• Is my Ryzen 7 plus Vega build compatible at all?

• Not sure if your system will work? Ask for help with a compatibility check.

Please remember to read and follow the rules here.

Please Donate if you've found the website useful. Thanks.

Not sure if your system will work? Ask for help with a compatibility check.
 #32258  by James Pond
 Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 pm
Hi everyone,

I have been a Linux and Mac user for a very long time, but recently I had to update my MacBook as it was no longer possible to edit photos on it and pricing in Brazil for Apple hardware is simply insane (as in, 5k for the cheapest MacBook Pro), so I went the Windows 10 route instead.

You probably know the rest of the story. Not saying Windows 10 is a bad OS, it is not, but for someone already so deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem it seems foolish to keep going with this OS, so I have the option to go with a hackintosh or to remote connect to my Windows machine when I want to edit (the machine is already set up on a server rack anyway). I would rather avoid the remote connection route though, as selling my old MacBook in Brazil would pay for this entire build easily.

Anyway. I am currently running:
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming
  • Ryzen 7 1700
  • G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB 320
  • Radeon™ RX Vega⁶⁴ Liquid Cooled
  • SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB NVMe
I know that it is possible to get MacOS running on Ryzen and I have seen a few threads about Vega as well, but never about both together plus an M.2 drive. I do have a storage server with SSDs on it that I could steal for this build, but I would rather use the M.2 as Lightroom and Premiere Pro fly with this thing.

Is this at all possible or should I simply go the remote access way? Thanks in advance!

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Advertising