• Success! Threadripper 1950x - x399 Asrock Taichi - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 - G.Skillz TridentZ 128G

• If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.

Please remember to read and follow the rules here.

Please Donate or visit my Amazon Wishlist if you've found the website useful. Thanks.

If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.
#41635 by yodamaycry
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:27 pm
Just wanted to post a summary of my initial success, for anyone looking at a similar setup.

USB installer used: AMDHS_installer_V2 (bronya kernel) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2948#p33500

I have used both a 2.0 USB stick and a 3.0 USB stick, plugged into a 3.0 port in my case. (no 2.0 ports on the Taichi) I got similar performance from both thumb drives.

I moved my NVidia GPU to slot 3 instead of slot 1 at the suggestion of another user, and this seems to allow the installer to load, though I don't know why.

This one was BIG for me... It is my experience that launching the installer from the USB clover menu can take anywhere from 2 to 25+ tries. Most of the time I get a panic or double panic, which I call the "BSDs", because the last line I see is "...BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task..." When I see "BSD" on the screen I hit reset and try again. If you stick with it long enough eventually the verbose code that loads will look differently than before, and the installer will appear within a minute or two. (again, just my experience)

So, following the XLNC tutorial video in the link above, I was able to get OSX 10.3.1 running and stable. I even used a Time Machine backup from my Macbook Pro, which is running 10.3.5, and was able to transfer over my apps and docs and info. I am having trouble unlocking the "Lock Icon" in security preferences. Even after typing in my password, the Lock stays closed and I can't edit the security options. Not sure if this is because of the 10.3.1 - 10.3.5 discrepancy or just a fluke of the AMD Hackintosh process.

Currently NOT working:
- Wifi - the wifi card in the Asrock Taichi is not registering. (unfortunately this is my only source of internet, so I can't check a lot of the other features till I get a USB wifi stick that works with Mac.)

I will be updating this post as I get more info. Thanks to those helping, and good luck to the rest!
Egress liked this

Advertising

#41814 by GarryBarry1
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:02 pm
Hey man, have pretty much the same setup!
So am i right that whet you are getting "Kernel task" freeze, you just have to wait when it will continue booting?
Thanks!
Egress liked this

#41931 by DubaiDave
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:33 pm
I congratulate both yodamaycry and GarryBarry1 for your progress so far. My setup is not too different and the closest I've got was a single successful install and boot from HDD, . None of the nVidia web drivers would install (giving a build compatibility error) and I was left with 640x480 graphics. No build number was presented in the system info. On reboot it would no longer work after the clover boot screen. So after 3 hrs and a single successful boot, I'm back to square one. I will chalk it up with the hundreds of reboots, change of USB slots, USB sticks and installer versions.

I will try in another week or so and move the video card to slot 3 to see if that also helps. If you have any other guidance or and EFI folder you could share it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Egress liked this