-U12A) which is total overkill for the 65W CPU

for the BT/Wifi module I got DW1820A - fingers crossed for me - if it'll give me a headache again, while I'll try to get it working, I'll probably be able to re-justify the price difference of 1560, which seems to be more hassle free.

here is list of UEFI drivers:
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi
  • AudioDxe.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • Fat.efi
  • FSInject.efi
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • SMCHelper.efi
  • VBoxHfs.efi
and kexts (there may be some that are not necessary, though):
  • AHCIPortInjector.kext
  • AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
  • AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • AppleATIATA.kext
  • ApplePS2Controller.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • HibernationFixup.kext
  • JMicron36xATA.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • NoVPAJpeg.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
  • SuperVIAATA.kext
  • SystemProfilerMemoryFixup.kext
  • toledaARPT.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext
  • VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext
that worked for me, it may save you some time - in troubleshooting of what's wrong with DAW - Reaper - I tried to run it on clean install, instead of system restored from Time Machine, which meant to reinstall macOS again (stupid me) and knowing what I know now it was piece of cake without issue for the second time. 8-)

also a note that worth mentioning is that I created macOS Mojave install USB on a Mac using "Install macOS Mojave.app" downloaded form App Store. Then I installed Clover on the USB. I tried to use gibMacOS method on Windows, but I run into an issue where I got the error "The recovery server could not be contacted" (or something like that), when I tried to start actual Mojave installation. But it was while I was using the buggy Clover release, so I'm not sure if it was caused by bad installer or by something else.

Also, in case you're using Samsung 970 EVO plus NVMe SSD - Update the FW first - I got random crashes during install before updating.

good luck with your build!
Hello,

Well nice build man, but you have a lot of kext that at this point are deprecated and maybe cold make your installation unstable. For Example:

AppleATIAta - makes no sense, there is no IDE/PATA connectsors in new motherboards, the last time I saw that ports was in 2010.
ApplePS2Controller - makes no sense, or maybe if you have a PS2 keyboard/mouse, but anyway makes no sense, the port is not plug and play and the manufacturers just put it in case you want to use it for older OS.
JMicron36xATA.kext - makes no sense, it is a deprecated kext for an older SerialATA/PATA controller.
SuperVIAATA- makes no sense, it is a deprecated kext for an older VIA SerialATA/PATA controller.
toledaARPT.kext - makes no sense, it is a deprecated kext for non native Wireless adapters.
SystemProfilerMemoryFixup.kext - makes no sense at all, this kext is for real macs, macbooks, to show the memory tab in about this mac, because the ram in this machine is soldered that tab is missing, in case for hackintosh, it is usable in laptop that are using macbookpros smbios that have soldered ram, and you want to see that tab again. In desktop make no sense at all.
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext - makes no sense, the same as ApplePS2Controller.

I am making this because some people maybe want to try one or maybe all of the kext in the list and maybe is stressing to don't know why your machine have a kernel panic, and is because you are just are using useless kext for no reason at all.
Egress liked this
well thank you for pointing that out :thumbup:

I've been also able to find out what's wrong with Reaper - it's "fault" of developers, it seems that ICC they are using is not compatible with Ryzen as AMD is not officially supported on macOS, so they didn't even think of compatibility issue
manoueltiger wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:00 pm And why did you buy the x470 and not the b450 ?
I don't know where is the difference, there is a difference of about 50€ between the x470 and the B450 in france :wtf: .
Mini itx was the format I was looking for, there weren't any b450 mini itx boards available + per reviews x470 offered better performance/feature set, better VRMs, which I could benefit from in case I decide to play with OC
Egress liked this
Grats on your build. It sounds like a beast. I have a question about your video card performance. How is the OpenGL and metal performance now? Last time I tried with my Ryzen system performance was very laggy/slow compared to the same card on an intel system.

Grats again on your install.
Egress liked this
As a basic user I cannot complain - GUI is not laggy even at 4k or scaled resolutions, it looks good, online 3d modelling tool, that uses HW acceleration works much better than on MBP with iris graphics. But I have similar benchmark results like people who pointed out that they are getting lower performance with 17h patch, than with 15h_16h path - fix for that is in progress (tested at the moment), so I'll wait for that. Apparently low performance is enough for me :angel:

Also I have an update on Wi-Fi/BT module - no luck, I used the guide, it says native support and OS didn't detect Wi-Fi nor BT.. and since BT was not stable on Windows and Wi-Fi stopped working on Windows from some reason too, I decided to go back to what was built in in MB and I'll sort out LAN connection instead of wasting money/time with this. I wan't to use it and enjoy the performance and power of my computer, not to troubleshoot it all the time :-P

Apart from that - only con I find is that this thing is so quiet that I'm thinking of getting rid of HDD since sound of spinning plates bothers me :twisted:
Last edited by 4Eyes on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egress liked this

Have you tried plug your peripherals into USB 2.0 […]

I have used OpenCore 0.5.2 with installing Catalin[…]

But, wich version of Catalina worked with you?[…]

I have a very similar configuration. I keep gettin[…]