• Change CPU Name in About this Mac

• Tutorials for the installation and post install.

Please remember to read and follow the rules here.

Please Donate if you've found the website useful. Thanks.

Tutorials for the installation and post install.
#18594 by Shaneee
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 pm
I finally found a way to change the CPU name from the Intel one that shows to AMD. Here you can see mine reported correctly,

To start you will want to download iHex from the App Store. Here is a link for it,
Code: Select all
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ihex-hex-editor/id909566003?mt=12

You'll need to know what your CPU is shown as in About this Mac before you start. For mine it was shown as Intel Xeon Quad-Core.

Once that's installed open Finder and navigate to, Copy the AppleSystemInfo file to your Desktop and make an extra copy in the Documents to be sure. Now rename the original file inside the framework to AppleSystemInfoBackup.

Once you've done that open iHex and drag the AppleSystemInfo file onto the iHex window. From here you can expand the window so it's easier to read.

Now in the menu bar choose, Edit > Find > Find and change the type to Text and search for CPU. Your screen should look something like this,

Now find the Intel CPU string that you system is showing and note how many characters long it is. This includes the spaces. For my example Intel Xeon is 10 long was changed to AMD FX4300 which is also 10.

Once you've done that from the Menu bar choose File > Save. A popup may appear, just click on Save.

Now you need to open up Terminal and enter this command,
Code: Select all
sudo codesign -f -s - ~/Desktop/AppleSystemInfo

Enter your password and you should see "replacing existing signature". Once that's done put the modified file back inside the Framework and open up About this Mac. You should now see your changes :thumbup:

Enjoy.

This topic has 27 replies
You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Advertising