• [Success] Sierra 10.12.6 on AMD Threadripper 1950X

• If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.

Please remember to read and follow the rules here.

Please Donate if you've found the website useful. Thanks.

If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.
 #33730  by tobyni
 Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:05 am
AMD Threadripper with some impressive benchmarks! Thanks to Shanee & AlGrey for a couple of nudges in the right direction. Onboard Giga-LAN, USB2, USB3 and Realtek Audio 1200 all working out-of-box. No sleep/resume issues.

Only slight niggles - Sounblaster X-Fi working with glitches using a very old Voodoo kext, and Qfan not supported, so slightly 'enthusiastic' cooling policy. Almost scared to tinker too much now it's working, as I need a stable environment for emergency work.

Installers didn't work for me, I had to vanilla install on an intel i3, install nVidia Web Drivers then transplant to AMD. After that, boot from AMD 5.2 installer in safe mode to run post patches. Then reboot with CSM disabled, rebuild with Kext Utility then re-enabled CSM (optional).
Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 02.45.43.jpg
Boot flags: npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 slide=0 dart=0 EHCIacquire=Yes USBLegacyOff=Yes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlGrey liked this

Advertising

#33794  by AlGrey
 Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:06 pm
:thumbup:

For sound, try this guide to attach VooodoHDA to the onboard audio chip only and allow native audio on other devices : viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2873
 #34246  by tobyni
 Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:06 am
Perfectly is a strong word... it's very stable, has performed everything I've tried so far, including some audio work in Logic. Haven't tried video editing, but I assume it'll work quite well. It does seem to have developed some jitters if it hits a couple of sleep/resume cycles, but then I've experienced that to some degree with any computer.
 #34366  by Egress
 Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:09 am
Good on you! I have the same CPU, MB and 32G RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4ch) plus an 8800GT pull from a genuine MacPro and an RX550 because it's supposedly supported in Sierra and High Sierra natively. My Clover USB key boots to a command line menu as it should but that's as far as it goes. I've tried a number of methods with no luck to achieve an OSX installer screen. I can't figure out how to install e.g. nv-disable=0 (presuming it might be an issue) for the boot sequence as the 8800GT has Mac native firmware and works fine in Windows 10.

When I boot sierraAMD from the key, up pops a few of pages of command line info, a couple of pauses, then the boot process hangs at:

Waiting for remote debugger connection.
kdp-poll: no debugger device

It happens whether I use the RX550 or the 8800GT.

I'm intrigued by your comment:

"Installers didn't work for me, I had to vanilla install on an intel i3, install nVidia Web Drivers then transplant to AMD. After that, boot from AMD 5.2 installer in safe mode to run post patches. Then reboot with CSM disabled, rebuild with Kext Utility then re-enabled CSM (optional)."

I believe I understand the basic concept of your technique but it would be great to have a bit more detail. I have a Sierra/HS capable Mac, btw, so I can easily create a vanilla Sierra install to an SSD. I'm wondering how you transplanted the partion "to AMD"? Can you elaborate on the Bios and Clover settings you used? Thanks.